Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The death of the ctyi legends

Options
  • 10-01-2004 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

Ok this may seem like a werid topic but its been bugging me lately. The first yr i went to ctyi was the last yr of many of the greats i.e. jack (well his last official yr) and each yr there have been less and less of the people whom every1 knows, the people who are not just part of ctyi history but are ctyi history.

Also the innovation of the early ctyi'rs has not been replicated in the yrs i have been there, sure people are still talking of spoonies and wearing bathrobs but no one is starting any thing new, except for the holidays of session two this yr or so im tld. Well thats all i have on that but tell me what u think about it or even if u think i just have to much time on my hands.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

You really have no idea how relevant this is today of all days. R.I.P. and God rest you, Friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Where are the snowdens of yesteryear? (a pat on the head for those who id the quote)

I have noticed the decline. In a way, its good to have less "legends", as it means more mingling, without fearing this clique of elite CTYIers. But in other ways, it's BAD. For my first 2 sessions, there WERE legends.. In-session legends, but not ones that lived on. Now there are people that pretty much everyone can identify by look, but dont really know. the TRUE (i use this phrase with trepidation) legends were people who everyone knew to see and to talk to, and pretty much everyone liked.. Not like a popularity issue, but something that showed that the person was a cool person to know.

I knew the concept had pretty much died when i noticed that someone from s1 2002 who i held very little respect for (in fact, he was quite an arsehole) was classed as a legend.

*sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

RIP. ... I'd add a comment but just can't find a fitting one...

I was lucky enough to be in an RA group with some legends my first year. Their names haven't lived on and now they're just blokes. It's sad but CTYI doesn't last after you lose touch with the people there (which you do after a year or two of being a nevermore).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

RIP...

Only just heard and am in shock, didn't know about any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I guess all thats been said has been said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

ok, i really didn't know what i did. and if i upset any1 im truly sorry.It was pure coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

You weren't to know.

Lads it's just hard on everyone who knew him right now. He was one of the greatest.

Fionnuala

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

I still don't really know what to say...

RIP, I'll miss you terribly.

Ian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Plasticman

I couldn't believe it when I heard it. *sigh* I'm sorry to say I rarely saw him after s1 2001, but it really does bring the reality down on you. I'll miss him though, great guy.

Although this thread does bring sad thoughts to the top, personally I think that this thread should stay, just as a sort of in memorium thing...

All that can be said is RIP.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Maybe a new thred should be started to allow people to say a little something, if they feel it necessary.

I don't mean something heavy but ah I dunno... Haven't been able to think straight since I heard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Plasticman

Yeah, I know how you feel. I've been actually physically shaking since I heard. Really scares you.

I'd like to put my full support behind Neil in his closing of the board in respect. I'm not at all religious, but at times like this I really hope there is an afterlife for people who had so much potential and all their life to use it, and are cruelly denied their chance.

Advertisement