Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Miller a mercenary?

• 10-01-2004 3:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

It came up in the other thread a bit. Just wondering what people think.
    Personally, I think he is. He's effectively jumped ship the moment a bigger opportunity presented itself. He hasn't even allowed the club who supported him for 5 years of mediocricity to gain a transfer fee from him. It just strikes me of having absolutley no loyalty to a club. In fairness, you see in Europe players like Chivu, Van Nistlerooy and Ronaldo allowing the clubs they left make big transfer fees from their move. What exactly would have stopped Miller signing say a 2/3 year contract, playing next season (he'll get FAR more games at Parhead next season than Old Trafford) and then leaving for Utd at the end of next season for a substantial transfer fee? Maybe he's afraid he could be found out this season.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Maybe he wants to play for the team he supported as a child and move onto a bigger move. The real question here is why Celtic allowed themselves get into this position as well.

Its a bit strong and a bit rich to call him a mercenary, all professional footballers really are. They offer there services for money, if another club comes in and makes an attractive offer they would be stupid not to take it.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Celtic or man u....hmm not a very hard one for a young footballer

either a decent team maybe in the top 5-7 of teams in england
    or man u top 2 funds that would make a russian billioner cry (hehe) and a huge fan base

i know which one id pick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

He has all the trademarks of a mercenary. He has effectively left Celtic the moment the first better offer came along. I believe Celtic were trying to sign a contract with him but he was stalling for the utd move. I think there is a loyalty issue here since he was at the club for 5 years doing f**k all. Celtic have played a huge part in creating his career and he's turned his back completely on them. He's perfectly entitled to do that but it strikes me as immoral on his part. If after a year at Utd, Real Madrid express an interest in him, will he leave straight away for them as well? He just seems to be chasing the money tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

In fairness he asked for an improved contract much earlier and was ignored. He thne hit rich form and when offers came in celtic responded.

He's currently on 800 a week (yes eight hundred)! If Celtic were stupid enough not to offer him a better deal a while ago then surely he owes them nothing.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Mercenary my arse. He wants to join one of the biggest clubs in the world, earn lots of cash and have a chance at greatness. He's not going to get any of the mentioned three to the same degree at Celtic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

you are on say a tenner an hour with apple and m'soft comes in with a bid of €30 an hour. I know where id be no matter what i felt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Its ironic Vorbis that youre dismissing Miller as a mercenary motivated by base cash - ignoring the fact United arent just the first team to come along but a team hes supported since he was a kid - and a common theme in your complaint is that he didnt sign on for another year or two so Celtic could extort a substansial transfer fee from a potential buyer. Wouldnt that make Celtic mercenaries?

nice twisting Sand.
    You're misinterpeting the meaning of mercenary.
    It would be extorting money but on the other hand Celtic deserve something for launching his career. I believe the contract Celtic offered him was 20K a week. It would be hard but I suppose that he might survive for a season at parhead on that.

kaids your attitude seems to be that no good player should ever have to show any kind of loyalty to the vlub that launched them.

B-k-dzr a more proper analogy would be if Apple had paid sick leave for you for a year and you left for Microsoft on the day of your return. If this wasn't an Irish player, people might be able to see it a bit more clearly. Imagine if Ronaldo had been able to go to Real for nothing after recovering from his injuries. Do you think that would have been perfectly justifiable?

As for Miller, he's only 22, knows that theres about 6 players competing for the 2 midfield spots at Old Trafford and yet wants to go there now. If he plays more than 10 games next season, I'll be amazed. Money seems to be the main reason for his move. Apparently this "Man utd are my heroes along with Celic" stuff has only surfaced recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

You're misinterpeting the meaning of mercenary.
    It would be extorting money but on the other hand Celtic deserve something for launching his career. I believe the contract Celtic offered him was 20K a week. It would be hard but I suppose that he might survive for a season at parhead on that.

Utds offer was obviously more appealing to Miller than Celtics so who can blame him for getting the best deal for himself. Why was he not on a long term contract . That's a very romantic vision you have of football but Its a business and people are
    head hunted in all walks of life everyday. Its Celtics fault that they did not secure their asset on a decent contract.
    Imagine if Ronaldo had been able to go to Real for nothing after recovering from his injuries. Do you think that would have been perfectly justifiable?

How long have you been a football fan, have you ever heard of Mc Manaman, Campbell, and Kewell to lesser extent. All these players moved without their clubs getting their value, its nothing new and its the clubs own fault.
    Apparently this "Man utd are my heroes along with Celic" stuff has only surfaced recently.
    :rolleyes:

What sort of rubbish is that, its well documented that he is a united fan since childhood with Keano being his idol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Christsake! The man was'nt offered a decent new contract he was sought out by the biggest club in England what player with ambition would'nt move south?

I heard Miller quoted as saying he was delighted to be playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world...if Celtic were one of them and he though so, he would'nt have said that!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

This kid has potential pace, ability to unravel defences and gets goals. Bear in mind The PL is a whole diff ball game but he seems to have the right attitute. He won't be loaned out though thats not Utd's policy. Why is he being compared to Keane though? he's an attacking mid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by vorbis
    ..Imagine if Ronaldo had been able to go to Real for nothing after recovering from his injuries. Do you think that would have been perfectly justifiable?

not a very good example there. Ronaldo did move to real for nothing . also smuckers people compare him to keane becasue he's an all round midfielder just like keane was at 22.

keane becasue he's an all round midfielder just like keane was at 22.

And he's from Cork but if he turns out like Keano we'll forgive him that.;)

Smuckers I think the similarty lies in his workrate and passing ability too but he is not as defensive as keano as you say. Maybe thats a side of his game united intend to improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

As I said in another thread:

We’re all disappointed to see him go, but later on today we’ll be signing an extremely promising young midfielder (Pearson), a boy who is over the moon to be joining his boyhood heroes and who is leaving a mightily pissed off club and bunch of fans in his wake; sound familiar?

You haven't got a clue vorbis. This deal had absolutely nothing to do with money bacause Celtic offered him more than United (he would have been the highest paid Celtic player after Larsson and one of the highest paid players in Scottish history). You said Celtic sayed by him through his injury, what do you mean by that? All they did was pay his wages of £46,000 a YEAR (the same as Larsson gets per week), I think he has repaid them by his performances and crucial goals this season.

He owes nothing to the club because Celtic were one of a number of clubs who tried to get Miller at 16 so he would still have broken through the ranks at another club anyway (probably without the injury).

He will get his chance at United and I can see him being a permanent name in the starting 11 since Keane won't be playing much next season and Butt will move on. He doesn't have as much competition as you think because without Keane the centre of midfield is average. There may be a lot of players fighting for the position but if Miller plays at his best he won't have a problem. Wise move for the lad.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by smuckers
    This kid has potential pace, ability to unravel defences and gets goals. Bear in mind The PL is a whole diff ball game but he seems to have the right attitute. He won't be loaned out though thats not Utd's policy. Why is he being compared to Keane though? he's an attacking mid.
    Well Keane was an all round midfielder when he was younger, now he plays an anchor role. I think its more or less his "engine" that gives him the Roy Keane tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

Football is a business, and players have jobs. Loyalty can only count for so much. I think it's disappointing he has chosen to leave having hardly started his senior career with Celtic, but I can understand why he's doing it. Personally, if I was the manager I'd send him off to the reserves for the rest of his time there.

When you're contracting with somebody for cash they you can't expect much loyalty. If Miller had endured a career ending injury just before signing a contract do you think Celtic or Man Utd would give him anything? No, they'd have been out the door before his cast set. Football is littered with players who incurred injuries and soon found out exactly how much loyalty is involved with football. He got a better offer, and he took it, as is his right. As I said already it is very disappointing for Celtic, but let's not get misty eyed over how much compassion and loyalty is involved in such matters. It's business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭ChumpStain

We should also mention that Roy Keane recommended Miller to Fergie two years ago. So its not like they only bought him because hes played good this season. And besides we'll all see how loyal people can be if Houllier gets the sack, do you really think O'Neill will resist? There really is no loyalty in football you just want to play for the best to be the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

no he is not a mercenary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Larsson is going to move for free in the summer to join another club, does that make him a mercenary ? Is Larsson exempt because he's scored alot of goals for Celtic ? Could Larsson not have signed a contract so that Celtic could at least get a transfer fee for him ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

£800 a week is an absolute joke. hes worth more than that. even 20k per week is humble in football today with the likes of crespo and keane earning £125,000 per week. i would jump at a chance to join one of the worlds top 3 clubs. hes almost gauranteed CL football every year provided hes good enough to make the team and i am sure he is. the premiership is a much more competitve league than the spl. hes not gonna become a world class player facing the likes of Dunfermline and Aberdeen every week.

• Advertisement

Larsson has provide many years of value to Celtic. Miller has provide one decent season. Also how are people so sure that he would have developed just as well at another club. If he was at a club like Leeds, he could be part of that current mire. Instead he has had the opportunity to play a key role in several Champions League matches. The fact is another year a parhead would probably do more for his career than next season at Old Trafford. Also I think Miller will get 25K per week so how does that show he moved for anything other than money?

p.s. Big Ears
    "Ronaldo did move to real for nothing"
    Ronaldo moved for about 30 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

i dont think miller is, fair play to him as he supported them all his life.The standard of footabll is the spl is crap, on a par with league of ireland football so why shouldnt he take a chance with one of the best clubs in the ireland.Its good for ireland long term so stop complaining!!!!!.And all this and i dont even support utd, i support liverpool but thats a whole different story altogether as we are crap at the moment but seem to be getting results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Grom

Ffs Vorbis are you on drugs.Put your self in his shoes if celtic valued him that much and new what a talent he was why not offer him a contract when he wanted it after all man u were looking into him since roy first told fergie bout him.Im a celtic fan but are you telling me if you were playing for celtic and man u or real approached you, you wouldnt leave.pfft. you would be out the door as fast as you enterd it/

gwan miller he will get the exp at man u that will guide him through his carear.Keano will mould him perfectly and he will be the next big thing like o shea was and he will easily break in and Paul and him will dominate central when keano wont be playing much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

p.s. Big Ears
    "Ronaldo did move to real for nothing"
    Ronaldo moved for about 30 million.

i looked it up and actually it ended up being 40 million. The reason i thought was free was becasue the fee wasnt disclosed until right after the transfer.So becasuse no fee stuck in my mind i had though it was free. But i also didnt know solari was meant to go to inter and becasue he didnt FIFA ordered real to pay 10 million more
    and thats why its 40 not 30 million.

Big Ears it was more a credit note of 10 million for players from the Real squad that Inter iniitially got. The player they wanted was Solari but as you said he didn't want to move.

also grom i'm not on drugs, thanks for asking. What I would have done was sign a new shortish contract, developed for another season as a key member of Celtic's team and then joined Utd. as a genuine talent rather than just a promising young player. As it is, its going to be a least a season before he has any chance to establish himself at Utd. It reminds me of Robbie Keane's move to Inter.

And by the way, if he proves himself to be good enough, he WILL be playing.

Keane won't be playing as much football next year anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Celtic only have themselves to blame on this one, if they were so desperate to keep Miller and 'develop his footballing potential' why didn't they extend his contract a year ago, and offer him a realistic wage?

You can hardly blame the lad from wanting to move from a two-team backwater league where they won't pay him properly or give him regular first team football, to one of the biggest clubs in the world where he'll be paid properly, whatever about the first team football for the first couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Posted by Vorbis

What I would have done was sign a new shortish contract,

What the hell is a shortish contract? I'd imagine that any contract would be for a minimum of 3 years unless your over 30.

The fact is Miller's contract runs out at the end of the season. He is currently on 800 euros a week and Celtic are hardly setting the world alight with the speed of the new contract they have offered the Boy. So why should Miller sit and wait for a new contract when he has a chance move to a bigger club for 40 times what he is being paid now. It doesn't make him ungrateful it just makes him human.

Anyway Miller knows himself that O'Neill prob won't be at Celtic in August. It would be foolish for any player at Celtic to Sign a new contract now.

Posted by Vorbis

Larsson has provide many years of value to Celtic. Miller has provide one decent season.

Going on wages
    Miller gets 41600 PA, Larrson gets approx 40000 PW
    Hence
    One decent season from Miller = 50 decent seasons from Larsson

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

Yeah some people seem to forget that its actually a football career and lets face it ..being a reserve/on the bench for united beats a celtic team that are refusing to give Miller the investment his talent deserves.Just 'cos its celtic some fools seem to think he should be loyal.Loyalty was NEVER a issue in pro football not even 40 yrs ago.

• Advertisement

I didn't want to respond to this thread any more but this is getting ridiculous. Up to this season, Miller was effectively a youth player(reserve at best). No club in the world plays a player a that level that much. Celtic have also ben trying to make him sign a contract for the last few months(november I think). Also will people please get over this fixation of believing that a player is somehow a nobody if he isn't at Arsenal, Man U etc. Personally, I believe Miller would make more of an impact at Utd joining next season. He's nowhere near as established as Keane was when he joined Utd.

p.s. I'm sure most people here are earning normal wages. It seems so strange that most people are up in arms over Miller currently getting a "paltry" 800 per week and only being offered a miserly "20,000 per week".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

Lets step back for a second..................

Lets say for a second that an English or a European player was at a club since he was 16.
    He was pron to injury and thus never developed as fast as he should/could.
    However the club in question kept faith with him and finally he suddenly bursts onto the big stage after finaly getting a period of sustained fitness!
    The crowd love him as one of their own, which they think he is.
    The manager thinks hes got a huge talent, alright, hes is a little rigid in picking his established players but many are comming to the end of their careers so its only a matter of time for this young English/European player.
    Hes on **** wages of course (as are most young squad players) and looks for a far superior package but the club mess things up as they are a shabby operation and drag out the talks but eventually come up with the best package in the history of the country for a player of that age.
    BUT in the mean time the player has had secret discussions with another bigger club without telling his current manager or team mates and is told to wait out his contract and move in the summer for a free to become a sqaud player again, ok a very well paid squad player, but a squad player none the less at this bigger club.

Now what would you think of this fella?
    Alright from this English/European players point of view it makes sense because he wants to get the best deal for himself but what does it tell ye about his character as a person and his loyalties?

The though of a guy of such low character wearing an Ireland jersey makes me sick.
    Miller is a disgrace.

If I was to be offered a chance to play for my two favourite clubs then I'd take the chance to do it. Without a second thought. You very rarely get two chances to play for Man Utd. If he had signed that contract he wouldn't have got the chance to play for them again. It is that simple. It's Celtic's fault for not offering a decent enough contract for long enough.

He's just showing ambition by joining Man United. Being at Celtic isn't going to improve him as a player. And how do you know he is going to be a squad player at United? If he is good enough to start, he'll start. So quit whinging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭SAXA

Would this thread even exist if Miller had left say Burnley under the same set of Circumstances. I think not . Most people would be happy for him if a bit worried he might not get his game always. So it just because he is leaving Celtic that he is being called a merc.

Name a celtic player that has signed a contract recently. Very few if any cause M O'N is on his way out to bigger things this summer prob. The board will not give him any money cause the new manager will want his own squad. Miller or any other player do not know where they stand after O' Neill goes so he was right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Posted by Vorbis
    I didn't want to respond to this thread any more but this is getting ridiculous.

Whats ridiculous about it. Is it because your are 1 of 3 people that actually think Miller is a mercenary. Just because your opinion is not reflected in 90% of comments is not a reason for you to brand the discussion ridiculous.

It makes no difference that you did respond to the thread anyway because you just said the same rubbish anyway.

Let me ask you a question my friend. If you worked in a factory for 5 years and they were paying you 400 euro a week and another more stable company offered to pay you 15,000 euro a week, would you take the job or not. I know I would. I don't think it would mean I was disloyal in any way just sowed I had some common sense.
    Posted by AmenToThat
    Now what would you think of this fella?
    Alright from this English/European players point of view it makes sense because he wants to get the best deal for himself but what does it tell ye about his character as a person and his loyalties?

The though of a guy of such low character wearing an Ireland jersey makes me sick.
    Miller is a disgrace.

What does it tell me about his character? Alot Actually. It tells me that he is not afraid to take a step forward. Ok he may not break into the Utd team straight but he at least has the Character to believe that he can.

What does it tell me about his Loyalty? Well he has been at the club for 6 years and at the moment he is a fringe player. He is getting payed 800 quid a week and the manager is leaving in the summer. It tells me that he has payed his dues. 6years is pretty loyal. Is Martin O'Neil Disloyal? He hasn't been at the club for 6 years and he is leaving at the end of the year for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

Originally posted by SAXA
    Would this thread even exist if Miller had left say Burnley under the same set of Circumstances. t

Would the comments by people here be the same if he wasnt Irish?

Of course not!

Name me 6 other players in recent times who have acted in the same manner that Miller has?
    Then tell me how the fans of those clubs who got shafted reacted when these player did the dirt?

Miller has been continually saying in interviews since he started making a name for himself this season that he loved Celtic fc was happy at the club and wanted a new contract!

Hes a hypocrit and most of the mob on this board arent far behind him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

p.s. I'm sure most people here are earning normal wages. It seems so strange that most people are up in arms over Miller currently getting a "paltry" 800 per week and only being offered a miserly "20,000 per week".

You have to treat like with like - 800 pw is paltry for a footballer who can command 30 times that. Obviously, for those in 'normal' jobs 800 pw is a lot, but comparison between the 2 doesn't tell us much.

Originally posted by SAXA SAXA
    Would this thread even exist if Miller had left say Burnley under the same set of Circumstances. I think not . Most people would be happy for him if a bit worried he might not get his game always. So it just because he is leaving Celtic that he is being called a merc.

Good point. It seems that it is near heresy in some peoples eyes that an irish player would even dare leave Celtic. The fact is that it's a job , and while the rewards are great, the careers last a relativly short time, so players have to the get the best options for themselves when the oppertunities arise. Would people call him a mercenary if he had left Man Utd for Celtic under similar cirumstances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

I think ambitious is the word you're looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭SAXA

Originally posted by AmenToThat
    Would the comments by people here be the same if he wasnt Irish?

Of course not!

Name me 6 other players in recent times who have acted in the same manner that Miller has?
    Then tell me how the fans of those clubs who got shafted reacted when these player did the dirt?

Miller has been continually saying in interviews since he started making a name for himself this season that he loved Celtic fc was happy at the club and wanted a new contract!

Hes a hypocrit and most of the mob on this board arent far behind him.

Get a life. If you cannot win a arguement without throwing a tantrum you should not be on this thread. Maybe it's past your bedtime and you are a little cranky !!!!
    Stick to the point an leave the personal remarks out.

{QUOTE

Posted By Amen to That

Name me 6 other players in recent times who have acted in the same manner that Miller has?[/QUOTE]

Angelo Peruzzi

Bixente Lizarazu (Bayern Munchen)
    Johan Mjallby (Celtic)
    Jonathan Zebina (AS Roma)
    Hatem Trabelsi * (Ajax Amsterdam)

Yildiray Basturk (Bayer Leverkusen)
    Dejan Stankovic (Lazio)
    Edgar Davids (Juventus)
    Mehdi Mahdavikia (Hamburger SV)

Sylvain Wiltord (Arsenal)
    Henrik Larsson (Celtic)

Substitutes
    GK Jorg Stiel (Borussia Monchengladbach)
    DF Jackie McNamara (Celtic)
    CD David Unsworth (Everton)
    CM Muzzy Izzet (Leicester City)
    AM Jay-Jay Okocha (Bolton Wanderers)
    AM Olivier Kapo (Auxerre)
    LW Javier De Pedro (Real Sociedad)
    FW Nwankwo Kanu (Arsenal)
    ST Victor Agali (Schalke)
    ST Dado Prso (Monaco)

Heres a full team of people available on a bosman this summer. Thats not to mention Steve Mc Manaman and Sol Campbell two very Valuable Players that their Clubs got nothing for when there was lots of Money In the game. Are they a disgrace as well for Looking after their best interest? Leeds got peanuts for Harry Kewell and we all know they needed as much as they could get. If you want to talk about loyalty what about Kanu at arsenal being deprived of his £45.000 a week from next season on after being let go by the club. Show me the loyalty in that .
    Football is business and each side will do what they feel is best for themselves as any of us would there is no disgrace or hypocrisy in that.

The only disgrace I have seen in this thread is some of the comments about a young Irish player who is trying to do the best for himself in his chosen career. The people saying those thing about him are the Hypocrites and disgraces because in his position they would do the very same.

I agree fully with saxa's comments above .

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

And on that sensible note I suggest the thread should be locked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

As a Celtic fan it was dissapointing to see him leave but I think the club have a lot to answer for.

First of all when they saw him making a major breakthrough early in the season they should have tried to tie him down immediately.

Secondly the situation with MON is still unclear. Maybe Miller feels MON wont be there next season and would prefer to move on.

He is definitely not a mercenary. Only someone trying to get to the top of his trade.

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Angelo Peruzzi

Bixente Lizarazu (Bayern Munchen)
    Johan Mjallby (Celtic)
    Jonathan Zebina (AS Roma)
    Hatem Trabelsi * (Ajax Amsterdam)

Yildiray Basturk (Bayer Leverkusen)
    Dejan Stankovic (Lazio)
    Edgar Davids (Juventus)
    Mehdi Mahdavikia (Hamburger SV)

Sylvain Wiltord (Arsenal)
    Henrik Larsson (Celtic)

Substitutes
    GK Jorg Stiel (Borussia Monchengladbach)
    DF Jackie McNamara (Celtic)
    CD David Unsworth (Everton)
    CM Muzzy Izzet (Leicester City)
    AM Jay-Jay Okocha (Bolton Wanderers)
    AM Olivier Kapo (Auxerre)
    LW Javier De Pedro (Real Sociedad)
    FW Nwankwo Kanu (Arsenal)
    ST Victor Agali (Schalke)
    ST Dado Prso (Monaco)

Heres a full team of people available on a bosman this summer. Thats not to mention Steve Mc Manaman and Sol Campbell two very Valuable Players that their Clubs got nothing for when there was lots of Money In the game. Are they a disgrace as well for Looking after their best interest? Leeds got peanuts for Harry Kewell and we all know they needed as much as they could get. If you want to talk about loyalty what about Kanu at arsenal being deprived of his £45.000 a week from next season on after being let go by the club. Show me the loyalty in that .
    Football is business and each side will do what they feel is best for themselves as any of us would there is no disgrace or hypocrisy in that.

The only disgrace I have seen in this thread is some of the comments about a young Irish player who is trying to do the best for himself in his chosen career. The people saying those thing about him are the Hypocrites and disgraces because in his position they would do the very same.

I agree fully with saxa's comments above .
    Spot on!

"and all the Man U. fans sing : Do de doop, doop doop de doop, dopp de doop, doop dooop de doop...shoooooooooop!!!!"

Usual ABU rant but if you bothered read the thread you would see that it's not just Man U fans taking his side. Shouldn,t expect anything constructive from you anyway.:D

Originally posted by The Muppet

Usual ABU rant but if you bothered read the thread you would see that it's not just Man U fans taking his side. Shouldn,t expect anything constructive from you anyway.:D

Ohh, who has his tight grouchy pants on this morning.

If you wanna label me anABU go ahead, for teh record, I'm not, but everyone here holds you opinion in such high esteem I'm sure I can survive your taunts.

I've just noticed how many threads here have been highjacked into the usually slagging/trolling Man U Vs. The World crap by you guys.

No wonder alot of posters don't bother here anymore.

I've just noticed how many threads here have been highjacked into the usually slagging/trolling Man U Vs. The World crap by you guys.

TBH theres very little of that lately with the odd notably exception.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Originally posted by galwaydude
    i dont think miller is, fair play to him as he supported them all his life.The standard of footabll is the spl is crap, on a par with league of ireland football so why shouldnt he take a chance with one of the best clubs in the ireland.Its good for ireland long term so stop complaining!!!!!.And all this and i dont even support utd, i support liverpool but thats a whole different story altogether as we are crap at the moment but seem to be getting results.

ok you all seem to think miller is this fantastic "gonna be the next big thing" player, you say the spl is crap yet miller was anonymous in ALOT of those spl games, he played a blinder against anderlecht and a few decent games at spl level...

decent season? he broke through to the first team and got a good few starts and was brought off the bench a good few times and some of you people actually expect that he will start for utd next season? i would advise you take off those blinkers you seem to be wearing.

If you actually watched the spl you would realise this, miller didnt stand out in the spl, he is just a young promising player, and that was in the scottish league. I liked him and wanted him to stay on at celtic as i thought he would turn out to be a great player but i think alot of you over rate him..

good luck to the lad anyway trying to break into utd's team, i think he will need it.

Personally in my opinion he would have been better off sticking it out for another year or so with celtic, chalk up more first team experience (which he wont be getting for utd.) and become a better player for it.

is he a mercenary? no he isnt. was he foolish? i would say so yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Originally posted by astrofool
    Larsson is going to move for free in the summer to join another club, does that make him a mercenary ? Is Larsson exempt because he's scored alot of goals for Celtic ? Could Larsson not have signed a contract so that Celtic could at least get a transfer fee for him ?

larsson put in the best part of his career with celtic, the best 7 years ive had to be a celtic supporter and he is the best player ive seen (in my life) to grace the inside of parkhead. Im gutted he is leaving but he loves celtic and thats why he devoted most of his playing days to them, celtic fans realise this. He has always said for a few seasons that he initially planned to move his family back over to sweden, now theres talk that he may get an opportunity to play for a season or so in la liga or the premiership and it has tempted him.

is larsson a mercenary? dont make me laugh...

So much heart to the shirt, and devotion kept him there for 7 years, that and the supporters i imagine :p... and that is something which you dont see alot of in football nowadays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Originally posted by syke
    No wonder alot of posters don't bother here anymore.

So true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by smuckers
    He won't be loaned out though thats not Utd's policy.

er, what are you talking about? They bought a club in belgium for that exact reason. Nearly all the younger utd players like o shea and fletcher played for that feeder club (bruges? ghent?).

Having said that, i hate the way miller is referred to as a young up and coming player. Hes 22 for gods sake:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement