Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Miller a mercenary?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

IMO Miller isn't a mercenary, but then again I'm a united supporter, so what do I know :rolleyes:

Footballers have a relatively short career span, so I'm a firm believer of maximising one's wealth while one can.

That takes care of the money side of things!!

In relation to Miller's loyalty to Celtic, I don't believe that he is being disloyal in leaving Celtic, but my opinion on this is shaded by the fact that it isn't having a detrimental effect on united ... i'm sure if it was a united player that was doing it, I'd be flipping my lid too ...

IMO the real crux of the issue is not really about loyalty and more about outrage that an Irish player could ever leave Celtic ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Big Chief
    ok you all seem to think miller is this fantastic "gonna be the next big thing" player, you say the spl is crap yet miller was anonymous in ALOT of those spl games, he played a blinder against anderlecht and a few decent games at spl level...

decent season? he broke through to the first team and got a good few starts and was brought off the bench a good few times and some of you people actually expect that he will start for utd next season? i would advise you take off those blinkers you seem to be wearing.

If you actually watched the spl you would realise this, miller didnt stand out in the spl, he is just a young promising player, and that was in the scottish league. I liked him and wanted him to stay on at celtic as i thought he would turn out to be a great player but i think alot of you over rate him..

good luck to the lad anyway trying to break into utd's team, i think he will need it.

Personally in my opinion he would have been better off sticking it out for another year or so with celtic, chalk up more first team experience (which he wont be getting for utd.) and become a better player for it.

is he a mercenary? no he isnt. was he foolish? i would say so yes.
    I would agree with you that I don't see Miller as anything special but you should not just judging Miller's ability by his performance on the pitch. I have never heard as much praise for a player, by the people that know him best, in my life. A load of his teamates, ex-Celtic players, his manager, his ex-manager (when he was on loan in Holland), his international manager and international teamates have all seen what Miller can do (not just on the pitch) and they all see him as the next big thing. We have heard players getting praised by pundits and the like but he has to be something special to get all that praise from the people who know best.

BTW - Big Chief, what is different in Pearson's move?

He has done exactly what Miller did. He moved to the team he has supported all his life and leaving a pissed off club and a buch of fans behind. The only difference is Celtic agreed to pay a couple of hundred grand for Pearson but that is only a fraction of his potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Well one thing is for certain he wont be playing much at Parkhead

Originally posted by kmart6
    Well one thing is for certain he wont be playing much at Parkhead
    MON said that as long as Miller is contracted with Celtic he is still considered an important squad member. He's out for about 5/6 weeks now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by vorbis
    It came up in the other thread a bit. Just wondering what people think.
    Personally, I think he is. He's effectively jumped ship the moment a bigger opportunity presented itself. He hasn't even allowed the club who supported him for 5 years of mediocricity to gain a transfer fee from him. It just strikes me of having absolutley no loyalty to a club. In fairness, you see in Europe players like Chivu, Van Nistlerooy and Ronaldo allowing the clubs they left make big transfer fees from their move. What exactly would have stopped Miller signing say a 2/3 year contract, playing next season (he'll get FAR more games at Parhead next season than Old Trafford) and then leaving for Utd at the end of next season for a substantial transfer fee? Maybe he's afraid he could be found out this season.

and you wouldnt leave your job for better pay, higher profile, better chance of travel abroad, or industry giants would you?

no, im sure you wouldnt. in fact, if you were his agent, you would have advised him to stay wouldnt you?

fair dues to him. if he has the talent and can use it in a better team in a better league with better prospects, then shoot ofr the stars my son, and leave these begrudging celtic supporters to their bitterness.

as for found out, my gran wouldnt be found outin the SPL, and shes been ded for 10 years. scottish football sucks.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    MON said that as long as Miller is contracted with Celtic he is still considered an important squad member. He's out for about 5/6 weeks now though.
    As is Nicky Butt at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

well i may not be happy now about miller leaving but if he becomes a better player for it and could do better for ireland because of this il be happy. It appears that some of u put celtic before ireland. Oh well best of luck to him.

Originally posted by Big Ears
    well i may not be happy now about miller leaving but if he becomes a better player for it and could do better for ireland because of this il be happy. It appears that some of u put celtic before ireland. Oh well best of luck to him.
    I agree with you that a lot of people are putting Celtic over Ireland in this case but a lot of them probably believe that Miller will fail at United therefore bad for Celtic and Ireland. Also, I am sure that the Irish-Nottm Forest fans want Reid to stay with them as long as possible or the Blackburn fans wanted Duff to stay with them, etc, etc.
    Although, the Irish people that are saying they hope Miller rots in the United reserves just don't deserve to be an Ireland supporter and are just as bad, if not worse, then Roy Keane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

the Irish people that are saying they hope Miller rots in the United reserves just don't deserve to be an Ireland supporter and are just as bad, if not worse, then Roy Keane

At least with Roy Keane they waited until after Saipan before the ridiculed him, They are starting on Miller just as his career is starting. You're right that they dont deserve to be call Ireland Supporters, because clearly they are not.

BTW if miller fails at United he is failing at the highest level, United will not make him a worse player as seems to be suggested here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

Muppet that last comment is a bit naieve. Robbie Keane's move to Inter for instance set him back years. The same could well happen to Miller. Theres absolutley no guarrantee that moving to a big club will make you a better player. Look at Henry's move to Juventus or Vieira's move to Milan. Both were huge clubs yet neither were a success there. Also what about Kluivert's and Bergkamp's moves to Ac and Inter respectively, both flopped. The fact is a player should appreciate a club where he is playing well and getting on with the other team members. That doesn't mean Miller should stay at Celtic for life, just that it would have been more beneficial for him to stay there at the moment.

Originally posted by vorbis
    Muppet that last comment is a bit naieve. Robbie Keane's move to Inter for instance set him back years. The same could well happen to Miller. Theres absolutley no guarrantee that moving to a big club will make you a better player. Look at Henry's move to Juventus or Vieira's move to Milan. Both were huge clubs yet neither were a success there. Also what about Kluivert's and Bergkamp's moves to Ac and Inter respectively, both flopped. The fact is a player should appreciate a club where he is playing well and getting on with the other team members. That doesn't mean Miller should stay at Celtic for life, just that it would have been more beneficial for him to stay there at the moment.

that entire commecnt is a bit náive.

just because you dont succeed in a club, does not mean you are not a good player.
    it means that the players around you dont suit.
    that the style of play of the club, or the league doesnt suit.
    that theres a barrier to communication.
    anything.
    there are many reasons why footballers dont automatically become stars in a new club.

you havent given one good reason why he should stay, just been negative about why he shouldnt go.

i think you are just bitter. Im sure no man utd supporter thought cantona should retire, but that was his choice. respect the man for his choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I think vorbis has a point, Hes not saying that a move to Utd will make him a worse player, just that theres no guarentee that hell fit in there.

As an Ireland fan, i just hope he doesnt rot in the reserves.

Muppet that last comment is a bit naieve.

Vorbis I take your point about there being no guarantees, but some of the comments here give him no chance of breaking into uniteds first team, I think he will but as you say there are no guarantees. United have a proven track record in bringing young players through, the examples you mention do not.

Dustaz there is always a risk that transfers won't work out for any number of reasons, I share your hope that this one will. If it does not Miller will be able to say he gave it his best shot rather than regretting turning down the chance of a lifetime in years to come.

Originally posted by Dustaz
    I think vorbis has a point, Hes not saying that a move to Utd will make him a worse player, just that theres no guarentee that hell fit in there.

As an Ireland fan, i just hope he doesnt rot in the reserves.

and i bet ole gunnar is really miserable on his 40 grand a week and playing 15 minutes at the end of each game (and scoring 10)!

i think vorbis' is using a rather bad 'what if' scenario to try and justify being píssed off that a player he likes is leaving his club.

hey, i was annoyed when that turncoat judas bástard fúcker campbell left spurs to go to arsenal, but hey, get over it.

as muppet said, any transfer could go wrong. but if you dont do it, how will you know?
    who would have thought two argentine footballers in the late 70s and early 80s could have such a huge impact on the english game? you reckon ricki villa and ossie ardeilles talk among themselves and said ' you know what honcho, i thenk we better not move, we might not fit in with theese english boys?'
    and ossie turned around to him and told him to **** off!

• Advertisement

hey, i was annoyed when that turncoat judas bástard fúcker campbell left spurs to go to arsenal, but hey, get over it.

Nice to see you've put that behind you. Some Tottenham fans are still bitter about that you know.;)

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Nice to see you've put that behind you. Some Tottenham fans are still bitter about that you know.;)

actually, i think we relied too much on him, and it made us a worse team or it.
    im jnust made we didnt sell him for 20 million to utd when we had the chance!

at least we could have been crap AND rich!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

I think its celtics fault they call themselves one of the biggest clubs in Europe yet they cant secure the services of there top young player . They should have sorted his contract out a long time ago . As for Miller being a mercenary are you really a football fan or what why wouldnt he leave to go to a better league , better club , better money come on man get a grip .

im jnust made we didnt sell him for 20 million to utd when we had the chance!

Yeah Spurs were very short sighted not to take the cash when offered.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

hahaha @ the Campbell stuff :)

how is this thread still going?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

At the end of the day :)
    he's gone to play a much better standard of football (and i dont even support man u) :).
    He gets to play against the best teams in england if he makes the team week in week out. Along with the best teams in Europe.
    I know its going to cause ructions but i gotta say it - 'anyone who thinks that scottish football is not mickey mouse football really needs a cold shower'

Loyalty has nothing to do with football. Its a job like any other.
    You go to the better company. The one that offers you more contacts (tv coverage), glamour (premier dairies or Intel) andf potential for improvement.
    Why should you have loyalty. They'll boot you as soon as it suits them no matter how long you've been with them.
    Celtic got good service from him and its their own fault (and the SPLs) that they could not entice him to stay.

He has every right to move and good luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    At the end of the day :)
    he's gone to play a much better standard of football (and i dont even support man u) :).
    He gets to play against the best teams in england if he makes the team week in week out. Along with the best teams in Europe.
    I know its going to cause ructions but i gotta say it - 'anyone who thinks that scottish football is not mickey mouse football really needs a cold shower'

Loyalty has nothing to do with football. Its a job like any other.
    You go to the better company. The one that offers you more contacts (tv coverage), glamour (premier dairies or Intel) andf potential for improvement.
    Why should you have loyalty. They'll boot you as soon as it suits them no matter how long you've been with them.
    Celtic got good service from him and its their own fault (and the SPLs) that they could not entice him to stay.

He has every right to move and good luck to him.

what he said.

Advertisement