Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esats Young Scientists Browser going commercial

• 10-01-2004 9:14am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.enn.ie/frontpage/news-9386805.html

This should be fun once it goes on the net people will have a good luck and really see what kinda browser this lad put together.

So is this guy working for Microsoft yet?, says he was offered a job and if he decides not to work for MS surely he'll have to sort something out with them since his browser is based on Internet Explorer?

Also don't you need to pay a fee for devices/software that plays DVD's? not to mention similar issues with playing certain video content for example Mpeg.

He has aptly named the new hyperspeed technology "Icarus," the boy in the Greek myth who with wax wings flew too near the Sun. Unlike Icarus, Osmani does not plan to crash into the sea.

I almost split myself when I read that bit :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I wish i'll be like that when 17!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I really feel sorry for the lad, it appears its no more than IE with a few plugins, somehow duped the retarded judges who got blindsighted by this 6x faster crap(cause at 7x it crashed). We`ve waited over a year after the hype, methinks he`s being doing lots of Find+replace with his code. As i said i feel sorry for him, as the truth will come out and we as a nation will look like muppets.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by bazH
    methinks he`s being doing lots of Find+replace with his code. As i said i feel sorry for him, as the truth will come out and we as a nation will look like muppets.

Yeah I think he's going to have to modify half his codfe BIG TIME, otherwise the tech net public will ripp the poor lad apart once the see his browser.
    As for our nation, blame the judges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

:p:o:p hope its better that Opera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I think people are looking for a more fast non bloaty browser like mozilla firebird , wud be interesting to test Mozilla, IE , Opera and Xwebs(icarus) together. I think we know the winner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by bazH
    I really feel sorry for the lad, it appears its no more than IE with a few plugins, somehow duped the retarded judges who got blindsighted by this 6x faster crap(cause at 7x it crashed). We`ve waited over a year after the hype, methinks he`s being doing lots of Find+replace with his code. As i said i feel sorry for him, as the truth will come out and we as a nation will look like muppets.

I would agree with the sentiments above. He was hyped by a few non-technical journalists who did not understand the technology but knew a good story when they saw one.

The latest ENN story is a nice follow up but ENN has never had any reputation for technological expertise and the story looks like a plant.

Apparently some of the judges considered elements to be innovative. The problem with this is two fold. The first is that I get very worried when academics talk about innovation. The second is disclosure. Surely publically disclosing and demonstrating the software/code would void any hopes of a patent. The European patents system is also software unfriendly. A third potential problem is that any Intellectual Property rights are as yet unclear.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Maybe the rds has a dsl connection and no one told the judges ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

"The so-called "hyperspeed" technology worked by making multiple requests for the information on a Web page in several small data streams. "

does this sound feasible at all to anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Yeah, some download managers use it.

It's not very "polite" though... imagine if everyone's browser was doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

If its based on IE then there are already exploites in it, it will be hacked and cracked like everything else......

Mozilla Firebird is the best.

Thanks joePC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by sionnach
    "The so-called "hyperspeed" technology worked by making multiple requests for the information on a Web page in several small data streams. "

Sounds similar to pipe-lining in Mozilla tbh
    I could be wrong

Also somewhat similar, AOL also uses a TopSpeed feature in its AOL9 client that does something that sounds VERY similar to the hyperspeed technology.

I believe this whole thing is very iffy indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Next he'll be in the courts saying they all stole it from him. :P

Or maybe he licenced it to them. Ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It will only work properly if you are not getting your full download rate on websites. So basically if a 56k is downloading all the content at 5.5k or whatever, multisourcing isn't going to make any difference.

Advertisement