Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Q3 League (IGN Update)

Options
  • 04-03-2000 3:22pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry guys, we did our best to get the servers back online for the weekend but it doesnt look like its going to happen.

The story is thus:

Myself and Slosh went to Eircom to sort things out and met a very nice bloke who is head of Operations there. He likes us (the IGN) lots and is very happy to have us back online. I'm going to do some work for him to test the security of the NT boxen but he isnt happy about the Linux box. (Scoff if you will but this man runs a lot of heavy **** smile.gif )

The Linux box (QW-CA, IRC, Daneel and some other stuff) is now in our flat and is going to be formatted and will probably have openBSD put on it (so we can have IRC and our bots back).

Meanwhile the much promised *new* CA server (slosh.ign.ie) is going to be put in there in the next week.

This will run a variety of games, basically on demand (we'll throw servers up and down like mad on it, so we can play a lot of things on it. QWCA, Q3CA, CS, UT-mutators that sort of stuff). This gives us a machine to muck about with without affecting the performance of the other machines.

The head of operations has left for holidays, and left instructions for our machines to be unblocked (they are grand, they are just refused router access). This shouldnt take long but since he's on holidays its up to us to find the person he instructed to do this, or convince someone else that he really DID want it done.
    Not so easy...

We dont want to be too pushy because we are not in a strong negotiating position smile.gif

Hence the unsurety of timescale for return of the servers.

We're going to put the IGN on a more sure footing as soon as all this blows over, its just not the time to bring it up now.

I would say the servers would return early next week, imho.

Hope this clarifys things...

Tom.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Cheers Dev & the rest!

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Wan the lads ta ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Snaggle

You'd probably want to look at FreeBSD before trying on OpenBSD. They both come from the same code base and are similarly secure (OpenBSD offers a bit more encryption by default admittedly). You'll get a lot more support with FreeBSD, have a lot less hassle overall and if you ever have to install Linux binaries FreeBSD offers top notch emulation (runs Linux Quake 1, 2 & 3 and Linux GL accelerators, I'm actually running Linux HalfLife/Counter Strike server on a FreeBSD machine now). I'd be glad to help if you need any security tips anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Snaggle, its gonna be running on FreeBSD 3.4 - for a while it looked like we'd use OpenBSD, but we'd might need to port ircd to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

Er no you dont Snaggle frown.gif The server seems to be down. Re-Post IP so I can be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

WAN THE BOYO'S cool.gif

You wouldn't need to port ircd to it, just that openBSD doesn't have it on their official ports list, it'll still compile without much bother. Anyway, you'll have a lot less hassle with FreeBSD in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Wyverne

Thanz for the work lads

its much appreciated

This is Commander in chief of the USS Esses, signing off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Yah, thanx for all the effort lads.

Will be good to have Daneel back. We have a great relationship ya know, but hard to explain our feelings towards each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Any chance of a half life counter strike server ? this game rocks, sniping and camping is most fun in this game

• Advertisement

Erm there is/was a HL Counterstrike server smile.gif and Im sure it will be there when the servers come back wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

Ta a lot lads the amount of work that yee put into IGN is fukken Unreal and im sure it is extremly time consuming. With out the work that yee put in there would be no IGN thats without a doubt as we are all to fukken lazy to get off our **** and do something.
    I LOVE YOU GUYS wink.gif

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

There was and certainly will be a CS server when we are back online (within the next 24 hours for sure now)

Thanks Take-It. Cloud really does most of the work now, with his lieutenants Slosh and Regi.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Woohoo smile.gif
    I do hope the Half-Life: TFC servers goes back up too... (F£ck counter strike smile.gif)

- Munch
    - Visit The Fortress

Nice1

Originally posted by Stephen:
    Woohoo smile.gif
    I do hope the Half-Life: TFC servers goes back up too... (F£ck counter strike smile.gif)

Half Price: KFC, come on down to your local KFC and try the colonel's half price southern fried chicken, mixed with umpteen different spices to give it that unique flavour, it's finger licking good.

TFC is a girlier game than tiddly winks, I say shoot to kill, not skidaddle around with 20 MPH rockets, sniper rifles that go hey I'm going to shoot you here if that's alright, scouts that frolick about like lady men. When I play a FPS, I want to hunt down some no good body bag candidate, point a rifle in his face, fire off a burst and see him go down, not chase him and shoot him for 10 minutes while he runs around picking up medikits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

well done lads, good stuff.

but, what does all this have to do with "No Q3 League" .... ?

Advertisement