Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster-v-Sale

• 10-01-2004 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭

I was at the match myself thought it was a good match to watch

Huge crowd around 20,000 thats alot for a Leinster match

I thought the ref had a **** game and especially in the last 8 minutes,Sale were offside every time we had the ball and he did'nt call anything

Leinster were the better team on the night and deserved to win

Whats your thoughts on the match??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Leinster kinda lost it for themselves last night, great atmosphere in Landsdown though. Sale had a fairly good support over with them.

I felt a few of the Leinster players were very off their game, O'Kelly being one in particular. They seemed very lethargic or something particularly in the first half.

They failed to dominate the Line out and Sale's number 4 took well over 90% of them.

I wonder if the early loss of O'Driscoll affected their performance...

Have to agree with you on the ref failing to make some calls mainly in the last few minutes, although I'm only fairly new to all of this so am afraid to comment. :)

Enjoyed the match despite the loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Originally posted by Amz

Have to agree with you on the ref failing to make some calls mainly in the last few minutes, although I'm only fairly new to all of this so am afraid to comment. :)

dont worry about that, you could play rugby for years and still not know all the rules.
    See for yourself here, theres loads of em

http://www.irb.com/laws_regs/index.cfm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I've only started playing myself so am mainly picking up the rules through that. Thanks for the links lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Leinster looked second rate, big vic had his worst performance since he fell apart against france. MOK jumps its the only thing his good at, the fact that Sale moved the ball wide and fast only showed up his weakness around the field. I thought Leinster would put up a way better show at home but ye've got a huge hill to climb to get our of your group on top now.

Gordan Darcy was first rate, I'd have him on the wings for the 6 nations no problem, hope his injury wasn't too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 KevinR

I'd like to see Gordon D'Arcy at full-back for Leinster & Ireland (at least until Murphy is fit again). Dempsey is a very dependable player and is good enough under the high ball, but he offers nothing in attack (compare his performance with Jason Robinson's) I think D'Arcy has improved enormously this season, his kicking and defence were good against Sale and he is a much more dynamic attacking player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

o driscoll was a big loss towards the end their was opportunites that really should of been put to bed, opportunites which were made for him. since the world cup i have become even more of a bigger fan. he is constantly getting better and becoming more of a leader.
    i think there should of been a rest period for the world cup players. most of the english ones are out injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

BOD will be a big loss in the rest of the pool stages. Could do with him against Biarritz although it will be nice to see Quinlan get another go.

As for the match I didn't see much of it but what I did see was that muppet of a referee. He was terrible. Especially with the offsides at the end and the stamping incident on Miller. Touch judges were waving the flags like mad but he seemed to want to do it in his own fu*ked up way.

Leinster are citing the Sale hooker for the incident and in turn Sale decided to cite Ben Gissing but from what I saw of the Gissing incident he didn't touch the opponents head so hopefully nothing will come of that. Can't afford to lose Gissing in the lineout.

The only goos thing to come from the match is the bonus point which keeps us on top of the pool:)

It will be a good match over there and Gary Ella seems confidant that Leinster can get a result.

If you can't beat Sale in your own back yard, there is fup all chance your going to beat them with their home crowd behind them.

Well Gary Ella's logic when he made the statement was that if Sale got a result away from home, then it;s possible for Leinster to do the same. I think it makes sence really. An away win has not been unheard of before as far as I know. Correct me if I'm wrong in that.

IMO if Warner is back and Quinlan is up for a good game then it is possible.

• Advertisement

I'd put Sale winning away from home down to being a better team.

I would put it down to a better all round performance on the day but hey thats a matter of opinion. If we were to judge a teams quality on one performance away from home we could draw a lot of unlogical conclusions.

Stupid conclusions and irrelevant arguements aside the game is an important one for Leinster, anything less than a win will require an away win in Biarritz to top the pool, which will be harder to accomplish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

. . . I'd put it down to Leinster not having a decent number 10 . . . Leek had two chances to take the game with a drop-goal and neither were even close . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Yeh the need an out half

Warner's not to bad though

Gissing got off the siting charge but there lad got six weeks

The E.R.C. are complaining about team's like Sale just siting someone in hope they will get done just cause there player was done

Advertisement