Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Utd abandon Saha bid

• 10-01-2004 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson said Fulham were at fault for the controversy over striker Louis Saha after the London club accused him of bullying tactics in trying to sign the Frenchman.

Fulham have insisted Saha will not be quitting the club to join United in the January transfer window, a decision which has prompted the striker to criticise Fulham boss Chris Coleman for not letting him complete "a dream move".

But Ferguson claimed Fulham worsened the situation by making public the fact they had made an approach for the player.

"We sent them a letter marked private and confidential and they gave it to the press," said Ferguson.

"I spoke to Chris Coleman about the boy at the start of the season and left it there. I never said another word.

"Then we sent them a letter, containing our bid, signed by (chief executive) David Gill, not by Alex Ferguson.

"We did everything right. By sending a letter we did it professionally. There won't be another bid. We don't want any fights. Fulham seem determined to keep the boy so there is nothing we can do about that."

Coleman has warned Saha that he will be dropped if he deliberately plays badly for Fulham.

"If Louis starts playing badly, he'll be out of the team, but that doesn't mean we'll be selling him," said Coleman.

Fullham are going to suffer now as Saha is their only decent striker.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Utd have not abondoned their bid. They have ofered 10m and said there will be no improved offer. Poor form on Fulhams part giving a letter marked private and confidential to the press. Utd should abondon the bid and go for someone else IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

I don't think hes good enough anyway tbh.

Interesting how the Fulham players didn't celebrate with him when he scored at the weekend.

I agree that its not Utd's fault though. They bid for him, he sulked when it was refused. Not their fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Utd have not abondoned their bid. They have ofered 10m and said there will be no improved offer. Poor form on Fulhams part giving a letter marked private and confidential to the press. Utd should abondon the bid and go for someone else IMO.

Why do u assume that Fulham gave out the letter ? It was Saha's agent that made the dealings public, no doubt trying to get some press coverage of his boy.

I Didn't assume anything, I read it somewhere.link

Could you link to the story about Saha's agent leaking the letter please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by The Muppet
    I Didn't assume anything, I read it somewhere.link

Could you link to the story about Saha's agent leaking the letter please?

So the Man United manager says that it was released to the press by Fulham and he is correct ? Coleman has said this, mentioned it after the match on BBC too.

Where is the quote from Coleman saying that Saha's Agent leaked the letter marked private and confidential that United sent Fulham. All I see on your link is an article about Jimmy Hills soccer suppliment TV programme where journalists give their opinions on football issues. Can you link please to the direct quote from Chris Coleman as I have done for Fergie.

You showed me a link showing something AF said, I sent you a link showing something CC said. Each have about as much relevance as the other. A link to Colemans exact words are at www.myhouse.recording_of_the_premiership_on_video.ie feel free to browse here whenever you get a chance.

I don't think it's unrealistic to believe an official statement which I have seen over hear say. I have asked you twice to publish a link to the comments you attribute to Chris Coleman and you have failed to do so. Until I see the actual quote I will assume that these comments were never made and are a figment on your imagination.

That is your prerogative. :rolleyes:

What constitutes an official statement in your eyes ? Is it to mean something said by Alex ferguson ?

• Advertisement

What constitutes an official statement in your eyes ?

I am well aware what constitutes and official statement and an off the record comment for that matter. I think our definitions may vary, in mine The person who the comment is attributed to must have actuallly said it.

For his part, Ferguson claims Fulham made the problem worse by going public with the news of United's offer. "We sent them a letter marked private and confidential and they gave it to the Press," he said.

Advertisement