Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Request] Discman's

• 10-01-2004 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

Looking for a few decent prices on Sony (or any other decent brand) Discman's.
    MP3 not required, though CD-R is.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Hi conZ,
    Where are?? why not trawl the net and you'll get a ball park price then if your in a city look around.
    If you are in Dublin consider Power City.
    BTW Consider one with mp3 as "its better looking at it than looking for it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Xtra-vision sell a decent sony one for i think 54 in the sales at the mo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I bought a Panasonic SL-CT700 one at Xmas. €149. Can play MP3's, CDR/CDRW unclosed which is a huge plus IMO. Means I can use, wipe and reuse CDRW's with MP3's. Tags are only v1.1 which is a bit of a pain. I know you can get a MP3 CD for about €100 but this one is the cheapest with a LCD remote. Though no light on it. The next one with a light on the LCD remote was another €100.

Another plus is that this player is lot slimmer and lighter than the €100 ones. Has two internal rechargeable (the flat ones) batteries. Doesn't need an external charger, just the mains lead, so it has excellent battery life. Personally I really like the earphones, better than all the other ones I have for comfort and on a par with my sonys' for quality.

Only draw back IMO is the lack of a light on the LCD and the v1.1 tags. Its not really for my use but the "other half". I have a MD (Sharp) which I prefer carrying. CD Portables are always going to be just that bit too big for me. But I'll definately be borrowing this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Genghis

You'd get an unbranded CD and MP3 discman in Maplins for about €50. I bought one for the SO last year, and at the time it cost something like €55. Does the job, works fine, no display, but does play 'drag and drop' burned MP3 CDs. No remote or anything like that, just looks and plays like a basic discman - does have a recharge facility and comes with a mains adaptor, but these are pretty much standard.

Lidl also had one a couple of weeks ago for €29.99 - no MP3 playback, but a very good package - including carrier case, car kit, mains adaptor / rechargeable battery charger. They will probably have these again, though it would be a while and you would never know when.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Genghis

This is the CD / MP3 player from Maplin. It is priced £39.99, so I must have got it on sale (you'd expect to pay about €68 for it non-sale in Ireland - Maplin simply convert their prices in Euro, and I am not sure if they have reduced them to reflect recent conversion rates).

To get the details go to Maplin.co.uk and search for MP3 player (Maplin don't have seperate pages for each product).

34415i0.jpg

• Advertisement

Personally I think a remote is vital on a portable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

How is the battery life on these portables... going travelling for 2 months soon and don't want to risk taking my minidisc away and am thinking about getting a cheap discman, a mp3 one sounds like it would be cool but am worried I might have to fill my rucksac with batteries!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

bovril wrote
    How is the battery life on these portables... going travelling for 2 months soon and don't want to risk taking my minidisc away and am thinking about getting a cheap discman, a mp3 one sounds like it would be cool but am worried I might have to fill my rucksac with batteries

Well bovril,
    I have a NAPA MP3 discman 3 years old. I use rechargeable 2100 mah batteries the NAPA also acts as a recharger so that might be the way to go!!!:) :):)

How many hours would you get from standard duracell batteries??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Originally posted by bovril
    How is the battery life on these portables... going travelling for 2 months soon and don't want to risk taking my minidisc away and am thinking about getting a cheap discman, a mp3 one sounds like it would be cool but am worried I might have to fill my rucksac with batteries!
    if you've got an MD why bother. i know you're worried about losing it, but you are much less likely to lose an MD than a discman cos they can safely stay in your pocket without getting in the way.

I've had the MZ 707 (the first top end NetMD) for a year now, and it's fooking great, and been all the way to thailand and back with no bother, and it goes everywhere i do in my coat pocket with 2 or 3 discs too. a single AA battery (yep, just the one) lasts 50 odd hours and you can get over 5 hours on a single disc at mp3 quality. i can't imagine needing anything else for my mobile music needs at all.

spare discs are dirt cheap these days and the newer ones are USB2 so music transfer is quick enough, although i find with a decent spec PC, the standard USB1 speeds are OK enough.

just my 2c anyway.

• Advertisement

Just worried about losing it/ it getting stolen or even worse getting it damaged by sand. I spent close to $400 on it last year it's the Sony MZ-N1. I always have it here in Ireland, I couldn't face a bus journey without it. I thought a cheap discman ( I actually have an old sony one about 5 years old that I used about twice which I was thinking of bringing) would be less worrying to bring with me. The only thing with a discman is the fact that you can only play one CD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

I want to buy a cheap sony discman that will play cdr,i was thinking in the region of 50/60 euro,ill cheap out xtra vision any other decent places?

Originally posted by ronano
    I want to buy a cheap sony discman that will play cdr,i was thinking in the region of 50/60 euro,ill cheap out xtra vision any other decent places?

Argos had them for 69 I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭savemejebus

bovril,

why not forget about the discman and just get a cheap md player that you can bring with you and not worry about. I got an Mz n-505 on ebay (from an ebay shop) last year for €120 including delivery from the US and i can only imagine that it'd be a much better deal now with the current exchange rate. It's not a metal cased player but it is still sweet, i will say that it is the budget model and there is no remote with it but i think its the dogs naughty bitz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

amazon have a nice budget md player for about E92 and you can use all your existing minidisc's in it as it does MDLP.

thats the cheapest sony one i coulod find new (amazon came up with the best price too) but you might well find something even cheaper on ebay if you have a look see, and pay considerably less for a better model. a quick search came up with THESE.

good luck with it anyway.

Only problem with MD is that you won't be able to just buy a new album if you get bored with your existing stuff. With a CD walkman, you'll be able to buy stuff as you go!

Advertisement