Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An idea! Now which little gif will I use for this?

Options
  • 07-03-2000 5:12pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting a little tired of censored language. We all use it and we often use ways to make it appear regardless of the censor. Some idiots use bad language far too much just to be annoying but even with their swearing censored their post is still bound to irritate. So who are we protecting? Oursleves from prosecution? Lickle kids that read our rants now that we are open to a wider audience (fat boys in other words)?Well I don't know the ruling for bad language on public forums but assuming there is no strict guideline then why not try this:
    Allow bad language and mark a posting with bad language with some kind of gif which is clearly stated as being a warning of sexual swearing etc. Naturally the kids won't read the posts then.

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Oh **** off your ****less ****stain you.

Joking - I don't think many people mind the censor !

See ? because this is a fimily website i'm sure mothers and fathers don't want their children coming accross remarks like that !

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This isnt a family website. But it isnt for adults only either.

We debated having a sex and/or politics forum but we ruled them out because they would only give rise to litigation and hassle. In some ways its the same with the censor. Anyone can get around it but it forces people to adjust their language at least a little.

"Fnck" just doesnt have the same offensiveness as "f uck".

As cloud says, it means you have to be at least a *little* creative about your abuse.

Personally I always go for the Cyrano De Bergerac (sp?) solution to it (ala when morons in the bar are slagging him crudely about his nose.)

A witty put down is a lot more effective then "fnck you, you lame @ssed f4g!"

Tom.

Well I will not be letting my children read these boards again !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Thats ok.
    Your children are too stupid to read anyway smile.gif
    (note witty cyrano de bergerac type put down in practice demonstrating devs point smile.gif)

• Advertisement
Advertisement