Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergie builds for the future.

• 10-01-2004 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

With all the furore about the Miller signing here is an article from the Times about Uniteds plans and reasoning for signing young players.

Ferguson intent on building new Old Trafford dynasty
    By Oliver Kay

TO THOSE for whom Manchester United’s pursuit of Louis Saha smacks of pragmatism, given that one of the Fulham forward’s principal attractions is his eligibility for the European Cup this season, there was a reassuring message from Sir Alex Ferguson yesterday. With a sparkle in his eye, the 62-year-old manager spoke at length about the United of the future, a team that has taken further shape with the acquisition of Liam Miller, the young Irish midfield player, from Celtic.
    The day will come, Ferguson acknowledged, when Roy Keane, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and the Neville brothers have to make way for younger men. “You always hope that influential figures like Keane and Scholes will go on for ever, but the reality is that it doesn’t happen,” he said. “You can’t go on for ever and, when that day comes, I want to make sure there are people ready to take their place. The signing of Liam Miller is another step towards that.”

It is the continuation of a policy that Ferguson began to implement the moment he decided, two years ago almost to the day, to put his retirement plans on hold. Aware that the long-term health of his team was not as it should have been, he set about the rejuvenation of his squad, many of whom, having reached their peak at the same time, were in danger of growing old together.

It is something that happened, to varying extents, to the Tottenham Hotspur team of the early 1960s, to the United side that emerged later that decade and to the Liverpool empire that, having dominated English football throughout the 1970s and 1980s, finally began to crumble as many of their star players reached the wrong side of 30.

Ferguson has no intention of allowing the same thing to happen to the club that has largely ruled the past decade. “If you look at the present team, the defending part is fine, because age doesn’t come into it as much as with other positions,” he said.

“There’s no reason why Roy Keane (32), Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (30), Ryan Giggs (30), Paul Scholes (29) and Nicky Butt (28) cannot play until their mid-30s, but it would be wrong to wait until then to start building a team to replace them. That’s why we have bought young lads like Cristiano Ronaldo, Eric Djemba Djemba and David Bellion.”

Miller, a 22-year-old who will arrive on a free transfer when his contract at Celtic expires in the summer, fits the bill — “he’s got a marvellous engine and he scores goals from midfield”, Ferguson said — but he is not the only one. United are also well advanced in their bid to recruit Arjen Robben, the young Holland forward from PSV Eindhoven, while their academy is overflowing with the best young talents imported from all over Europe, as well as Africa and the United States.

“We’re trying to secure a new team for the future and to integrate it into the present team over the next three or four years,” Ferguson said. “Having got them here now, we can allow them to develop at the club and understand the club, learn to adapt to the pressures and demands that come with playing for this club. Then, hopefully, when the time comes for them — and I’m not saying that will be 2005 or whenever — that transition will be a smooth one.”

Progressing less smoothly is his bid to sign Saha from Fulham, who have rejected an £8 million bid, but Ferguson is confident that a deal will be agreed. He may have appeared to indicate otherwise yesterday when he said “the matter is now finished” and “they seem determined to keep the boy”, but he is known to be confident that Fulham will ultimately agree to the transfer, such is the player’s desire to join United.

Arsène Wenger, the Arsenal manager, contributed his thoughts to the debate yesterday, saying — perhaps unsurprisingly — that his sympathy lies with Fulham, but Ferguson believes that the West London club, who have criticised United’s approach to the deal, could have conducted themselves better. “David Gill (the United chief executive) sent them a letter, private and confidential, and they gave it to the press the next day,” Ferguson said. “We, on the other hand, have done everything right and professionally.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

In some ways United are doing a 'AC Milan' in the transfer market.Milan in the late eighties bought up most of the best young players in some ways to prevent them going to their rivals.Only a club of Uniteds size can afford to invest mega-millions on future talent whilst still creating their own jewels from youth set-ups.Its looking ominous for the rest of the Premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I thinkthat Fergie realises the neucleus of his side (former Fledglings) have reached their peak and are on the way down in some cases. After his retirment that didn't happen he decided to buid a new team which is what is happening now. Time will tell if they are good enought to emulate the current guys but I for one have faith in Fergusons ability to spot raw potential and bring it to the fore .If all goes to plan United could look something like this in a few years time and thats not taking the likes of Eagles Nardinello Timms etc etc from the youth squad into account.

Howard
    Brown Ferdinand Sylvester O Shea

Ronaldo Miller Fletcher ????????

Robben

Bellion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Will he ever revert back to 4-4-2. I think he might if anything ever becomes of Kleberson or Djemba Djemba. He has showed signs of class but not much. If Fergie can help him I can see him becoming a good attacking midfielder with Robben partnering Bellion.

Can't see him reverting back as long as he has scholes to play in the hole. with the odd exception the current system seems to be working quite well with united having the best ever start to a season.

I mean when Scholes isn't there would he revert back?

I can see a Djemba Djemba---Kleberson central midfield with Ronaldo on the left and Miller on the right. Or you could switch Miller and Kleberson around I suppose.

• Advertisement

sorry I Misunderstood. I suppose It depends on Scholes replacement. Robben if he comes is a possibility and Miller possess some of Scholes attributes , whether either could fill his boots is anyones guess. I didn't include Klebbeson or Djemba X2 but as you say Klebesson in particular is showing promise. I dont know if miller can play on the right , did Celtic play him there and if so how did he do?

I've seen him play on the right for Celtic.

Kleberson looks like he could be a good player with a nice touches lately. That one-two with RVN a while back (think it was against Villa) when he started the match behind the lone striker was what turned my head. Anyway time will tell.

I saw Robben for the first time on Eurosport earlier today and he looks brilliant. He would be a great replacement for RVN.

I saw Robben for the first time on Eurosport earlier today and he looks brilliant. He would be a great replacement for RVN.

I Missed that , I have never seen him but from what i have read of him in the past week I thought he was more likely to replace Giggs than Ruud. He hasn,t signed yet so I shouldn.t be counting the chickens.

I only caught the end of the match but what I saw it seemed like he was playing up front. And he scored a great goal from a very narrow angle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Very happy with all the transfer speculation with these young jems. Hope most of it is true...some team if we get players like Robben coming in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

Robben is a very exciting player..more of a finished product already than ronaldo and is very good on either foot.I seen him a bit last year and he will probably be the man to play in the hole a la scholes.

Robben is a very exciting player..more of a finished product already than ronaldo and is very good on either foot.I seen him a bit last year and he will probably be the man to play in the hole a la scholes.

Sounds Impressive being compared to Scholes Giggs and Ruud in the one thread. Hope we get him so.

Advertisement