Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reads of Nassau Street

• 10-01-2004 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

They're having a 10% sale on magazines and have signs all over the shop asking 'Why shop at Easons'. I'm not aware of any other newsagents doing this.

I didn't have time to check if this is a genuine bargain but thought I might as well share it with you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

They've been doing it since Easons bought the bookshop right beside them (can't remember its name offhand) a couple of years ago.

They also sell books at a 30% discount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

So I've been a right eejit for quite a while then? I often walk down Dawson St and drop into Easons (Fred Hannas) for a browse & the occasional magazine. Never thought of checking next door as I usually head in the direction of Suffolk St.! :rolleyes:

I'm a bit new to the bargain hunting business!

:D

Not to worry, better late than never...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Genghis

Reads do have a limited range of books, but they are genuinely the cheapest you will find. If you are looking for anything that might have been in a recent top 10, or might be considered the next big thing, then Reads is your place. For example, the Beckham book and the last Harry Potter could be had for between €12 and €15, compared to €20-30 elsewhere.

Also Reads magazines are quite extensive in terms of range - I would say they have more than Fred Hannas, but perhaps a little less than Easons O'Connell St.

Also,the gigantic Encyclopedia Of Ireland which retails for €65 elsewhere is only €45 in Reads. Now thats a bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Also,the gigantic Encyclopedia Of Ireland which retails for €65 elsewhere is only €45 in Reads. Now thats a bargain.

Got Chapters to price match Reads for that Encyclopedia over Christmas :) Was surprised that they agreed to do it, but the manager seemed to have a bit of a grudge against Reads. Have always liked Chapters bookstore mind you, always had a good second hand section.

Without wanting to go completely off-topic, do Chapters still take second hand books? I was told its cheaper for places like them to buy their stock in the UK and ship it over. Heard that from the book guy in the Secret Book and Record Store on Wicklow Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Yesterday afternoon Chapters had a sign at the counter in the basement asking customers to leave books for exchange at the desk before browsing, so I guess the answer is yes, they do take 2nd hand.

Whether they buy them or only take them in exchange I don't know.

Back on topic, I noticed today that Easons (the one beside Reads) has a lot of books on substantial discount (at least one - "The Taoiseach" - is cheaper than Reads). Competition, don't ya love it! So I guess its always best to shop around even if one store nearly always wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

chapters will only give you about 1 euro per book,
    they dont give cas h but credit. So probably not worth it,
    however if you buy ay 2nd hand book there they will give
    you half of what you paid for it if you again trade it in,
    most are priced at 5.50 so you get 2.75 back which means
    you can grab your next book for another 2.75.

Advertisement