Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ODCA to prosecute publicans for non-display of prices

• 10-01-2004 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭

Only ten of them but it's a start

Link (full release posted)

There's no date on the press release (which is a bit silly) but it's in the "latest news" section on the front page so let's assume it's recent.
    The Director of Consumer Affairs, Carmel Foley, said today that she would prosecute ten licensed premises for non-display of price lists, as required under the Retail Price (Beverages in Licensed Premises) Display Order 1999. Between September and November 2003, inspectors from the Office of Director of Consumer Affairs undertook a survey into the level of compliance of the Order. A total of 233 premises were visited nationwide – 110 (47%) in Dublin and 123 (53%) outside Dublin. The initial survey indicated an unacceptable level of non-compliance as 158 premises (68%) were non compliant. Of the 110 Dublin premises visited 70 (64%) were non-compliant and 86 (70%) of country premises.

In a follow-up survey compliance levels had improved. However the Director has decided to prosecute ten publicans due to their continued non-compliance. “I have identified 10 premises located in Dublin, Limerick Waterford, Wicklow, Galway and Tipperary which I will prosecute”. Urging customers to be vigilant and to alert her office of any breaches of the legislation, Carmel Foley said, “I want to assure consumers that my office will treat complaints as confidential. Complainants may remain anonymous if they wish. All complaints will be followed-up by my inspectors. Co-operation between public and my office is the best way to ensure maximum compliance with the Order. This will result in a better deal for consumers”.

Notes (Retail Price (Beverages in Licensed Premises) Display Order, 1999

The purpose of the Order is to enable consumers to be aware of drink prices in licensed premises.

16 Item List: The Order requires the display of a "16 item" price list immediately outside or immediately inside each entrance to a licensed premises. A 16 item list shall have letters that are at least 4mm in height and proportionate in width. In addition the list should be clearly visible, in a legible form (i.e. easily read).

Comprehensive List: The Order also requires that a Comprehensive List indicating the price of all drinks sold on the premises should be on display within each drinking area on the premises and should be clearly visible and in a legible form (i.e. easily read).

Know a pub that doesn't comply? Carmel wants you to tell on them. I wholeheartedly agree as long as she keeps prosecuting.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

"Excellent!" - Mr Burns
    now this is good news, I must keep a eye out for pubs not showing there prices, do nightclubs apply to this, because some nightclubs seem to raise there drinks by the hour.

If I'm bored I ask for a receipt so I can see if they've changed there prices by the hour, this pisses them off big time ;)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Good point there about nightclubs. Can't say I've noticed pricelists of any clubs I've went to, though I'm usually too drunk to care at that stage anyway! ww)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Of course this will only matter if the sentence actually impedes on their business. If a pub that makes a few grand a night gets even a €1000 fine, it's not going to make alot of difference. Of course there is benefit in just recognition of the problem.
    I think the most effective action would be to also suspend their license.
    I wonder could an individual protest an annual renewal of pub license based on this?

Advertisement