Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - DSL504

Options
  • 10-01-2004 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Bought the DSL 504 combo modem/router/switch. I have IOL broadband.

No problem setting up ADSL connection but can't get IE to browse.

Have tried various permutations with DNS settings on Local connection and different Proxy DNS on router (enabled/disabled/autoDNS/ISP specified DNS.

I am running XP and had ICS running previously serving 2 pcs - now want to add a third pc.

When Iu have the router connected, my Internet Gateway connection opens in XP but when I open Expolorer I either get a "cannot find server or DNS message" or the Gateway disconnects.

Any ideas out there???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

OK, the 2 IOL DNS server IPs go in the fields for TCP/IP on your network adapter, and the Gateway field should contain the IP of the router.
    Also, stop using ICS.
    It's pants. You ahve a perfectly good router right there.
    What are the IPs of the 3PCs and the router?
    Include Subnets in your description please.

In IE, go to Tools >> Internet Options >> Connections >> Setup >> I want to use my LAN >> I connect through LAN >> (all three check boxes should be empty here) >> No, I don't want to setup a GheyMail account >> Finish

Sorted.

Oh, also, www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/ for a proper browser.
    Get the Tabbrowser Extensions extension too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 madras

Thanks SyxPak,

I have the ISP Pref and Alt. DNS addresses in TCP/IP on the network adapter with auto IP addresses. There is no slot for Gateway Router IP address unless I change from auto (WinXP).

IE does not give a LAN setup option - option is to connect via home network - I did this and it setup the Internet Gateway connection - still no joy.

Have not yet tried to put the other PCs on as the manual recommends set up of router first.

Will check out Mozilla as suggested.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks for taking the time,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

OK I suppose you probably have already done this but in case you haven't turn ICS off get rid of all your old network connections on both computers and connect both of them to the router - they should NOT be connected to each other - the router handles everything!. Then set up a network connection on one PC in Network and Dial-up saying it gets it's IP automagically along with it's gateway stuff and File and Printer sharing and Client for Windows network should be installed call it LAN connection.

Then connect using this connection once connected run "ipconfig" in the cmd line.

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

The output should look like this (the IP addresses last number could range from 2 to 33).

You then open a browser (I also endorse :) Mozilla Firebird ) and type in 192.168.0.1 ( prob know this:rolleyes: ) once you log in the first page - if the router is connected - should say at the bottom "Connected" more importantly though is can you ping the IP next to "Gateway" - try that. Ohh and VPI and VCI should be 8 and 35. If you can ping the gateway then your on the Net. See if you can access a webpage, you should be able to as long as all the settings are still at default. If you can't and are still using IE then I'd say the problem are your net connection settings in IE.

You should not EVER need to put in any IP numbers in any configuration setting in the client PCs. The router also needs NO IP information; DNS is given to it when it connects to the WAN.

Originally posted by madras
    Thanks SyxPak,

I have the ISP Pref and Alt. DNS addresses in TCP/IP on the network adapter with auto IP addresses. There is no slot for Gateway Router IP address unless I change from auto (WinXP).

IE does not give a LAN setup option - option is to connect via home network - I did this and it setup the Internet Gateway connection - still no joy.

Have not yet tried to put the other PCs on as the manual recommends set up of router first.

Will check out Mozilla as suggested.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks for taking the time,

Disable DHCP on the router's configuration, set the following IPs to the machines:
    Router: 192.168.0.1
    PC #1: 192.168.0.2
    PC #2: 192.168.0.3
    PC #3: 192.168.0.4

And all of them set the Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0
    Set the gateway field on the 3 PCs to 192.168.0.1
    When you learn about DHCP etc. you can switch over, but for a static home lan there's really no need.

• Advertisement

SyxPak I beg to differ it makes things MUCH easier for a newbie - the router takes care of everything and there is no conf to do on the client PCs - overall simpler.

it's the "automatic" part that causes problems.
    I like to have contol over things whenever I can, I know exactly what IP each machine has etc.

Also, if he uses DHCP he learns nothing and will only be posting up here again.

And it's hardly *work* to assign IPs to stuff.

SyxPak and OfflerCrocGod,

tried your suggestions.

DSL Tech support are now suggesting I upgrade the firmware - v.10 out of the box.

They say go to v.18 and then back to v.14!!!!!

Here goes...............

Madness :)

They say go to v.18 and then back to v.14!!!!!
    WTF!!!!???? just stick with the latest f/w and if it still refuses to work then there is something wrong with the router, RMA it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

You havent said if all the machines can ping each other and the router but i presume they see each other. Have you made sure on the option NAT configuration is set as enabled and that DMZ state is disabled? Otherwise you wont be going anywere.

Nat should be enabled and DMZ disabled by default on the router.

I forget what firmware I'm running at home, but it's a RevII 504 bought around last July.
    DHCP is enabled by default.

Guess what, it worked!!!!!

Going up to v.18 and back to v.14 did it!!!!!!! It seems V.14 is actually the offical uptodate version. Mine is Ver. B1.

The old one was v10UK it did not allow entry of both Preferred and Alternate DNS address in the Proxy DNS Configuration setting - required by IOLBB.

NAT is enabled, DHCP is enabled, DMZ disabled.

Thanks for the interest guys.

BTW, the D-link tech guys said they had a number of DSL504 clients with configuration problems on IOLBB so if I can help anyone I would be delighted.

Thanks again,

Madras.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

The old one was v10UK it did not allow entry of both Preferred and Alternate DNS address in the Proxy DNS Configuration setting - required by IOLBB.

That's wierd. I'm running v10UK never noticed - on Netsource thou'. Surprising stable too compared to the reports I've seen on boards.

NAT is enabled, DHCP is enabled, DMZ disabled.

Enable DMZ and point it to a non-existent IP address to stealth the 504 (you might want to have it point to an address outside your DHCP range - just in case).

Have a look here if you ever need more info: http://shadow.sentry.org/~trev/dsl50x.html

D.

What is the function of DMZ and why go for stealth? Is this some kind of firewall function?

Madras

Advertisement