Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN: The News we've all wanted to hear...

Options
  • 06-03-2000 10:44pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Its being slashed in price.

99 inc Vat for installation, rental is about 10-15 quid higher but calls are the same as a normal phone.
    Should be effective as of today (though no announcement as yet).

Its now actually worth thinking about.

I'll post more details on ISDN and what it means to you and your house later.

Tom.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I wonder if Esat NoLimits will ever support ISDN... flat rate ISDN ... mmmmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

Id rather cable or ADSL........
    Hurry up Cablelink/Eircom.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Broadband doesnt look good atm,
    ADSL isnt set for role out until 2001 and NTL seem to have realise that Cablelink is not in a good state for two way cable.

ISDN on Esat No-Limits seems like the best we can hope for in the near future...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

time to order TA, time to hassle ESAT for ISDN no limits support smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

So I'm renting a gaff... righty-o? So then lets say I ship off, booty-o? Can I bring my ISDN with me or do I just shut it off or whats the craic? Where's the crack?

"If clouds are the soil, dreams are the crop." - Volrath.
    Click here for - Tony et Gerry
    we don't really get along but he's sound enough
    sound enough but not sound enough is he

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Vor, you have to leave it there. Annoying ... yes. Happened to me.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Not any more. You may bring your line with you now, for a £30 relocation fee.....

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Great news, just one question...

If I got an ISDN line could I still connect to ESAT no limits at all (as in NOT at ISDN speeds) or would the service be completely off limits to me?

If it was posible to be connected through ESAT at flat rate for surfing/irc etc. (even at lower speed) and then be able to connect at ISDN speed for gaming then I could definatly see myself going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Spoonman

AFAIK you cant access snl through isdn at all. If someone has please let me know. So far I have to use a normal telephone for snl and das isdn for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

as far as I know lads, eircom have slashed the price, re-invedited it..left the rent alone...

great stuff

but have hired not one extra body to install it

so its still massive waiting times, not the UK's one week maximum for homehighway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

Yer, is it possible to connect to SNL on isdn, through 33.6 emulation or anything, is it possible, has anyone done it ? because at the moment i'm using my TA's analogue port with a 56k modem to access it :/

I have RVSCOM lite with emulates a modem through your TA's digital connection, basically it works like a winmodem.
    Only trouble it the lite version restricts your connection to 14k, full version is 33k but like it costs too much to upgrade.

Anyone know of any similar software that emulates a modem over a digital connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

See Genisisnet post in Technology

Bah, just when I thought I had an acceptabley priced "net solution" and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Alternatively, if your ISDN TA has an analogue phone pot at the back of it, you can hook a modem into that and dial in. And yes, having a modem and an ISDN TA in the one machine won't cause problems.

As for broadband... it's a misnomer. Serious gamers in the UK are just beginning now to cop on to the fact that "broadband" is all hype and no substance. Ridiculous contention ratios and the fact of being tied into one ISP forever make flat-rate ISDN into the best solution for a gamer, even when compared to ADSL and Cable...

ja,
    Rob

--
    [EED]Shinji -=*=- shinji@electricdeath.com
    Site Editor, http://www.utsystem.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I'll definately get ISDN if I can work something out so that I can use SNL or find some of those programs, anyone know sites where I can get em?
    Anyone actually use them to connect to SNL, if so what are they like? Hard to set up?

Also how much does an ISDN TA cost and do most of em have a phone port?

Mills

[This message has been edited by Mills (edited 08-03-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

adsl and cable offerings in the UK are still ****e compared to europe.
    so serious gamers should know better :P

So it is posible then?

In that case which TA should I be getting?

It'll have to have an anologe output on it...

and is there any good sites which tell you all the ins and outs about ISDN?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

1. I like the sound of the new price.
    2. What is this TA you all talk of????
    3. I also like the new boards pretty cool

bye for now
    Baz

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

the TA is a Terminal Adaptor - which you will need to use ISDN with your computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

first we get the isdn
    then we get the 100+pounds for a Ta
    then we have the connection

so how long is the waiting list ?

I rang eircom up today and apparently the line is split so that u can still use telephone over it, therefore you can use ur old modem over the line to use SNL as if it were an ordinary line.

He also said that service wasn't starting for about a month frown.gif

Anyone know roughly how much fr a TA?

Mills

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭BugBlaster

the standard TA is about the 100 mark internal...
    if you change over your existing line to ISDN its done in a few days, but u do then have the problem of no isdn phone, standard phones cant dial out on isdn at all.
    u can get a adapter for your phones, but thats in the region of £300 but if you get an external ISDN TA just for your phone use with one of the analogue ports on the rear and let the yoke plugged in, not necessary to have it connected to your pc at all, then oyu can make n receive calls as normal. but not at all if your phone is the old type with a Bell as the lines not capable of switching the bell. an external TA is slightly more dosh but is not as fast as the internal unit, its not ideal to have just the one unit external... am i making any sense here? smile.gif

so basically... my format... ISDN TA internal for your pc, and an External unit with an analogue port for your old phones.

you do get two numbers with each isdn install. handy for the add devices and get 15k/sec dl and connecting at 128k

the lines also hunt, so if your on one line n someone phones that number it rings the other line.

some features like the call answering service cant work anymore if you had that.

as far as phone call charges, much the same for calls, but the rental is now 58 per two months for two lines.

if you have two analogue lines anyway are you not charged like 40 sumtin for them anyway? plus equipment rental.

I already have a 2nd line for internet so I'll get that upgraded smile.gif
    Only a few days for the upgrade? The guy on eircom sales line said that this system won't be being installed for about another month..........

Mills

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Okay I give in, can't stand being ping fragged anymore. Right, what's the quickest way to get an isdn line installed in your house, like what number do I ring to start hounding them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

ISDN Enquiries - 1800 255 255
    Line Installations - 1800 250 250

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

a few days my **** !

ask Junkie and shinji how long they had to wait for ISDN in their gaff...

I ordered mine in November and have still not had it installed... (both gaff's in dublin)

just 6 months ago where I work now got a dial up ISDN line as a back up to our leased line, and had to wait 7 months to get it in...

a week my **** , trust me, its not a week, a few months maybe. This is where I was coming from earlier when I said that they had not hired any new 'ISDN' staff, the wait will only get longer as more pe0ns order it.

re: TA's have a look at www.insight.com/uk or www.scan.co.uk I have shopped with both and they are very reliable.

Most top UK players use a ASUS Internal TA, its like 45 quid on Insight..(cheap and excellent - it gets the best pings of any TA as far as lots and lot's of gamers are concerned!)

I know lots and lots of ppl use the Zietel OmniNet TA (MP has one, devore has one I think, think shinji has one aswell)(spelling something like that!) but its like 300 quid.

As a rule, IMHO steer clear or external and USB TA's if its primary function is games. If its games you want just get the ASUS Internal one. Cheap and reliable.

Standard ISDN is 2 64k digital phone lines. When you are dialed out on one, the other can be a phone line.

To get it ring 1901 and ask for ISDN sales, or if there is a quicker way someone tell me now!

The cost of an ISDN ISP account is more than a standard account aswell BTW, but we all know ways and means around that, so lets move on smile.gif

And finally, Surf no limits is not ISDN compatible, and from what I have herd, they have no plans to make it such.

Vaggabond

Eat Electric Death www.electricdeath.com

[This message has been edited by tHE vAGGABOND (edited 09-03-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It's a Zyxel Omninet TA, I have one as well and it's worked perfectly from day one (a year or so ago now). They can be got from IT Direct in Parliament St here in Dublin, as can other TA's, I never had problems with them, although Spoonman had some aggro with them recently whilst ordering a TA.

btw most people in Eircom couldn't find their ar$es with both hands and a flashlight - Example 1) I ring them Monday to get them to put my ISDN bill on a seperate bill from the domestic phone line, cos three other people use that. They say fine, yesterday I get a work order to sign, for a new ISDN line to be installed at my gaff. And they have the price down on it as 348 quid plus VAT!!!

[This message has been edited by Castor Troy (edited 09-03-2000).]

I know the waiting for install can be terrible, I had to wait a full 2 weeks for mine to get installed from the day I ordered it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

spoons right, when i enquired yesterday they said it could easily take 8-10 working days frown.gif

Advertisement