Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

usb zip drive.

Options
  • 11-01-2004 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Got a lovely new t40 centrino wireless laptop and it wont recognise any usb zip utilities ie. 250mb zip drive, twinmos memory stick. more accuratley, it does go through the new hardware found and setup wizard as xp pro normally does but when you go to explorer its not listed with a drive letter. I've tried the knowledge base on MS but the only fix listed there did not work. Any Ideas folks?
    All help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

If its a clean install of XP pro with no MS updates then this is your problem, Update the comp from the MS update page and all should be well. Or get your hand on a cd with SP1.

XP home & Pro, dont support some usb devices if it hasn't got the patch.

Thanks joePC.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

My XP pro is bang up to date. the laptop is only a few weeks old and I've installed everything from windows update thats available. I should also mention that its only zip drives and memory sticks that dont work. I have a belkin bluetooth in the usb port and it works fine. thanks for the suggestion though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

A friend of mine had this problem with a Dell workstation. I had to wipe windows and reinstall it before it saw any USB devices. I assume it hadn't been installed correctly in the factory. Your problem could be the same. Alternatively there could be a hardware problem with the USB controller itself. But thats less likely IMO.

Mine see's everything hooked to the USB, but the problem is it does not assign a drive letter to either storage devices in explorer so neither are visible. Everything else plugged into the usb works. Its a tricky one.

This sounds like my problem here..MS Knowledge Base
    Might get in touch with them to see can I get a copy of this fix.
    Cheers All for your help so far and if any one esle has experience of this give me a shout!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Go into Device manager and uninstall all USB related items under,

Universal Serial Bus controllers

Then restart the PC, it will reinstall the USB serial BUS and should pick up all devices.(Make sure all USB Devices are taken out until you restart)

Thanks joePC

That was the first thing I did Joe but thanks for the suggestion!

Advertisement