Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic tactics

Options
  • 11-01-2004 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I've used default since I started the new game. Although I tried man marking against players such as Henry, RVN, Scholes, Mendieta and Mutu but it didn't really work out all that well against Arsenal. I found when I ues man marking that whoever you have used to man mark leaves a whole in the back four. I also tried ultra defensive but for me I saw that the damage was already done by the time the strikers got the ball. So now I opt for a defensive midfielder just in front of my defence and it has worked well so far.

As for wingers I find that Kewell and Partridge (I play with Liverpool) work best when I have them moving forward all the time. Suppose it depends on what the traits of your wide men are!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

DC: no forward runs, no pressing, defensive mentality if playing at home against weak opposition, ultradefensive otherwise.

LB/RB: forward runs at home or forward runs away against weak opp, no forward runs away against decent/good opp,
    pressing is on (you want them closing down opposition wingers), defensive mentality normally, normal if chasing the game, ultra defensive if winning against a good team

Wingers: forward runs always (you want them in good positions down the flanks), pressing if playing a good team, normal or attacking mentality depending on who you're playing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

In general I don't bother messing about with the tactics too much.
    My formation is 4-1-3-2
                 9     10
     ^                            ^
     |              ^             |
     |              |             |
     |              |             |
    11              8             7

^                               ^
    |                               |
    |                               |
    3           5        4          2

I don't change my tactics once they're set really. My team is good enough to beat any team off the pitch, and I play attacking football because I know I'll score more than I conceed (not that I conceed many).

Anyway, my general Team Instructions are:

Passing - Mixed
    Focus Passing - Mixed
    Tackling - Hard
    Closing Down - Always
    Mentality - Gung Ho
    Offside Trap - On
    Zonal Marking - On
    Counter Attack - On
    Men Behind Ball - Off

Then for individual positions, now tbh I can't remember which of these I set and which were default.

So, Player Instructions:

DR + DL
    Closing Down - Stand Off
    Mentality - Attacking
    Cross Ball
    Forward Runs
    Run With Ball

FB's
    Closing Down - Stand Off
    Mentality - Ultra Defensive

DMC
    Closing Down - Own Half Only
    Mentality - Defensive

MC
    Forward Runs
    Run With Ball
    Try Through Balls

MR + ML
    Cross Ball
    Forward Runs
    Run With Ball

FC (Right)
    Forward Runs
    Run With Ball

FC (Left)
    Free Role
    Hold Up Ball

Every other option is on the team default.

It works well for me. But I manage Barcelona so I have the funds to buy world class players and already started with world class players. With a weaker squad I dunno how well it would work.

My defense is rock solid.

Gk - Casillas / Frey
    DR - Puyol / Gallas
    DL - A. Cole / Fernando Navarro
    DC - Terry / Mexes / Chivu
    DMC - Van Bronckhorst / Iniesta / Xavi

So even though I play very attacking football I know my defense can deal with any counter attacks.

After two seasons my record was
    Goals Scored 126 | 132
    Goals Against 27 | 21
    Goal Difference +99 | +111 :D

• Advertisement

Tactics totally change depending on the team you have.
    I was managing Deportivo and once I had my tactics set up nicely I didn't need to change them for 7 or 8 matches bar very minor tweaks,

but I've played lower league with Florentia Viola and I constantly had to change tactics and formations just to survive and combat the opposition strong players and crazy tactics e.g. 3-2-5 :confused:

so it does depend on your team and players quality

Originally posted by smiaras
    Do any of you like giving your CB's ultra defensive mentality, it seems to make them give away silly corners all the time.
    I always have my centre backs on ultra-defensive, unless I'm playing at home against a very weak side that I'll beat easily.
    I tried playing my DC's on defensive mentality, and my corner backs at normal mentality at home against Sociedad (I was Real M), I lost 3-0 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭mobby

Anyone have a chelsea away tac can't beat juve in champions league. tried at least 7 times with loads of differnt tac's they keep scorring near the end.

anyone have a chelsea away tactick cant beat juve in champions league tried at least 7 times with loads of differnt tacticks they keep scorring near the end and winning
    are you reloading your game every time you lose? I think CM can tell if you do that and doesn't let the result change or something.

Whats your current team and tactics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭niallith

this should work does for me as chelsea
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~dslreid/purefootball.tac

Advertisement