Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MiLAN

Options
  • 08-03-2000 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

MiLAN

Right, heres the deal with MiLAN, myself and Sutty had a meeting with the manager today and he quoted us the price of £800 for the whole weekend.

When I say the WHOLE weekend I mean it, we will NOT be kicked out at 7 o'clock, we can stay all night, just like FTI.

The room is nice and big and could easily fit 80 -100 of us. They have plenty of tables and chairs and power seems ok (Although I will have to have someone who knows about these things take a look at it)

We won't have formal approval for another few days due to the manager having to consult some people but it looks good.

All going well we will have it from Friday the 31st at 9 o'clock to Sunday the 2nd at 6-7 o'clock. There will be an area where people can sleep with mats on the floor (Bring your own sleeping bag) And there are plenty of places you can get food close to the place. One bad thing is alcohol won't be allowed, sorry lads frown.gif

The price will either be £15 or £20 depending on how many people pre-book. I should point out here and now that any money we make will go to the Computers For Schools thingy, I know DeVore took a lot of **** from muppets about money and we really don't want to have to deal with that.

So thats about it. More details as we get them. If anyone wants to help out with equipment/expertise etc. we will be most grateful.

Oh and we are trying to hunt down some switchs as well so if anyone has one give us a shout please smile.gif

[This message has been edited by El_Presidente (edited 10-03-2000).]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭H-K

fair fuxx

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Send us a 120x60 image and we'll stick you on the Comps 4 kids bit on the front page until the lan (get a website to prebook from first smile.gif )

In fact, if the rest of the lads are agreeable we might present the CDRW to the winner of our comp at yer lan smile.gif Just to spice things up...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Where is this LAN?
    Its prolly Dublin which rules me out but outta curiousity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Celbridge

Its a bit outside Dublin

We'll get a map up just as soon as we have a site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Ser

y would dublin rule you out?

if you live anyware in ireland, bus, car, train?

iv taken my PC all over the world, im sure you can take it accross this small country if needed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Because dublin is too scary for us boggers from cork.

Actually because I prolly could only spare one day and travelling very far would waste most of that. I dont know what time I might have yet, or money. And Im a poor student. frown.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

if your going to be looking for 50+ ppl to pull even then i suggest you change the date.
    seems too soon to rally up 50 ppl for a lan imo and to get everything organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭BugBlaster

ill probably go... tis only a couple o hours drivin smile.gif
    maybe three, maybe four hours frown.gif
    but ill try get der

Kali, we will have a web page up soon where people can register. If eneogh people don't register then we simply wont go ahead with it but I think we can manage the 40 people neccesary to break even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Jedi

Well you have nearly 20 in about a 5 mile radius. You'll easily get 40. smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Skyclad

Ill do quick webpage later on today...

Also Ill give a hand with setup and possibly advertising. I mentioned some possibilities to Sutty a few days ago.

First thing to do is get more then one person to help orgnanise it, doing it on yer own is well nigh impossible.

Looking for sponorship would be a good idea, and at this early stage, possibly even media interest.

Also try set a price from day 1. Dont leave it open to debate. £20 is fine IMO, its similar to DubLAN and a more then Leprecon, but neither of them were 24 hour events.

Just remember aswell that there will be more costs then just the rental of the hall, not many, but you need to be able to cover any unforseen costs.

Make sure you have access to the fusebox and all that, and that one of the people coming is a qualified electrician (people like that word when the power goes down, trust me).

Ill talk to yis more about it in a while once Im not sciving off work to reply to this.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Skyclad (edited 09-03-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Skyclad (edited 09-03-2000).]

smile.gif nice one dave.

Well at the moment its Sutty, Gerry and I who are organising it, anyone who wants to muck in is welcome.

I think the price of £20 is fairly reasonable considering the fact that it will go all weekend.

I doubt we can get any real spnsorship, or at least nothing like you had at leprecon. but if anyone wants to sugest something im open.

[This message has been edited by El_Presidente (edited 09-03-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

No Alcohol?

Does this include cans?

OMG!!!!

Lucutus of Borg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

if you limit yourself to advertising on these boards then i can see a max of 40 ppl going.

i know loads of ppl who dont play quake in celbridge and who would be willing to drag their computer along to play other games but i cant say that itd be worth it for them
    since nobody will be playing other games.
    (not one game besides q3 was played at leprecon)

and eh those ****in icons above where you type in are a bit annoying for those of us who like to press tab.

ken ****ed off bout projects and lack of workin mice...

I'm afraid so man frown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Kali its going to be a mixed lan as in ut and some other games as well, we where told that there is an on site electrition, and the no Alcohol thing means NO Alcohol!! as in if you have a can, glass, or bottle you'll be kicked out. also smoking will have to be done out side. for those of you that smoke its a bit of a bi**h but these are the rules of the mill not ours there are pubs that you can go to and drink there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

What no smoking ? what the hell ? Are we allowed to bring our computers ? or do we have to plug them in outside ?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SCRUB

Yes its outdoor quake , the first of its kind .

Rain is a major factor so its beat him before you get electroucted ,
    i think they use this training practice in
    china.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

Ok.. gonna try me best to get to this ere LAN thingy.. but any chances o sharing an oul comp wif someone? eh.... and theres ALWAYS away around the beer situation.. we get f00kin Twisted before we go in.. and if we need a top up we pop.. outside the door onto the street n get even more fooked up.. rockin and stuff.. we'll see how it goes, cause id luv to get a wee trip back to the big schmoke to see yas c|_|nts and get off me chops on assorted varietys of alchohol n stuff...
    om nyom..

|Chiefy|...

3=O]

[This message has been edited by Chief (edited 10-03-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

Ohh.. aye.. and a wee bit o Quakin wundné go amiss either.. NYOMedNess...

|Chiefy|....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SHADOW

Gerry, Andy, Sutty
    Pls check yisser E-Mail
    Thanx

Shad....

"You will feel his presence upon you, when you are lying a pool of you're own blood, and when you do you will wish that you had never ventured where you had"

Im just after realising, the the e-mail addy given for me on this board is WAY outa date.

andy_mullen101@hotmail.com

if ya wanna contact me

How do you chance it in your profile anyway?

YIKES

Thats a tall order there Fury smile.gif

I am gonna print up a few flyers and get them into any cyber cafe that'll take em around the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Sean, I appreciate the ideas. I might ring the champion but would that really attract gamers to the lan? The place you are thinking of is cdsoft in celbridge and judging by their website, any stuff they would give us for compos would be thrown back in our faces. I spose they might want a little bit of advertising though. I will go down to the cafe in leixlip also. Could you casually mention the lan in cyberx or do u go there anymore? Also, any mail about the lan to millan@eircom.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Ser

lol, kewl idea, no smoking , haha?

so lame when i get all this smoke in my face/eyes while tryign to play.

lol, i can see everyone will be at the door like scum, drinking there beer from the cans, and smoking, lol

while damo does the drugs in the toilet, HEHE?

gg
    pld

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SHADOW

El_pres
    just ask Sutty to forward it to you cause its a bit long
    Couldn't find gerry's addy either so
    Fubar!
    Its a bit urgent tho...so
    chop chop!!!
    hehe smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

Spit hiiiisssss
    If you are looking for numbers..
    Use the north, yolk their strength
    Also the halflife and tfchalflife
    croon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭FurY

Aye, no.s could be a problem. Bit of free advertising tho, i'm sure The liffey champian wood be desparate to get their hands on a semi-interesting story. U could bs them up and tell them how this is the 1st of it kind in kildare. Speaking of sponsorship theres a small local pc maintenace/maker in celbridge. Cant think of their name of hand, but i could get it. Sure they'd like to put a few pounds towards it in exchange for some recognition. Plus with intel and Hp around the corner trying to promote local community projects and stuff, they mite actually turn an eye towards a local lan. Speaking of getting no.s, theres a fair no. of net cafe nerds in celbridge and maynooth, i c the same nerd herd fairly regularly in the cyber x. This kinda thing wood be rite up their alley as i know they only go to cafes to play multiplayer. Dont expect any stiff competition tho. Speaking of cafes, theres a relatively new 1 in celbridge and in leixlip plus the cyber x in maynooth who woodnt mind getting their name linked to this somehow.
    ps-SeaN.

Has any1 ever thought of advertising the ign in schools n stuff?? Be nice to get some new blood into the scene. Could advertise MiLAN in some of the local secondaries, make ppl aware of the irish gaming scene. I mean i've met so many ppl who know they can play games on the net but nvr realised u could do it in ireland. Get some posters goin!

Advertisement