Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United-v-Newcastle(scores)

• 11-01-2004 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭

Going on the two matches last year and Newcastle's form this year it should be an easy enough win for United,but you never know!!!

Who do you think will win

P.S. The reason scores is in the thread title is because there was 16 goals in the two meetings last season so there is bound to be some today

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

3-2 Utd I think Newcastle may score 2 and Dyer will be eager to impress after last weeks excellent display against Soton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

5-4 to the toon:D . I hope:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Should be a Man Utd win but then again it is soccer. Newcastle aint gona lie down for them. They need a result to stay in touch with fourth place.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyduff

Keeping Shearer and Dyer quiet is the key to success in my opinion. Have not been too impressed with Jenas this season, but if he plays he can have a big influence on the game if he's in the mood. United win, 4-0. How's that for optimism!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭magnia

yeah well im a united fan but i have a 10 euro bet on newcastle to win 1-0 shearer to be the goalscorer got 60/1 odds come on ALAn even though hes a prick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Originally posted by magnia
    yeah well im a united fan but i have a 10 euro bet on newcastle to win 1-0 shearer to be the goalscorer got 60/1 odds come on ALAn even though hes a prick

There very good odd's that you got,although you know that van Nistelrooy will score first......................................................hopefully

TEAMS

Newcastle:
    Given
    Hughes
    Woodgate
    O'Brein
    Bernard
    Solano
    Jenas
    Speed
    Robert
    Shearer
    Dyer

United:
    Howard
    G.Neville
    Ferdinand
    Silveste
    O'Shea
    Kleberson
    Keane
    P.Neville
    Giggs
    Scholes
    van Nistelrooy

Well I followed in on Invision on skysports.com and by the sounds of things Newcastle battled well. Newcastle should have got a peno and Utd should have had a goal.

A good result for Newcastle (at Old Trafford), Liverpool (bit of breathing space from Newcastle and a game in hand) and Arsenal (made up ground after slipping up midweek).

Bad result for United dropped points they really should have got

Silvestre's goal should have been allowed,nothing wrong with it

Shearer should have had the penalty only problem was the contact was only visible from the reverse angle,so I doubt the ref would have seen it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 captain_kav

i'd say it wud be 0-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Fair result overall pen should have been given and goal should have stood. United looked tired IMO and were not as creative as usual in the final third.

Originally posted by captain_kav
    i'd say it wud be 0-0

What does that have to do with anything???

The game was finished

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Fair result overall pen should have been given and goal should have stood. United looked tired IMO and were not as creative as usual in the final third.

Yeh some players looked very tired

Given had a safe pair of hands today,if he had spilled some of those long shots there were United players around tp pounce on a break

Keane worked like the war-horse he is,again today

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Originally posted by kmart6

to be honest newcastle deserved the win with howard should have seen red for his foul on shearer
    only a poor performance by ther man shearer himself stopped newcastle scoring

silvestre fouled on the lead up to the goal!

was waiting for the usual utd barage at the end of the match but it never happened they didnt look interested really and forlan... can he play every week!!:)
    this match just goes to show what i have thought for a long time that most of the squad are out of their depth at the top level(never mind europe)

forlan on for giggs
    bellion and fortune on for the neville's

a few key injuries and especiallty horse face and their shagged!!

A terrific game. Newcastle had the better of the first half, Shearer being hacked down by Howard was a clear penno. Then in the second half after Jenas hit the bar Utd upped temp.
    Kleberson lobbed over, he should have done much better, Forlan shot saved and a Scholes shot well wide.
    The Silvestre goal should have been allowed. I guess The Ref was evening the score.:)

Given had a safe pair of hands today,if he had spilled some of those long shots there were United players around tp pounce on a break

Agreed Given hanling was very sure today , didn.t drop anything.

Still top anyway and i,m sure the magpies will cause our near rivals some problems, They seem to have sorted out their defence which was very light earlier on this season.

Giggs going off was a blow, Forlan contributed v little when he came on.

Yes giggs was missed , dont get me started on forlan as usual there was very little to show for all his effort. Thought Rio had an excellent game,we will miss him bigtime when he's gone .

Yes giggs was missed , dont get me started on forlan as usual there was very little to show for all his effort. Thought Rio had an excellent game,we will miss him bigtime when he's gone .

Who will Ferguson put at CB instead of him. I'm just wondering. O'Shea would be an option with Fortune or P.Neville at left back but that's weaking the left side of defence then IMO. Brown is back but is he up to it?? There's also the option of putting Keane in there but then you're weakening the midfield.

What will he go for???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Brown, course hes up for it. Him and Ferdinand played very well together before he got injured.

Any one else think Ferdinand is getting better all the time? Typical hes gonna be banned just when i start rating him as a player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭James Hunt

Originally posted by jank
    this match just goes to show what i have thought for a long time that most of the squad are out of their depth at the top level(never mind europe)

I'm actually embarrassed for you.

Yeah Brown is the man unless fergie buys someone which i don't think he will. Brown played well with Sylvester last Season and IF he stays fit he will get the nod. I don't want Keano moving back as that would weaken the midfield too much.

Ferdinand is playing his best football since his move but I do think Sylvester is Uniteds best defender at the moment and would be an even greater loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭red-not-blue

A baffling game - who was that team in red that came out for the seconf-half ? I think a penalty against Howard would have been harsh, the ball was going away from Shearer. As for the Sylvestre goal - what as wrong with it - even the commentators were baffled by this one.

When Newcastle hit the cross-bar from the corner the header was the result of the newcastle player using 2 defenders as a stepladder ! would it have stood had it gone in ???

Woodgate controlled Ruud very well and did well going forward. Forlan was a twat - several wasted opportunities from him !

Have United sved there slump till this side of the season this year ????

R-N-B

Originally posted by red-not-blue
    A baffling game - who was that team in red that came out for the seconf-half ? I think a penalty against Howard would have been harsh, the ball was going away from Shearer.

Shearer won it and was hacked down clear penno. I guess maybe its the way Shearer went down which made the refs mind up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

quote:

I think he gets it from his dad !:D

Tinky

Originally posted by red-not-blue
    A baffling game - who was that team in red that came out for the seconf-half ? I think a penalty against Howard would have been harsh, the ball was going away from Shearer. As for the Sylvestre goal - what as wrong with it - even the commentators were baffled by this one.

Thats a peno IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭bdiddy

Def a penno!!!

Slyvestre+Brown in center i reckon but O'shea could be given a shout.

As for a slump, its a bit early to suggest that tho i'm not sayin its not goin to happen

I remember Jeff Stelling on Soccer Sat said after The Soton defeat "is this just a blip"?
    It wasn't even a blip they lost fair and square to an energetic Soton side.
    Utd have far too much quality in their side for a slump. But if injuries occur to Van Nist and Scholes they may be devoid of ideas.

As i have said already I agree it was a penno but if you look closely at the picture jonno posted you will see it was taken at the moment of contact yet Shearer is already well on his way down which may be the reason the decision was not given.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭bdiddy

you're prob rite there but it was def a penno and Utd were lucky.
    I'd imagine they'll pick themselves right up again especially with the return to the champs leauge looming.

Next weeks games:

Wolves Vs Utd
    Villa Vs Arse
    Chels Vs B'gham (no Forssell thank christ)

My mate is a Wolves fan and they really need points could they suprise Utd? No
    Hopefully Juan Pablo Angel will have his scoring boots on, can't see Arse losing to Villa though.

Originally posted by James Hunt

yes Bellion, Forlan, Fortune, Kleberson are world beaters and would walk into anyteam!:rolleyes:

and newcastle arent world beaters either!

and typical of the muppet to defend the undefensible(shearer on his way down!)
    even fergie himself said it was a peno and so too did paul derkin when he saw it proberly afterwads on tv. he didnt give it because he was expecting the ball to be played up field and was too far away from it, and it was on his blind side too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

But Kleberson is a world cup winner dont you know.

Which is the only description of him i ever hear.............

What part he had in this "win" i dont know

gilberto is a world cup winner too but i dont rate him at all!!

bring on edu anyday!!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Tightens it up at the top again nicely. The premiership is crazy close this year at every level. Tis exciting :)

Why is it i always feel ill reading jank's posts? :dunno:

• Advertisement

maybe its too much drug taking during the weekends;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭James Hunt

yes Bellion, Forlan, Fortune, Kleberson are world beaters and would walk into anyteam!:rolleyes:

Thanks Jank. That really is most of the squad - I reckon that gives United a squad of 7.

By the way, the one phrase you couldn't use about Kleberson and you actually used it - World Beater.

Now I am sorry for your troubles, but try and post something that makes sense please.

silvestre fouled on the lead up to the goal!

What foul would this be then???????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by kmart6
    Bad result for United dropped points they really should have got

Shearer should have had the penalty only problem was the contact was only visible from the reverse angle,so I doubt the ref would have seen it

sums up the whole match for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

Fair result in the end I felt. Newcastle should have had a peno but Utd should have had a goal.

Also if the peno had been given Howard would have only been booked as Shearer was going away from goal so remember that he has a great knack of saving penos from what i've seen of him so far.

I think Utd missed Ronaldo today. he could have offered something different especially when giggs went off. Bet ferguson kinda regrets giving him that break now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

What a crap game.
    Ferguson is up to his usual square peg in the round hole policy.
    Why did he play only one man up front for a home game ?
    Kleberson,Neville and Keane.Three holding midfielders when only one is needed?
    No width in midfield and no urgency.
    United were very poor today.
    They are only a patch on the team of 99.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Originally posted by Henry_14
    But Kleberson is a world cup winner dont you know.
    So is Roque Jr...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

Yeah Robbo but I think Henry was being sarcastic as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

howard should have seen red for his foul on shearer

If the penalty was given why would he have been sent off.
    There was no difference to the positioning of this and "Lame"mans against boro. Neither would have scored if the keeper had not touched them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

As a Newcastle supporter I thought it was a good game and was very happy with the way Newcastle played. As I was entirely expecting Utd to win I was happy with anything better than that :)

As pointed out above the penalty should have been given and the United goal should have stood, so fair result in the end.

Kleberson was atrocious on the right for Utd, couldn't send in a cross to save his life. Definitely in the Gilberto Silva class of 'World Cup Winners'.

A clean sheet at Old Trafford for Newcastle, what's the world coming too? :)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Yeah, Kleberson looked knackered throughout. He wasn't at his best.

Originally posted by James Hunt

By the way, the one phrase you couldn't use about Kleberson and you actually used it - World Beater.

so you think he's ****e too then were both in agrement so whats the problem!?

Thanks Jank. That really is most of the squad - I reckon that gives United a squad of 7.

well i mentioned 4 so why not a squad of 4:rolleyes:

there is no doubt that utd have some quality players
    horseface, scholes, keane,gigs silvestre(been really impressed by him this year),

howard too has been a good purchase but to keep it up year after year is another matter

my point was that you know that there is a lack of strength when bellion replaces phil neville and forlan replaces giggs
    look at chealsea how they have so much talent on the bench its frightning

Yeah, Kleberson looked knackered throughout. He wasn't at his best.

I thought poor old sylvester was goona conk out after his 2 tackles and 60 yard run in the second half. He certainly didn,t want the ball back after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

and so it remains. an away team player has to be shot in the head, while in the box
    to be awarded a penalty

c'mon you refffsss

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

so you think he's ****e too then were both in agrement so whats the problem!?

my point was that you know that there is a lack of strength when bellion replaces phil neville and forlan replaces giggs
    look at chealsea how they have so much talent on the bench its frightning
    I think Kleberson has been very good this year, he plays some great balls. He just didn't look match fit there yesterday.

I thought Bellion played ok when he came on too. Made a couple of good challenges. Forlan was ****e.

• Advertisement
Advertisement