Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car suggestions please

Options
  • 11-01-2004 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am living in the UK so have the opportunity to buy a decent nearly new car for a fair price.
    I am looking for something reliable, not expensive to run, good handling (not too bothered about fast performance just want the car to go where I point it), good bit of luggage room, pref good safety features/ a few gadgets. I'm not too bothered about image.

I was thinking of the following which would all cost around 9000 euro equivalent

2001 Primera old style 1.6/1.8
    2000 Focus 1.6
    2002 Astra 1.4 16V

and am leaning towards the Primera as I had a Micra before this and it was very reliable and nippy enough, although the body roll and general handling wasn't great at times (winter country roads with a few people in the car).

Any other similar cars I should consider? I know I could go for something like an MX5 or a Celica but that doesnt really appeal to me, looking for something conventional. Insurance shouldnt be too much of a consideration as I have 5 years NCB and am over the magic age.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,362 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by silverside
    leaning towards the Primera as I had a Micra before this and it was very reliable and nippy enough

I've had them both. The Micra was my first car and I was very happy with it. Had it for nearly 3 years until it was 6 years old and NO repairs / breakdowns ever. Very nippy for a 1.0 liter car :)

The Primera was my second car and it's a good driver's car, but it is built in the UK, so you will not get the Japanese reliability. I've had several minor problems with it over the 2 years I owned it. Had I known it wasn't built in Japan, I might not have gone for it.....I sacrificed looks for reliability, but didn't get it

If I were you I would get the new model Mondeo. There are loads about in the Ford loving UK and you can probably pick one up same year and price as the Primera. The Mondeo is a better car as the old model Primera is now outdated. The Mondeo has consistently scored high in tests and is generally considered to be a class-leading driver's car. Buy a high spec model, drive it for two years and sell it on here for only a couple of thousand € less than you will pay in the UK now :)

Hope this helps m8

Advertisement