Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fr. Ted not on BBC sitcom poll

• 11-01-2004 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

The BBCare running a poll to find the UK's favourite sitcom. They comiled at list of 100 but you can only vote on the Top 10. Fr. Ted is in at no. 11. Does anybody else smell a fish here? After "A Nation Once Again" was voted the most popular song of all time the BBC probably didn't want to risk another Irish web assault!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sitcom/vote.shtml

:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I smell no plot only a silly thread....I voted Blackadder.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

i voted black adder as well, why are we so insecure we feel the need to rig english online polls.

Ill give you a hint why Father ted isn`t on the *BBC* polls, oh wait i just did

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

Ill give you a hint why Father ted isn`t on the *BBC* polls, oh wait i just did

It's not a poll of BBC comedy - it's British comedy and Fr. Ted was a C4 program.

And Fawlty Towers are obviously the best 12 episodes of comedy ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

umm all the creativity was irish, only the money was british
    bahhh

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

All I'm saying is that if Ted was one place higher, then us "insecure" Irish (a bazH says) would launch a campaign and it would inevitable be voted number one. Does anyone doubt it? As it is this can't happen.

And RTE turned down Fr. Ted so we have to give the brits the credit for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Originally posted by capistrano
    And RTE turned down Fr. Ted so we have to give the brits the credit for that.
    Lets not open that can of worms, RTE didnt turn Father Ted down, they never got offered it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Lady

I voted Fawlty Towers i always laughed my head off watching those they were classics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,004 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I don't particularly like any of those sitcoms. Voted fawlty towers as the best of a bad lot.

They don't give Irish republic as an option for Region (Hint hint?).

The "a nation once again" thing was amusing. The Damien Duff follow-up was ****ed though. "Okay it was funny once. ONCE".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Looking at whats in the Top10, Fr. Ted should be in there IMO, and not because its Irish. But never the less for me its a tough choice between Porridge and Only Fools.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by k.oriordan
    They don't give Irish republic as an option for Region (Hint hint?).

Er the bbc is a network paid for by the UK public we only get it by the grace of God, well cable! I pretended I was from Norn Iron which made me feel bad...

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Commissar

What I thought was a load of nonsense was when wasshername claimed that "The Vicar of Dibly" was the best religous satire:confused:
    No chance.

Went for Blackadder myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

What a **** thread. I hate all these d*ckheads who say situations like this are because of anti-irish sentiment. And all you morons who mass voted for 'A nation once again'.....well, you need a slap. Idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

Likewise voted for black adder pure class :D

I'm really surprised that red dwarf didnt make the top 10! as its much funnier that black adder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yeah, what is the vicar of dibley doing there? Its not even funny. Hell, it's not even good!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

It's a poll for the Brits, they're obviously never going to like or understand Father Ted as we would, let them vote for what they like for God's sake. Why should we care what they like, it's not about the //best// sitcom ever.

Originally posted by Civilian_Target
    Yeah, what is the vicar of dibley doing there? Its not even funny. Hell, it's not even good!

It's not funny to YOU, an IRISH PERSON. Don't you realise it's an exaggerated account of English idiosyncrasies?
    The same way British people might not 'get' Bachelors Walk.

Jesus.

Originally posted by Mr.Taz
    It's a poll for the Brits, they're obviously never going to like or understand Father Ted as we would, let them vote for what they like for God's sake. Why should we care what they like, it's not about the //best// sitcom ever.

Uh, which is why Fr Ted was so HUGE in the ratings? Yeah, those Brits really didn't get it. Fr Ted wasn't all Irish in-jokes. There was a lot of surreality in it, and last time I checked, surreal humour wasn't something we own....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by eth0_

The same way British people might not 'get' Bachelors Walk.

Who gets Bachelors walk?:rolleyes:

I didn't vote for "A nation Once Again," and I never claimed that Father Ted only being 11 was because of anti-Irish sentiment. I believe that it should have been higher than it was because it was an excellent comedy.
    Get off your high horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Beëlzebooze

Originally posted by eth0_
    What a **** thread. I hate all these d*ckheads who say situations like this are because of anti-irish sentiment. And all you morons who mass voted for 'A nation once again'.....well, you need a slap. Idiots.

finally somebody with some common sense.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

voted Fawlty Towers! a classic:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Porridge for me. If Whatever happened to/The Likey Lads were in it, I'd vote for it too. But that is down to the classic writing of Clement and La Franais.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,550 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Blackadder here as well - my fav is the second series :)

My favourite ever British sitcom was the young ones tho - literally made me cry laughing :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,318 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Why is Red Dwarf no there:mad:; Blackadder of course got my vote

Black Adder, Black Adder, he rides a pitch black steed.
    Black Adder, Black Adder, he's very bad indeed.

Black: his gloves of finest mole,
    Black: his codpiece made of metal,
    His horse is blacker than a vole,
    His pot is blacker than his kettle.

Thank god for BT I have all the episodes DVD quality :D:D:D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

For those that may not have noticed, the rest of the top 100 is here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sitcom/top11to100.shtml

Black Adder all the way.
    Went and bought the four season dvd set today.:D

Advertisement