Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do Taxi drivers always use hazard lights?

Options
  • 12-01-2004 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know why the hell taxi drivers always use their hazard lights when they pull in? Why can't they just indicate? At least that would give the driver behind them some sort of "indication" as to what their intentions are.
    It's as if they are using their hazrd lights for the sake of being dangerous. And they never indicate out either....makes no sense. There's nothing wrong with indicating, then pulling in - which they don't seem capable of doing. Why the hazard lights? They are creating a hazard by using them.

If anyone here is a taxi driver, or knows one, ask them why they are so ignorant.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't mind them using their hazards - I just dislike the way the slam on the brakes whilst doing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

Would it not be better if they used their indicators?
    Hazard lights aren't meant to be used when pulling over - that's what indicators are for. I just don't see their logic.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

my point was that I don't mind them using hazards as generally they don't use anything. Either way they usually just stop in traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Originally posted by herbie747
    Would it not be better if they used their indicators?
    Hazard lights aren't meant to be used when pulling over - that's what indicators are for. I just don't see their logic.

They don't do logic, something to do with deregulation.

Originally posted by Tommy Vercetti
    They don't do logic, something to do with deregulation.

I suppose - if they had any sort of brain that worked properly, they wouldn't be driving a taxi. Must be all the alcohol and curries that kills brain cells, and then the only job left that they have the aptitude for is driving - and they still can't to that with any sort of competence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Hazard lights give taxi drivers the right to do anything at anytime for no reason whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭an_taoiseach

Why do Taxi Drivers think that they dont have to use seat belts ?

( that is excluding the female of the species who seems to have no problem in this regard )

Come to think of it the few female taxi drivers that I have come across have been very good

An T

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Well they don't have to under the law.
    Although why they wouldn't is beyond me.

Originally posted by Kananga
    Well they don't have to under the law.
    Although why they wouldn't is beyond me.

Because if they had a brain, they would have a job that requires the use of it.

Also, why can't they STFU? I don't want to hear their racist slurs, and they also just presume you follow soccer - "Did you see the match?" ....... What match? And what sport? Rugby? Soccer? GAA? Do I care?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

They dont wear seat-belts so they can escape from the Taxi if they get attacked.

• Advertisement

Good point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

Originally posted by redoxan
    They dont wear seat-belts so they can escape from the Taxi if they get attacked.

And because the seat belt can be used to choke them!!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Why the hazard lights? They are creating a hazard by using them.

I always find that people using hazard lights are just letting us all know they are going to do something really stupid. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Does anyone know why the hell taxi drivers always use their hazard lights when they pull in? Why can't they just indicate? At least that would give the driver behind them some sort of "indication" as to what their intentions are.
    It's as if they are using their hazrd lights for the sake of being dangerous. And they never indicate out either....makes no sense. There's nothing wrong with indicating, then pulling in - which they don't seem capable of doing. Why the hazard lights? They are creating a hazard by using them.

If anyone here is a taxi driver, or knows one, ask them why they are so ignorant.
    Thanks.

You're not a driver are you? The use of hazards is a universal driving signal to other users that the vehicle in question is slowing down with a view to stopping. A single indicator does not always convey the intention to stop, merely to to turn. This use of hazards is a lot more common on the continent where it is accepted road practice to warn other roads users behind of impending traffic jams, accidents, or other reasons for sudden deceleration and eventual stopping. In this instance the use of hazards by taxi drivers indicates stopping for a period of time, not merely pulling to the side, and as such is quite correct practice. Just we in this country are perhaps not as aware of this as in other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

They use hazard lights because they are letting you know they are a hazard. They are a hazard to you. They are a hazard to your car. They are a hazard to the cyclist they nearly drove over. They are a hazard to the pedestrian they almost hit. They are a hazard to us all. But hey, at least they let you know. Don't be so ungrateful :p

Originally posted by MojoMaker
    You're not a driver are you? The use of hazards is a universal driving signal to other users that the vehicle in question is slowing down with a view to stopping. A single indicator does not always convey the intention to stop, merely to to turn. This use of hazards is a lot more common on the continent....

First off - I am a driver, that's why it annoys me. I'm driving along behind a taxi..and BANG! - hazard lights on. Which way is he going? - they don't always pull in! I already know he's slowing down, because his brake lights tell me that, but common sense should tell him to INDICATE his intentions. Quite simple.
    The use of hazards is a universal driving signal to other users that the vehicle in question is slowing down with a view to stopping.

No it's not - at least not in this country (and I seriously doubt your average Joe ignoramous taxi driver is versed in the ways of the continent): brake lights let the driver behind know you are slowing down and stopping. Hazard lights are for hazards - e.g. being towed, car broken down on motorway, some idiots even use them to draw attention to the fact that they are parked illegally. But they aren't used for stopping - that's just crazy talk, man!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Originally posted by Kananga
    Hazard lights give taxi drivers the right to do anything at anytime for no reason whatsoever.

yep just like construction workers magical yellow bibs which let them jay walk and stop traffic at will, bit like a superman cape

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

I suppose - if they had any sort of brain that worked properly, they wouldn't be driving a taxi. Must be all the alcohol and curries that kills brain cells, and then the only job left that they have the aptitude for is driving - and they still can't to that with any sort of competence.

Because if they had a brain, they would have a job that requires the use of it

your average Joe ignoramous taxi driver

A close relation of mine is a Taxi driver so I take great offence to this, if you feel that way about them how about never getting into a taxi again, you could have your own little protest!

I don't get into Taxi's. I prefer not to partake in racist and/or football and/or ignorant political conversation. I'm complaining about having to share the roads with them and their irrational maneouvres.

Maybe ask your relative "Why do Taxi drivers always use hazard lights?", and explain all my points to him.
    Thanks.
    Get back to me if he has anything intelligent or logical to say on the matter, other than "UGH", or "Oi'll bait him for sayin' tha!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

OK I'll do that for you :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Because if they had a brain, they would have a job that requires the use of it.
    LOL! I agree... I think its hallerious how the majority of taxi drivers, who's profession is driving, are some of the worst drivers on the road... The '"I can do anything when I have my hazard lights on" attitude drives me nuts, as does the "I have a lane of my own, (bus lane) but I still like to drive in the middle of both lanes so no one can get past at all..." Where I live there are lots of little one way streets with parking on either side, and taxi's constantly think they can just stop to let someone out, sometimes for ages, not caring about the line of traffic building up behind them, not able to move intil they do... so ignorant...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by MojoMaker
    You're not a driver are you? The use of hazards is a universal driving signal to other users that the vehicle in question is slowing down with a view to stopping. A single indicator does not always convey the intention to stop, merely to to turn. This use of hazards is a lot more common on the continent where it is accepted road practice to warn other roads users behind of impending traffic jams, accidents, or other reasons for sudden deceleration and eventual stopping. In this instance the use of hazards by taxi drivers indicates stopping for a period of time, not merely pulling to the side, and as such is quite correct practice. Just we in this country are perhaps not as aware of this as in other countries.

I just can't believe that post - I must be reading it wrong..

If the taxi is MOVING
    Why not just press gently on the brake pedal - brake lights go on - everyone knows you are slowing down / stopping - you can indicate too !

Hazards would be used when driving continuously slowly - ie stuck in first gear / broken windscreen.

Hazards should be turned off / hand signals used when turning other wise you are a danger to other road users (~80% of accidents at junctions) more so than if you had not turned on the hazards in the first place.

If I read it right you claim that you can turn/stop suddenly because you have Hazards on instead of warning with indicators or brake lights !!!!!

I hope I have misread your post as I consider driving practises like that far more dangerous than using brake lights and indicator at the same time. (and if someone brakes and indicates at same time then I will prepare to either overtake if they do pull in or stop if they stop at the side of the road instead of rubbernecking to see where the hazard is)

If the taxi has ALREADY stopped
    then of course you can turn on the hazards as everyone in Dublin knows you can double park / park on double yellows for quite a while if you have hazards on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

in racist and/or football and/or ignorant political conversation.
    I suppose - if they had any sort of brain that worked properly, they wouldn't be driving a taxi. Must be all the alcohol and curries that kills brain cells

Jesus, what crawled up your as$ and bit ya? You won't contribute to 'racist footbal, or ignorant political conversation'... I think your being mighty ignorant yourself, in posting stuff like that.

'if they had any sort of brain' ... FFS man, get off your high horse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

I don't see what the problem is here...if you're driving behind a bus or taxi you should be anticipating that they are likely to stop anyway. It's basic driving knowledge. Methinks you're just looking for another reason to complain about taxi drivers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Buses use brake lights and indicators and stop at Bus stops. It's been a long time since buses opened their doors between stops. Buses are fairly predicatable and stop frequently.

I'll bet any money the average journey in a Taxi is further than the distance between two bus stops..

Hang on a moment ..

Does this mean that if bicycles have indicators they can just have them flashing all the time and drivers will know the bike may pull in / stop / keep moving slowly and hand signals won't be needed etc. ?????

Have to agree about women taxi drivers being competent etc.
    Come to think of it the few female taxi drivers that I have come across have been very good

An T
    /me bites tongue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

Actually, they aren't "hazard lights" but "double-parking lights." I also notice that women in Cork use them a lot, and maybe that is why they always run from the car to wherever they are going, and then run back to the car from where they were.

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    ALREADY stopped then of course you can turn on the hazards as everyone in Dublin knows you can double park / park on double yellows for quite a while if you have hazards on.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by TomF
    Actually, they aren't "hazard lights" but "double-parking lights." I also notice that women in Cork use them a lot, and maybe that is why they always run from the car to wherever they are going, and then run back to the car from where they were.
    While in between stopping to chat for 15 minutes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by TomF
    Putting on your hazard lights while stopped helps you get to the nail bar or shoemaker faster. It's like a baseball cap for people who don't have a baseball cap.

Advertisement