Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Republic Of Loose - Whelans - 9th February

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Cozpyro

Republic of Loose are playing

The Waterats
    328 Grays Inn Road
    Kings Cross
    London
    WC1X 8BZ

on Thursday 19th February 2004!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭TeenStar

have been dying to see you guys play for ages, never been to one of your gigs so looking forward to it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

You won't be disappointed Teenstar. These guys are brilliant. So brilliant in fact, that I'm driving all the way back from Westmeath to see them! (and my mates "Mike Got Spiked" are supporting!)

Republic Of Loose have announced the following upcoming dates:

09/02/04
    Whelans
    Wexford St
    Dublin

19/02/04
    The Waterats Theatre
    328 Grays Inn Road
    London
    WC1X 8BZ

26/02/04
    Cuba
    Eyre Square
    Galway

28/02/04
    Nerve Centre
    7-8 Magazine St
    Derry
    BT48 6NJ

29/02/04
    Spirit Store
    Georges Quay
    Dundalk

10/03/04
    Mission
    217 Bowery
    Prince/Rivington
    NYC
    NY 10012

11/03/04
    The Knitting Factory
    74 Leonard St
    NYC
    NY 10013

More dates still to be confirmed.

Confirmed Guests for Whelans on 9th February are "Mike Got Spiked" and "The Mighty Stef"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭TeenStar

excellent i'll try and get a few people to come along too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭startled_frog

One of the guys I work with wants to go to the gig in Whelans coz he went to school with the lead singer.
    I told him no, he's an annoyin poop.

Republic of Loose play The Half Moon Club, Emmet Place, Cork on Sunday 22nd February.

Don't Forget Whelans on Monday!

www.republicofloose.com (New Look Site!!)
    info@republicofloose.com

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

can u get republic of loose cds anywhere.... i have looked in laods of places and they don't seem to exisit anywhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭luce

They had 'Girl I Want To Fuck You Up' in Tower last time I was in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

hu,mmm, must go looking agian cause i couldn't find it there.... or road or hmv

• Advertisement

Not sure if there are any left in the shops.

There will be copies on sale at the Whelans Gig tonight.

If you can't make that you can pick it up here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000DD99M/republicofloo-21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 musicmaker2001

Saw the republic of loose in Whelan's and have to say that I wasn't all that impressed. They sounded like bad Fun Lovin Criminals impersonators to me (and others).

No point in a long negative e-mail, but here's a few points:

the FLCs are not that good - if you're going to imitate a band, pick a good one.. or at least an innovative one - not a bunch of guys who are so 'new yawk' that no one in NY has heard of them

drop the African-American nonsense (see the hot press interview?) - didn't you know the Commitments was a parody??!! Go back to whatever pasty white southside suburb you come from and try understanding your real roots - living off de mammy and daddy etc.

get the lead singer a face lift - he looks about 300 and scared the girlfriend... although I'm reliably told he has never done a day's work in his life - must be all the cotton picking, right?

ah I could go on, but it's Saturday morning and I haven't had a beer yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭T.B.L.

how wrong you are, how wrong you are, no need to say anything else really.

www.beautifullosers.info

Oh, I see. Sorry about that.

Funnily enough, I read this about the band today...

But when he opens his mouth the gospel-soul tunes that cascade around the room take you back to those heady days when The Commitments first burst out of Ireland.

http://www.virtualfestivals.com/festivals/article.cfm?articleid=880

Ah yes, heady days for rock and roll indeed :rolleyes:

A glowing review and best of luck to the band, but my point is that they are selling a version of new yawk (i.e. seen on telly and heard on Fun Loving Criminal records) that is a load of b*x and bears no great relation to the real New York (or Ireland). Add their phoney working class/African-American sales patter and they just come across -to me- as a bunch of silly wan*ers. No accounting for taste, I know.... :)

It's not like I'm singling this band out... The Thrills are another massively derivative band doing the rounds, but don't get me started on them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭T.B.L.

sure an opinion is an opinion I just think this band are great, think the frontman is great and think they are 10 times better musicans than the fun ****y lovin criminals, cant wait for the album. Hate to think what you think of us if anything! tom

www.beautifullosers.info

Thanks to the **** stirrer who sent me this from the Republic of Loose website :)

Found a post from some gimp who believes we're tryin to copy F.L.C., and slags us for persuing the idiom of African-American pop music. Suck my ****en balls Bitch.

You're over compensating there. I must have touched a nerve. I know I did, cos I saw this online today...

the six-piece Republic of Loose from Dublin. Already acclaimed back home, their seedy if effortless take on funk and blues produces a set of naggingly familiar tunes placing them somewhere between Fun Lovin’ Criminals and, well, real criminals.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,585-1016352,00.html

Republic of Loose - Naggingly familiar tunes - Fun Lovin Criminals - let me break it down for you 'Benjamin'... HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Pity the foo's.

Advertisement