Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom cuts broadband rates

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

the UTV BB package seem the cheapest with the highest cap, but you have to sign up for calls too.

are the rates good on the calls and whats the connection like?

Flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

IOL's cap is the same as UTV and with the new phone bundle deal the Broadband is only €40 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

Originally posted by Davey Devil
    IOL's cap is the same as UTV and with the new phone bundle deal the Broadband is only €40 per month.

Or you could say phone pack is only €15 and the broadband is still €50.

That's cheap phone then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Can you get the phone only part of the package for €25?

If so, then the broadband bit IS €40. If not, then its anyting from 0.01 to 64.99.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    The Eircon ppl will pay 40 euros; but since IOLBB get there BB from Eircon and all they are cutting off that (Wholesale price) is 4 euros I'll pay 45 euros (if I get ALL of the price cut fowarded to me); also with a cap it's pointless having 512kb cause I can't use it!! - THE CAP MUST DIE:ninja:.

It doesn't work that way, the wholesale reduction to e23 from e27 is excluding VAT and it also applies to Eircom. This means it should be possbile for Esat/IOL and UTV to at least match the e40 price point, if not undercut it (likely if they bundle it with a telephone package).

Well, I'm still waiting to find out if I'll ever be able to get Ripwave from the tower in Clondalkin. I'm in an apartment so can't have a roof aerial. €30/month and no phone line rental is a price I can really live with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Sarsfield
    Can you get the phone only part of the package for €25?

If so, then the broadband bit IS €40. If not, then its anyting from 0.01 to 64.99.
    Well you can get the BB bit of the package for only €49.99, which makes the phone bit only €15.

It's a bundle. The minimun cost of the bundle is €65. If you spend more that €20 a month on local and national calls, then you can save money on the broadband. Some people do spend that much, and can save money. Some people don't spend that much, and won't save money.

Originally posted by Sarsfield
    Well, I'm still waiting to find out if I'll ever be able to get Ripwave from the tower in Clondalkin. I'm in an apartment so can't have a roof aerial. €30/month and no phone line rental is a price I can really live with!
    Have you called IBB about this recently? They should be starting to make some publicity noises now, while oreillycom are stirring things up with their misleading publicity stunts.

It's no suprise that oreillycom are trying to give the impression that they'll be making BB cheaper at about the same time that we expect to see (or we hope to, anyway) the wireless operators begining to address the market.

Originally posted by Ripwave
    Have you called IBB about this recently?

e-mail sent today.

I contacted them before Christmas asking specifically about Ripwave. I was disappointed with the response which was an e-mail with a pdf of their product range attached. Not a single word in the e-mail itself apart from the senders automatically added signature!

Todays e-mail was send as a reply to the above. Now I have a named person to contact I'm hoping for a better response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Eh no, theyre both 8GB but unlike IOL, UTV only take downloads into account.

I've been through this a thousand times, on IOL you can download 8 gigs or upload 8 gigs it's not combined.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=134206

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

I've been through this a thousand times, on IOL you can download 8 gigs or upload 8 gigs it's not combined.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=134206

IOL actually state that it is 8gb combined, but at the moment they are only taking downloads into account.

Originally posted by daveyjoe
    IOL actually state that it is 8gb combined, but at the moment they are only taking downloads into account.
    Where do they state that it's 8G combined?

(I don't have IOLBB, but I'm sick and tired of this thread. If you have a point to make, please back it up with hard facts, either URLs, screenshots or direct qoutes from the T&C, so that we don't have to keep going round and round the same bloody mulberry bush every week!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Look at attachment - stop asking OVER and OVER:rolleyes:.

Look at attachment - stop asking OVER and OVER:rolleyes:.
    I've seen this attachment (it's essentially the same as the one that DaveyDevil posted). That's why I asked the person who contradicted it to quote his source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 Ricardfred

Originally posted by rymus
    Anyone want to bet how long it'll be before the line rental charge is increased to recoup the 'losses' they're making by lowering the dsl rental?

Not long! Just on radio that they are seeking a 7.5% increase in line rental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

yeah it's another classic irish scam for PR. cut broadband rates and increase the line rental. it's a load of arse

No thats MY page:D; look at the month.

No thats MY page:D; look at the month.
    Yes (sigh), I know it's your page. It makes exactly the same point that Davey Devils sceenshot made. That's why I said that it's essentially the same - the essence of the information that it conveys is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Ricardfred
    Not long! Just on radio that they are seeking a 7.5% increase in line rental.

rofl. when I originally posted that I thought I was safe that there wouldnt be a line rental hike for at least 3/4 months. Time to get the wireless bb lads around again to do an LOS test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

oh man oh man, I am thanking my lucky stars I went with IBB :) We love you eircom.

Originally posted by Ripwave
    Yes (sigh), I know it's your page. It makes exactly the same point that Davey Devils sceenshot made. That's why I said that it's essentially the same - the essence of the information that it conveys is the same.

Ahh come on Ripwave there are new ppl signing in on Boards.ie all the time and you can hardly expect ppl to have read ALL the previous threads; a question was asked and you just reply - even if the reply has been written 40 times:) - for some ppl it may be the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

ok i posted my letter for iolbb on around the 23of december.I havent got it yet.
    now i see on the iol webpage offering it for 40E a month +phone.
    I allready have my phone from iol..so will the bb cost me 40 or 50E.
    cuppa

Originally posted by cuppa
    ok i posted my letter for iolbb on around the 23of december.I havent got it yet.
    now i see on the iol webpage offering it for 40E a month +phone.
    I allready have my phone from iol..so will the bb cost me 40 or 50E.
    cuppa
    IOLBB costs €49.99. If you want the bundle that costs €65, including phone, then you have to explicitly sign up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Irish ISP's started as the mean to go on; if an uncapped product does come along, it won't last long.

Irish broadband seem to be here to stay, their product (the LOS one) is completely unmetered. Ripwave however is metered, in that if you use it excessively you'll have to cut down.
    There is no download limit with Ripwave. However, to ensure fair and equitable access to all users, a fair usage policy will apply. Irish Broadband reserves the right to contact those users with excessive usage to request adherance to reasonable limits.

That seems quite fair to me. Obviously if some a-hole is download full speed 24x7 he should be asked to cut down.

Also, IBB are supposedly starting to roll out their new 3.5ghz wireless gear soon, which means userse can get a signal further fromt he basestation, and it doesn;t have to be perfect los, another great bonus. Ripwave also comes in the 3.5ghz flavour (i believe). And i would presume they would use that aswell.

Advertisement