Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registry

Options
  • 12-01-2004 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

A mates machine, winxp, when it starts the registry pops up every time, annoying, how can I stop it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

That sounds a bit conincendental.....

My machine at home - winxp pro - everytime it starts up now 2 windows exploreres open. Because i don't use the machine much I had a quick look - but no matter what i tried i couldn't get into msconfig. Everytime i ran msconfig it just refocused onto one of the opened explorer windows. After 30 seconds of messing i had enough and said I'd tackle it another day! lol

But now when I hear this - I think i'll go home and have a closer look. This just happened all of a sudden. And anyone that asks - yes all windows were closed on last shutdown - i rebooted a couple of times and noticed this!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Go there in the registry and delete any keys that you dont need also check in the Startup folder in Programs in the Start Menu. Make sure you back up your Reg.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭hacksaw-eddie

hey,
    theres nothing obvious wrong with my xp, but i went in there just to take a look at whats there (hkey...)
    i found a file which was xxxmpeg.. or something and i obviously deleted it as i never saw it before!
    would there be other spamming or popup things in my registry that shouldnt be there and if so, should i just delete them as i did above, does this effect anything else in windows?
    cheers

Advertisement