Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bluetooth Modem

• 12-01-2004 12:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭

I realise that this will be of no interest to you lucky few who're happily surfing away with broadband from your Wi-Fi enabled latops on the easy chair but for the rest of us poor sods out there I think the newly announced Socket Cordless 56kbps modem could be very useful if, like me, you've got a 40ft telephone extension lead trailing across a room and a hallway and up a stairs. :rolleyes:

~~~~~~~~~~~
    -Jim.
    http://mmsmemo.blogs.com

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

looks great - espececially with the rechargeable battery operation - although would have liked it to offer longer than the 3hr continuous usage they quote for it

Zoom and Acer also make Bluetooth modems so might be an option for the more sedentary users -could also be a cheaper option depending on socket's pricing may be a premium applied due to the flexibility of battery operation

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 blackdogbytes

Does anyone know where you can actually buy these bluetooth modems ? they seem to be impossible to get this side of the Atlantic!!!

It's drivin me mad! I'm not payin the outrageous price that's been charged for broadband in Ireland. 56k is enough for me for the moment.

Please help !!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

Well Expansys Ireland have two other ones on their list (for order). One is the Sphinx Pico Modem at €296.45 and the other is a Sony which doesn't appear to be compatible with everything?

I think I'd be inclined to wait on for a Zoom or Socket unit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -Jim.

I dediced to do a little more researh on the Sphinx modems and Google hardly throws up anything other than pointers to Expansys but it was interesting to see that there are alot of them being flogged on eBay.

In fact one German Power Seller, who ships worldwide, has them listed at a "Buy Now" price of EUR 49.00.

Is it the cynic in me or is this too good to be true?

:rolleyes:

-Jim.

yeah - i think you'd be right to be weary.

I remember one for sale on ebay and the seller saying he couldnt get it to work with his pc, and that he wouldnt guarantee it would work for anyone else.

Bluetooth seems to have alot of compatibility problems!!

• Advertisement

I've discovered that both the Socket and Zoom bluetooth modems can be ordered from www.expansys.ie
    As you would expect they're a few quid cheaper on .co.uk site but with postage it's cheaper to stick to the .ie site.

Just ordered the Zoom meself, can't wait!!

Excellent! Please let us know how it works out for you. I'll be particularly interested to know what range you can get through how many walls and how it affects data speeds.

I think the battery feature of the Socket might suit me better so I may well go for that....

-Jim.

Yeah - I'll let you know how it goes! Expansys are waiting stock of both these items, so hopefully they'll have them in a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

expansys can be pretty bad for estimating delivery dates unfortunately (usually when the number of days stays static) i looked up Zoom and Socket at an event last week to ask about their modems...

Zoom said they are shipping their in the UK and PC World should have them in stock, so might be worth a shot asking the the one here, Socket said they had only just begun shipping initial units to distributors last week

However, there were several Bluetooth modems on display from some of the Asian manufacturers/resellers so hopefully there should be a few more options coming on stream in the not too distant future...

BrianG

Well I got my Zoom Bluetooth modem delivered yesterday. And it's brill!
    It was really easy to setup - had it dialed into the internet within 10 minutes of opening the box.
    I can get a reception from two rooms away and also between floors. So it's just what I hoped for. The dial-in speed is displaying as 115 kps - but this is obviously not correct. But I'd say it's as fast as a standard direct 56k modem.
    So all in all, I'd recommend it. It took Expansys about 8 days to get it in. Here's the link to it:
    http://www.expansys.ie/product.asp?code=107121

Worth every penny if you want wireless internet access and can't afford broadband!

• Advertisement
Advertisement