Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did anyone elses M$ word come to a halt?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭somano

Yeah well I cant get into mine - tried the link it seems to almost get me in whereas the screen would freeze before now. My problem I thought was memory and maybe WIN 98.

I wonder will everything suddenly start to go wrong with WIn 98 to make people upgrade ? Conspirarcy theory anyone ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

per usual I gota say it, just use OpenOffice :D
    Problem Fixed!
    :p

On another note, Win98 support has been extented till 2006

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by Cabaal
    per usual I gota say it, just use OpenOffice :D
    Problem Fixed...

If only Open Office had VBA I would...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

The VBA thing is annoying, but there are work arounds.

Office 2K is a little 20th Century for my liking. I have 80 or so employees in here, with roughly half on OO 1.1. Everything is fine. The apssword thing is a pain, and some people moan about macros, but screw them, macros serve no useful purpose to well trained people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by Jaden
    I have 80 or so employees in here, with roughly half on OO 1.1. Everything is fine. The apssword thing is a pain, and some people moan about macros, but screw them, macros serve no useful purpose to well trained people.

Nice to see OO being used in a company like that,
    if you don't mind me asking why don't they other half of employee's move over to OO?

Originally posted by Jaden
    The VBA thing is annoying, but there are work arounds.

.... macros serve no useful purpose to well trained people.

You obviously have no idea how much time and productivity that can be achieved from a well written VBA application. One of my "macros" (applications really) took a task that was taking a team of 3 highly trained people 20-30 mins and reduced it to 2-3mins, with the benefits of greatly reduced user error and much greater functionality that wasn't possible before. If you have 80 people using office software and its not automated theres a lot of potential going to waste. Most people think what they do is can't be automated. But in reality you can automate almost everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    You obviously have no idea how much time and productivity that can be achieved from a well written VBA application. One of my "macros" (applications really) took a task that was taking a team of 3 highly trained people 20-30 mins and reduced it to 2-3mins, with the benefits of greatly reduced user error and much greater functionality that wasn't possible before. If you have 80 people using office software and its not automated theres a lot of potential going to waste. Most people think what they do is can't be automated. But in reality you can automate almost everything.

actually this is very true, i recently wrote a little vba app that 'catches' frequently repeated tasks and creates macros to do the task, very handy little app, cuts out overpaid IT types who like to brag about their work on the web :D

just a little joke ricardo, no offence

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    You obviously have no idea how much time and productivity that can be achieved from a well written VBA application. .... But in reality you can automate almost everything.
    Including viruses - no need to send emails warning about teddy bears...

Don't get me started about macros - helps a lot if all your users are on the same version of office :mad:

An OO niggle - word internal hyperlinks

I so wish I was one of the overpaid IT types!!! :D

Theres annoying differences between the Office versions for sure. But any half decent programmer should be able to write a Macro that works with all versions. Theres a world of a difference between recording minor macros, scripts and programming in VBA. Programming in VBA is the same as VB more or less.

• Advertisement
Advertisement