Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat talk n' Surf

• 12-01-2004 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone here is using Esat as their landline operator or if anyone has signed up to the talk and surf

I am thinking of moving to that talk n surf offer whereby you sign up to Esat for landline and broadband and get the broadband for 40 euros a month and also get unlimited local and national calls for a flat fee.

Now, assuming my current phone bill warrants a changeover (ie. Assuming I currently spend more with Eircom per month than the Esat flat fee per month ) then does it sound like a good offer?

Are Esat generally considered good in terms of landline?

Or does anyone know of any hidden clauses that might affect how I can use the service?

How have people found changing over from Eircom to Esat landline...difficult or easy?

Any advice or tips appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Well I've been using IOL BB for the last 4 /5 months and had Esat BT Home Phone for the last year. I've recently changed over to Esat BT Avd Plus, migration was completed in about 2 weeks. There is no difference in call quality, just in the bill. However you will continue to have Eircom call both to your door and phone you at least once a month :(
    I should be on a bundle by Feb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

The quality of service on the Esat BT home phone is the same as the quality of service on the eircom home phone line.

The only restriction that's in place is that no single voice call can last over 60 minutes long, you can hang up after 59 minutes and redial the number and stay on the line for another 59 minutes etc etc.

You'll still be billed your line rental from eircom and you'll still be hassled to go back to them every so often

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Has anybody ascertained whether or not existing IOLBB customers can migrate to a talk-n-surf bundle? I doubt it but just thought I'd ask before sitting in a queue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by fatherdougalmag
    Has anybody ascertained whether or not existing IOLBB customers can migrate to a talk-n-surf bundle? I doubt it but just thought I'd ask before sitting in a queue.

I do not see why not. Just call 'em up and ask to be changed over. You may need to fill out the forms again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

We're existing BB customers and after ringing a few times cause we couldn't get to talk to anyone (guess who's fault, clue: Not ours) we finally got someone. They said it's fine if you're already a BB customer. You sign up and they drop the price of your BB.

They promised us a form in the post....we'll see if it arrives!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

so this whole bundle....
    its a standard BB connection, except for 40 euro?
    are the call charges better than eircom? i know about the flat rate, but im not sure if it would mean any saving in my house....

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by flogen
    so this whole bundle....
    its a standard BB connection, except for 40 euro?
    are the call charges better than eircom? i know about the flat rate, but im not sure if it would mean any saving in my house....

Well, ALL landline calls within the 32 counties (yes that includes Northern Ireland) are free. I have found Esat to be quite a lot cheaper than Eircom on all other calls too. As far as I know they actually guarantee to be cheaper than Eircom now (got a letter from them the other week).

Well, ALL landline calls within the 32 counties (yes that includes Northern Ireland) are free.

wowzer! We dont really make international calls (except afew to the UK), so thatd be perfect
    ok, so youd be paying line rental and all that jazz for eircom, and the 40yoyos for BB, what else?

Flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

You must pay €25 a month for the telephony service (Advantage Plus).

well, €65 is almost certainly less than the monthly costs at the mo (and thats even without internet charges....i think)

I may be giving esat a call, i was going to go to them anyway, until the eircom announcement, but this is much better.

Flogen

• Advertisement

Originally posted by flogen
    wowzer! We dont really make international calls (except afew to the UK), so thatd be perfect
    ok, so youd be paying line rental and all that jazz for eircom, and the 40yoyos for BB, what else?

Flogen

And....calls to the UK are 8c a min all the time with Esat as opposed to about 14c per min peak and 12.4c off peak with Eircom.

yeah, and their mobile call charges are cheaper too!

one thing, it doesnt seem to specify on the site, but does the advantage plus deal include peak calls as well as off peak?

Flogen

My understanding is that yes they do mean peak, off-peak and everything. I am not 100% sure but reading this:

Savings on ALL your calls

As one of the points they make here is what convinces me. I'm sure it must be the case.

Erm...just reread that page. Not sure it applies to the talk n surf offer. However, I'm still sure they mean peak and off peak calls.

Advertisement