Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a desktop hub on company network

• 12-01-2004 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

Hi all - at work i only have one network point at my desk. I often have to bring PC's back to my desk to reinstall OS's etc which means i have to use my one network point on these machines. I'd love to be able to surf the web etc while the other machine is doing it's thing, which brings me to my question. If i got a small say 4 port hub on my desk and plugged two machines into it and plugged the hub into the network would it solve my problem? Is it possible it would cause problems on the network and i end up getting an arse kicking from the network guys? Any suggestions appreciated.

Duke

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Depends on what you get I would imagine.
    But first look to ahve more network points installed.
    Tell them it would enable you to be more productive if you could use your own PC while rebuilding the others!

If you have to get a hub/switch no it shouldn't be any trouble!
    Just be aware if you were to get a big switch and give it an IP that their could be an IP conflict.
    But as far as I know a switch only needs an IP for easier management and it is not obligitory.

Try and get an extra network point first!

Advertisement