Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP Please (Batch files)

Options
  • 12-01-2004 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi,

I want to create a batch file to delete all the microsoft games such as

sol.exe
    freecell.exe
    winmine.exe
    mshearts.exe

on a windows 98 machine. Can anyone please help me! I'm new to this stuff!
    :confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

del C:\winnt\system32\sol.exe
    del C:\winnt\system32\mshearts.exe
    del C:\winnt\system32\freecell.exe
    del C:\winnt\system32\winmine.exe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

open notepad.. put the following into it and save as a .bat file...

@echo off
    del c:\windows\sol.exe

etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

shouldn't it be c:\windows?

i haven't run it-but it should work.

contents as follows:

@echo off
    del C:\windows\system32\sol.exe
    del C:\windows\system32\mshearts.exe
    del C:\windows\system32\freecell.exe
    del C:\windows\system32\winmine.exe

copy and paste that into notepad.exe and save as "whatever.bat" (with quotes,in case..). and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

Forgive me but why not just mouse it into System32 and right click on the offending files and press delete. It is actually easier than writing a batch file.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ya might as well remove the associated help files
    and menu shortcuts too ..

del "%windir%\start menu\progams\games\*.*"
    RD "%windir%\start menu\progams\games\*.*"

(or whatever the path is)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by momozone
    Hi,

I want to create a batch file to delete all the microsoft games such as

sol.exe
    freecell.exe
    winmine.exe
    mshearts.exe

Note to self.. rename games directory. :rolleyes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3247595.stm

* I don't play games at work, least of all those games but I do know that things like Freecell or screensavers have a huge effect on keeping your employees somewhat happy. If you think it will stop slacking it won't, they will just find something else to slack about.
    Forgive me but why not just mouse it into System32 and right click on the offending files and press delete. It is actually easier than writing a batch file.

Because he probably wants to do it on the sly, and not have to stand there while everyone is going "Why are you deleting that?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Originally posted by Hobbes
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3247595.stm

* I don't play games at work, least of all those games but I do know that things like Freecell or screensavers have a huge effect on keeping your employees somewhat happy. If you think it will stop slacking it won't, they will just find something else to slack about.

Damn wish my boss had seen that =)
    Ahwell at least I can show him that for this summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭momozone

I have a policy editor blocking access to C: drive so in this case its easier to do it through a batch file. Also I have 120 PC's to do it on hence the batch file again....

By the way Rename the games directory?????? System32??????

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You have been given the instructions to do it, however as mentioned you would be better off leaving them there as they do add to morale within the company.

If you have a slacker, they are just going to find another way to slack off.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If they are still running 98 then it will take no time for the little Darlings to get new games, and this time they could be copyrighted ones or trojans..
    Or have you disabled all Floppies, CD's and USB ports and restricted Internet access and made sure your email system can filter embedded objects in word docs - otherwise games will arrive back again - like weeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

If you are being sly then how about sending an email (on the sly of course) when the apps are launched? You could then reply to the emails with "Stop Slacking!"
    Then you'd change the Start Menu items to launch your new app with the path to the game as a parameter. The new app could wait until the game was closed and then send the email and report the amount of time that the game was running.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/16/personal_email/
    The productivity of UK businesses is being threatened by employees who waste time emailing their friends, new research claims. Forty per cent of UK workers spend an hour or more every day messaging friends and relatives and swapping jokes, according to a poll by Clearswift. UK IT departments proved the worst behaved, spending 17 days a year chatting with friends. Their non-technical colleagues dedicated 13 days to personal email.
    It's only fair to point out that IT people usually end up working an extra day a week overtime...

All work and no play etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

This is so funny:
    UK IT departments proved the worst behaved, spending 17 days a year chatting with friends.
    I say: You just don't understand the environment. :D

So, 120 PC's to go. Delete ALL MS games?

Just out of curiosity, did you get any reasons for the decision?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭momozone

I got it done. I include in the login batch file that runs on all PC's when the agents log in to delete them by their file names. We have disabled CD ROMs and Floppy's Also we are all behind a Sonic Wall so they have no internet. Problem Solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

momozone wrote:
    I got it done. I include in the login batch file that runs on all PC's when the agents log in to delete them by their file names. We have disabled CD ROMs and Floppy's Also we are all behind a Sonic Wall so they have no internet. Problem Solved.
    Are there any "odd" shifts, where there are no supervisors around, such as night shifts, etc.

We worked in a great place. Had all the crap disabled. But idle hands found ways around things. 3 minutes and your floppy and CDROM are back working. Some brief browsing through network shares yields 2 years' worth of saved joke emails - that killed about 2 days for me. Same badly organised network shares also yielded Administrator passwords, Internet proxy passwords, all sorts of things.

From a network of NT4 machines that were completely locked down, me and two other guys eventually had admin control, our own private Web proxy connected to a 2Mbit pipe - since we had proxy control, we had IM and file sharing running, as well as havng access to all of the private files stored by all of the managers.

Was it wrong? Well if I found someone doing it now in my current job, I'd go mad, but back then we were so bored. If we had just solitaire and web access, we'd have left well alone. You'll just piss off the employees, they'll test your network security to its limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

I'd agree, too much control will just build up resentment. You should set performance targets for the employees rather than try to control every aspect of their work. If they're getting their work done on time, then whats wrong with them playing games for a while. I hate micro management.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Maybe momozone, like the rest of us, is executing orders rather than giving them.

We have a managed desktop in work (no access to C drive but there is internet access) and I doubt any non techie people have found a way around it. For techie people it isn't issue because the managed desktop doesn't apply to IT!

Advertisement