Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New rig, what do you think...

• 12-01-2004 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

120919 AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2,0 GHz
    - Socket 754, 1 MB cache, BOXED 309.75

121241 Abit KV8-MAX3 mainboard for Socket 754
    - K8T800, SATA, LAN, ATX, Raid, Firewire 174.24

115392 Sky Hawk PSR5601 Miditower, Silver
    - Aluminium case, without power supply 80.39

112086 Q-Tec PSU ATX 450W Dual Fan
    - PSU for PIII/AMD/P4 CPUs 38.83

122901 Sapphire Radeon 9800 Atlantis PRO 128MB
    - AGP,ATI9800PRO,DVI-I,TV-Out, Lite-Retail 308.55

112820 Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo III 7.1
    - Soundcard PCI, Retail 50.82

119744 Samsung 19" CRT Syncmaster 957P TCO99
    - Screen (EN) 216.59

119647 Corsair TWINX512-4000 DDR-DIMM 512MB
    - Kit w/two matched CMX256-4000 DIMMs 199.65

111057 Trust Internet Keyboard PS/2
    - Retail 18.22

120084 Creative Mouse Optical 5000
    - mouse USB, Retail 24.2

120590 Spire CPU-Fan KestrelKing II S754/940
    - SP708B3 For Opteron/Athlon 64 21.78

100727 Sony Floppy Drive 3,5" 1,44MB MPF-920
    - Floppy Drive, Internal 15.58

120556 MSI DVD-burner IDE DR4-A, Retail
    - DVD+R/+RW and DVD-R/-RW 121

Total: 1579.6

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Nice to be sure did u get it ?

Only thing that i would change is the PSU i have heard that q-tec are not the best. But it looks like its a very good machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

id go for an xp3000 64 instead. nominal decreace in benchmarks and you should save about 100 quid and use it to make the 9800 an XT,

id get a better brand of power supply, people run into problems with q-tec
    swap the creative mouse for a logitec 700(rf)/900(blue tooth) or the new intelli mouse wireless which is getting good reviews

one last thing, dump the floppy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Havent bought it yet, it'll be 2 weeks yesterday when I order, going way for a week then building a PC for my cousin. This is what I'm thinking now but i'll read some more parts reviews and change some stuff. depending on costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,650 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by strat
    id go for an xp3000 64 instead. nominal decreace in benchmarks and you should save about 100 quid

Agree with strat
    Originally posted by BadCharlie
    Only thing that i would change is the PSU

Yeah get a decent PSU - recent link (last few days) to some quality reviews of PSU's in this forum. If you are going to spend €1600 you might as well spend another €50 or €60 and get a top quality PSU. I'm sure you don't want the system to suffer from horrific instability problems?

Also re-think your CPU fan. Again plenty to read on this forum in the last few days

Apart from that a fine rig m8 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Is this rig just to play games?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

id go for an xp3000 64 instead. nominal decreace in benchmarks and you should save about 100 quid and use it to make the 9800 an XT,

Buying the 3000 vs the 3200 on Komplett saves you only €50. I think thats most likely due to the fact their 3200 price is quite good, not that the 3000 price is bad.

Matt

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

one last thing, dump the floppy :)

Agreed, do yourself a favour and get yourself a nice USB stick, fits more and is faster and will last longer then any floppy disk..plus there not that expensive now
    :D

They've only got 2 heat sinks for socket 754 on complete but I might be buying the memory from an english supplier so I'll check for superior heat sinks.

This system wont be overclocked he just wants a good system to browse & play games on, he also has a home cinema he might hook it up to, I figure this'll give him a couple of years future proofed gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

I'd say get a decent keyboard too, not a piece of crap from Trust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Complete?

Komplett.

Comp - let

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Originally posted by moridin
    I'd say get a decent keyboard too, not a piece of crap from Trust.

I have a trust 305ks wireless optical desktop set. And its by far better than any other keyboard i have seen. And used. And i have used all the microsoft ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

I don't like MS keyboards.

Dell do a really nice quietkey keyboard that I think is fab, and their large clicky ones aren't bad either. I don't like these keyboards where it feels like the keys should be on a laptop, and anything I've seen from trust feels cheap and has dodgy key action.

Seeing as it's the main method of data input on your machine it's worth spending something decent on it IMO :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

They've only got 2 heat sinks for socket 754 on komplete

Heres an irish site that stocks the Zalman 7000 which will suit Socket 754 and is quiet with good cooling..........check it out.

Your system looks like a beast TBH , should be a great gaming machine..... just dont get a Q-Tec PSU, good ones would be Antec, Fortron, be-quiet, enermax, zalman, PCP & P..... any of those power supplys are excellent, the higher the wattage the better (400w should see you safe).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

I'd get rid of the keyboard and ditch the mouse. Thats the two components where the least amount of money can mean the biggest difference.

If you're not typing much, any keyboard will do (even Trust hehe).
    I guess you'd be using the mouse a lot more regardless of what you do.

Personally, I'd go with Logitech MX range. MX700 or MX900, looking absolutely gorgeous, great ergonomics, best drivers in the world and outstanding precision.

Replace the MSI burner with something more decent, for the sake of a few quid it's really not worth it. They have tons of issues, and unless you plan on using the DVD recordables on your machine only you might as well spend a bit more and ensure you're compatibile with others. I'd suggest Pioneer and Plextor.

Dunno how power hungry the Athlon 64's are, but I personally I wouldn't go near a Q-Tec power supply. Get yourself an Enermax, even a lower-spec model if you're stuck for cash. You'll definitely see the difference in stability if nothing else.

Hope it helps. :)

Cheers for the details lads, I havent built a machine in 4/5 months and the Technology changes to fast :ninja: to buy without asking what people think.

I'll be back from sking on the 23rd so I'll probably order around then, will post some specs before I do, have the panels opinion :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

I've 2 corsair XMS3200 512Mb CL2 modules for 150 if u want them :)

Advertisement