Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UT better then Q3? Let the flames commence

Options
  • 12-03-2000 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

read it here.

Personally I don't like Q3, but I think he's wrong in parts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I tried to resist, really I did but..
    Its nearly lag free multiplayer makes it very enjoyable to play

Oh really? Will it some how make a Esat SNL connection playable? Sure, I can run around when I'm lagged in UT but I can't do anything. Like when I run over a gun and thought I've picked it up only I haven't cos I'm lagged and end up shooting the hammer.

Then again UT's weapons are cooler.

But Q3's graphics are better :P

I love both equally (q3 slightly more equally though - it "feels" better)

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

thats written by some bloke who doesnt even play the games, if he does hes so ****e that he spends his time admiring the level details while getting 20fps on an 8mb card and losing 50 nil to everyone

anyway hes getting paid to write that, i dont think i really give a ****e what some bloke who gets paid to write ****e thinks of the two games, i can make up my own mind without help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Personally I don't like Hobbes, but I think he's cute in parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

I thought that waas a sh1te review even tho I agree that UT is better that Q3 smile.gif
    Not by much tho. Railgun claw Q3 into very close contention, so close in fact, that I like and play BOTH games. Yes thats right both! Im not gonna say one is great and the other is sh1t, 'cause face it, they are both fun. tongue.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Spoonman

UT is of course far superior to Q3A That in itself doesnt stop me from playing some Q3A however.

[This message has been edited by Spoonman (edited 13-03-2000).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Badly written sh1t stirring tripe. I am a fan of UT personally, as you all know, but all this guy is trying to do is provoke a reaction. I rate him right up there with Gary Cutlack on Gameplay.com, whose recent diatribes have included "Why Soul Calibur is crap", "Why all journalists everywhere are on the take", and the alltime classic, "Why all people who import anything for their console are all idiots".

It isn't journalism, it's just posturing and trying to be "cutting edge" and "controversial". bah.

Ja,
    Rob

--
    [EED]Shinji -=*=- shinji@electricdeath.com
    Site Editor, http://www.utsystem.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Q3 is more in your face than UT. UT is way better on a modem than Q3. Personally, I dont like Q3 much cos the prediction is all over the shop. Suppose its great crack on a lan or isdn, unfortunately, I have neither so its UT for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

But jeewhizz guyz! Come on, seriously, does no-one else agree that playing UT is like being stuck in, tied in a dark bag and poked with a sharp stick at random intervals? I've played it quite abit. Got it way before Q3A. Does no-one else agree or at least see my point? Whats all the pokeyness about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I prefer q3, but as a (more of less) dedicated ctf player I am forced to play UT, as the q3 ctf maps are really bad, only 3 of them (inc the 3 wave maps) are suitable for league and/or serious play.

UT is the spammyest game ever. I funny understand why dedicated quake ppl dont like it. A lot of the weapons have little or no skill involved, which ruins public server games (in league games it's less so - but we play one league game a week..) The razor jack, shoot 700 of those things around a corner you cant see, shoot 6 rockets at once down a tunnel, that green blobby thing...and so on. There is not a much skill involved, which ruins it on a public server more often than not.

But UT is a better all round game, and more ppl play UT worldwide, q3 is dieing as its boring, same old, no new weaps, or game types or imagination on ID's part!

The OGA/PCG LAN in nottingham next month is the 1st big 'pro' gaming event for big money for UT, IMHO you will see more and more of these, as q3 dies somewhat, and its stranglehold on the pro gaming scene follows that of 'normal gamers' and they simply look to other games!

Look at the leagues in the UK, 80% of teams cannot field full teams for league games. Even my own clan EED struggle to get a full q3 team for some games as no one wants to really play it anymore.

But IMHO q3 is game involving more skill, but all round UT is better!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

I think q3 is better by far. UT does not feel right. You cant have any good rl battles in it for example. The physics are all wrong. UT does have better netcode but if you have a good connection or a lan q3 is just far superior. For example, yesterday, on my modem I got an excellent connection to the demon team dm server in the uk. My ping was between 160 and 230 which was very playable. It was the frist time I have got a good connection online with q3. I think people who are convinced about how much better UT is should give q3 a go on a lan. They will have plenty of opportunity to do this as there will be a big lan at the nethouse in dun laoghaire in the next 3 weeks and another one in the mill in celbridge about another month after that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

For God's sake vagga, try and get through one post without mentioning you're in EED will ya? :P

O.K. El_Pres...

But one last thing. Chubby makes a good point and asks then if it really is that difficult for Quake players to adapt to UT physics. I think, yes, maybe it really is. It feels so wrong. It feels like when you boot up UT someone has shoved a pokey-hand up your **** . It's like an itch. UnrealItch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Well Hobbes wanted flames so this should do it.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by musician:
    Well Hobbes wanted flames so this should do it.

M

Think I could get more if I found a review that said UT was better then QW? wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

ut better than quake3? Tronsor Orc better than Trinsic Wood Elf?? LOLLLLL????

biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

jesus damo never
    not if you have skill level 4 or higher anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Originally posted by Gerry:
    I think q3 is better by far. UT does not feel right. You cant have any good rl battles in it for example. The physics are all wrong.

That same old argument about Quake3 feeling right etc is nonsense. There is nothing wrong with the UT physics, the only reason Quake players find it to be all wrong and doesn't feel right is because they spent the last 4 years playing with Quake and games with the Quake/Quake2 engines. Is adjusting between the 2 different game engines really this difficult?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Guinnessman

it does when walken around a ut level.it feels like u have a 50 stone weight on ur bak plus there is no straff jumpen frown.gif.but in sayen that the weapons are class and i disagree that there all spammen weapons depends on the level.Of course if you got good with the sniper rifle up close u would be unbeatable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Yawn

How many times are we gonna have this conversation. Ppl will play what they want and posting here isnt really gonna make a whole lot of difference to that.

There are very few newbies on these boards so who are yis trying to convince eh? All the people reading this have made up their own minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Jedi

UT is for muppets,

I guarentee even though PS dont even play the game we could rape any Irish UT clan in a game of CTF. Now theres a challenge for next LAN.

Opps did I say that out loud,
    Easy,
    Jedi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Jedi

Just to get things stirred up again. biggrin.gif

Ok Jedi, [DzR] will take you up on that challenge. Soon you shall eat those badly chosen words smile.gif Over the net would be handier for us, but hey, we can annihilate you on a LAN as well if you like :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

/me puts house on DZR

Jedi, I would even be bold enough to counter bet that over 2 games of Team DM, one in Q3 and the other in UT either EED or DZR would beat your ass in a combined score! (as I have no idea how good muso or wwman and the KCD lads are at Q3 I wont speak for them, tho I guess they would be party to the action aswell smile.gif)

Now theres a realistic and good crack set up for the enxt lan!

[This message has been edited by tHE vAGGABOND (edited 14-03-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Right well this q3/ut "grudge match" can be the first event at the big lan in nethouse
    at the end of this month. No excuses of lag and I dont want to hear any chickening out either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Ah good one Jedi, now I'm gonna have to practice UT frown.gif

Anyone wanna give me a copy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Get demos of this if possible.

Jak.

Q3 is painfully unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

hmmm, i might be willing to forgo my usual quiet evening in to go out some friday and teach some q3 muppets to respecy my leet UT skillz wink.gif
    and if i hide well enough in q3 then im sure i could win over a 2 leg match wink.gif

FLAMES?!
    Think I could get more if I found a review that said Bloodskull: Gem of Grondor was better then BS: Princess Pernutia's Quest?

Anyone see the new DungeonCreeper expansion Return To Jugawat's Caverns? Personally I don't like Jugawat, especially seeing as the old DungeonCreeper character sheets don't have an area for Jugawat Soul-Magic points thus ruling out the use of my uber halfling character Klick-klack Gunthord(ambidextrous,ride cart,ep:245,gc:346800,sachel).

"Photoshop is the soil, webdesign is the crop." -- Vorosha
    Click here for - Tony et Gerry

[This message has been edited by Vorosha (edited 14-03-2000).]

lol smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Ah now lads ffs, would ye ever quit this sh1t. Ever since Q2 came out there have been arguements going back and foward about which one was better. Now, just when we hoped that those old arguements had left us forever it has started up all over again between q3 and UT. Cop on lads ta fook. All that it comes down to is a matter of opinion, and insulting each other back and foward only raises tension and gets us nowhere. personally i enjoy both q2 and UT but not enough to play them on a regular basis. No quake3 play gives a toss about how some UT player thinks it sucks, and I really doubt there are any UT players who will stop playing it just because a quake 3 player said it is sh1te. So give it a rest

www.csn.ul.ie/~osiris

Advertisement