Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 -> Vodafone switching with own number

• 12-01-2004 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm about to switch to Vodafone while keeping my 086 number. I'm a pay-later customer.

Has anyone experience of this?
    Anyone had any problems with the switch over?
    How long did it take?
    Anyone bump into billing cock ups?
    Does the change over kick in immediately or do I have to talk to O2 as well as Vodafone?

Related question:
    I have loads of data on my phone memory (Nokia 6100). Whart is the easiest way to port it over to my new phone (6110i)?

Thanks

V

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Ah stress. Just do a search, this has been covered loads of times..

In 99% of ports, there is no problems. There has been no major billing "cock ups" to mention so far either. It can take about 2 hours to go through. Just call into a Vodafone stores and they will do it for you there and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Umm
    I did do a couple of searches before starting this thread, actually, but did not find a useful thread - I must be using the wrong search terms... :confused:

Maybe a useful thread could be stickied if it keeps coming up and non regulars like me wander in here looking for advice. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭oneweb

OK, from personal experience, make sure you:

Have your phone unlocked (Just ring O2, they did it no problem within a few mins over the phone) so you can actually use a Voda sim in the handset,
    Use up all your O2 credit,
    Save numbers from your sim to the phone itself if you can (you get a new sim card),
    Check your voicemail & delete them.
    It takes a few hours to kick in, during which you'll likely be left without any service at all.

Once you've been 'ported', put your new sim in the old phone and copy the numbers from it. (You did get it unlocked, right?)

As for data on the old phone, it might be easier to get the Nokia software & sync it via PC.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I switched from Vodafone to O2 a while ago and didnt have any problems. Got new phone at new connection prices as well from o2. I had service with my Vodafone sim up to when my new o2 sim became activated, which was around 2 hours after filling out all the forms at the shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by vinnyfitz
    Umm
    I did do a couple of searches before starting this thread, actually, but did not find a useful thread - I must be using the wrong search terms... :confused:

they were discussed over in the Wireless forum before this 'spin off' PDA/Mobiles was created

don't worry about the stressed lad, he must not have had his weetabix this morning... show him pictures of a 6600 and i'm sure he'll chill out ;)
    Umm
    Maybe a useful thread could be stickied if it keeps coming up and non regulars like me wander in here looking for advice.

yeah good call - am in the process of building an FAQ list with relevant threads linked off from it - but what with the holidays 'n all it has to yet to be finished :ninja: - i'll make sure porting is included :)

BrianG

• Advertisement

I changed over yesterday and it went swimmingly - Vodafone was live less than 15 minutes after O2 was closed off - maybe less even.

My only gripe now is that the Vodafone website - is incredibly slow! Is this normal?

People should be aware that if you want to go roaming immediately after changing over you must pay a €100 euro deposit. (I guess its the same if you switch the opposite way?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

People should be aware that if you want to go roaming immediately after changing over you must pay a €100 euro deposit. (I guess its the same if you switch the opposite way?)

THIS IS NOT THE CASE. YOU CAN ROAM FROM THE VERY FIRST MOMENT YOU CONNECT. THE 100 APPLIES TO MAKING INTERNATIONAL CALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My only gripe now is that the Vodafone website - is incredibly slow! Is this normal?
    No tis only temporary. The speed has much improved yesterday and today.

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    THIS IS NOT THE CASE. YOU CAN ROAM FROM THE VERY FIRST MOMENT YOU CONNECT. THE 100 APPLIES TO MAKING INTERNATIONAL CALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Me replies meekly:*

Well I was misinformed in the Grafton St store then but presumably ones roaming behaviour is somewhat constrained if one can't make international calls?

One might be able to make local calls but would one be able to phone or text another Irish mobile while abroad if international calls are blocked? Also could one receive calls originating in Ireland?

Advertisement