Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better then Leagues...

Options
  • 10-03-2000 7:59pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

...are ladders.

Spinsol is about to burst forth with a kicking ladder system for the IGN. Multiple games supported, multiple players, logins etc.

Lucutus has been working on it and all will be revealed very very soon. Its rather cool (I had shag all to do with it smile.gif ).

It will be donated to the IGN and might be hosted on the boards server (or perhaps somewhere else)...

Duel ladders, 2 v 2 and even clan ladders are supported, for FPS, RTS, or just about any other game.
    (Amp, GL Minesweeper could be supported!)

They work the usual way of ladders.
    You beat a guy above you, you go up some places (I think its half the difference between the two players). Initially there is a big rush to be king of the castle, eventually it settles down to a pecking order.

We'll be instigating some sort of challenge procedure so you can issue public challenges so people can see if the guy on the top is just refusing to play, and not playing at all for a month or more will see you start to slip down the ratings.

You'll be able to see players past form and wins and losses etc.

Any other features people want to see in there? We're putting finishing touches on this now...

Tom.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Didn't the IGN try something like that ?

Once tribes is listed ! smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

One on one CA ladder ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭H-K

but they always flop.
    ppl have to take inituative ie it dont work :P

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ah but they will if we offer a small prize every month to the top player.

Perhaps a duel between the top two players (featured on Battlegrounds or elsewhere perhaps?). Nothing worth cheating for but it could be good to be in a big FFA of the top 6-10 players or to be in the top two to compete for a small prize once every couple of months (for SC or that).

We'll keep a hall of fame too to show history of being the top each month.

That should keep the interest going.

Any game can be supported, its just piece of text/image in the database...

Anyone got any idea they want to see included (over time, this goes live soon).

Tom.

[This message has been edited by DeVore (edited 10-03-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

o o o o o o o o
    CACACACACACACACACACACACACACACACACACACACACA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAASSSSEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Ye know im good 4 at least no.666!!!
    If I go below that Ill praccy for weeks to be exactly no.666!

I WANT CA PLEEEEEEASE smile.gif

NO?
    ah well.
    twas worth a shot smile.gif

• Advertisement

yeah the old incentives work well but i found a lot of ppl would quit when they realised getting to the top and beatin koopa isnt easy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Half-Life: TFC and CS clans bit? smile.gif

Get to the top?
    And lose your place as number 666???!??
    Why on earth..??

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I sure will be putting CA 1v1 up there.

I dunno about lpb v hpb. I think we should mix them all up and just note the connection speed beside them or something.

Any other requests?

Currently I'm thinking,
    CA 1v1
    CA 2v2
    Q3 1v1
    Q3 Clan War
    Starcraft
    HalfLife TFC Clan War
    UT CTF

Not sure about
    Q2 (is it still busy enough?)
    QW Clan war
    QW 1v1

Anyone got any opinions? Other games you'd like to see supported?

The game needs to be busy enough to keep the ladder interesting, or a game which COULD be busy enough, if people had a reason to play.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

Dev a HL CS one would be better there is more clans for CS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Sounds like a great idea, I'd like to see Q3 1 v 1 and some strategy game, possibly tiberium sun 1v1 or 2v2

Mills

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I will R0><OR 2 da top in GLminesweeper. I will b so high on the ladder I will need O><3g3n!!! ...AND A PARACHUTRE!!!! :EEK

Another great idea lads.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

qw clan war ? hmmmmmmm
    id say habe only one or two so if u do well u get recognition, and say like its not liek the boards where there are 1000 of them and only one used.

very true HK, thats why I'll keep them tight I think.

QW Clan War is a sticky one, I dunno if there would be much point but then if you were to do it, you might find clans getting back into it...

Ok, I'll have another think about that one. Anyone got strong views on it they want to share?

Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

if you build it...they will come.
    personaly they only thing that id be worried about is the updating side of things.
    good idea thou

by the way, is there actually apie somewhere that spinsol dont have a finger in?
    wink.gif

Your Dungeon Is On An Incline.
    Irate Creatures Cannot Play Marbles.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

if there is quakeworld i think you should enforce the use of qizmo, easiest way to start it is to extract qizmo into your quake directory, and use something like:
    "c:\quake\qizmo.exe c:\quake\qwcl.exe" to start qwcl, where "c:\quake" is the path to your quake folder.. this way people can use "f_server" to check for bots, f_skins , etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

The only catch is that I have a little bit of looping code in there that will automatically shoot the string 'Lucutus' or the string 'BiO' to the top of every ladder!

heh heh wink.gif

Weekend Motorcycle Madness!!!

[BiO]Lucutus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

while its a good idea, and to be welcomed, some of the games simply wont have enuf teams/players...

for example who is going to play in the UT CTF one...DZR, KCD....er...mebbe EED (with some anti english hasstle of course smile.gif) and who else....

Mebbe something different like a 2 v 2 ctf league, or whatever, sounds like a laugh!

How many half life TFC clans are there over here, out of intrest, as I do not know.

DO ppl still play starcraft, how long did MP's leage last, how many games were played. And sc is dead now, as far as I can see no one really plays any more.

and how many ppl still would play qw, and how many teams would still play qw....

I dont want to be the voice of doom and gloom just asking a few questions is all? Mebbe we have to be creative initially and not ask ppl to feild big teams and stuff..

a lot will depend on the ping the ign servers can sustain to the UK!

[This message has been edited by tHE vAGGABOND (edited 12-03-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Vagga, we all know that the Irish gaming is dwindling, thats one of the main reasons we need these ladders. People have lost interest because there was nothing to wrk for and they couldnt be bothered trying to organise games themselves. If this ladder idea can be up and running hopefully it will entice ppl back on the net and we may see a resurgance. Fair play to Cloud, DeV, Sloah and the rest for making the effort to try and inject more interest into irish gaming. Wait til this is up and running properly, then we can see what games are and are't being played anymore

www.csn.ul.ie/~osiris

• Advertisement

"DO ppl still play starcraft, how long did MP's leage last, how many games were played. And sc is dead now, as far as I can see no one really plays any more.
    and how many ppl still would play qw"

yes people still play starcraft, and yes a lot of people would still play quakeworld, me included
    id probably have more fun playing quakeworld with 72 fps and a 100 ping than i would playing "halo" or "soldier of fortune" on lan..
    ive seen soldier of fortune, and i thought it smelled bad so i didnt play it for long

QW is still alive. Everyone (almost) who plays Q3 played QW first and quite a few would enter the ladders I rekon.

And minesweep networked? How does that work? Every second turn? Twould be fun I rekon. Wanna game amp? The Very first Ladder challenge! smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Ser

who ever has the lowest ping will win, Zzz

with q3 anyway.

idea wont work i think...

gl

Not everything is about winning, but I understand ping is going to be an issue.

Q3 is very ping oriented, UT much less so SC not at all.

The problem before with ladders is that they are done half hearted. Updates not in real time, no sense of achievement for doing well, few people will to risk their placement just to play someone worse then them. These are things I am going to address.

I think the best way to do it is to reward activity. If you dont play for more then a month, I think you should start to drop places... that way if you are continuously refusing to play people, you will drop down regardless.

We're going to make a push to get more people playing on the IGN servers with instructions for newbies etc, so we'll get a few new players involved.

Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Much as it's cool to see people making a push to organise things here (although it is a shame to see that it's Devore and the Spinsol lads doing the hard work again; seems nobody else is prepared to hold the torch for a bit!?), I am dubious about this. Clan ladders depend on the existence of plenty of clans to keep them going, and that plain isn't found in Ireland in a lot of games. I disagree with Osi's statement that people are all losing interest; people aren't just losing interest in the Irish scene, they're recognising that Irish connects to the UK are now good, and they have a much bigger, more prestigious and more fun clan scene than Ireland could ever hope to have, due to sheer weight of numbers. Between all the Irish UT players that EED, DzR and KCD have, we could almost certainly have an Irish UT league with 6 or 7 small clans in it; or we could do as it is now, and have Irish players and Irish (or semi-Irish) clans doing well for themselves against REAL competition in UK leagues and ladders.

Q2 clans like DzR and HIV and DF used to do this in the UKCCL, and made a good name for themselves there. EM were one of the top Tribes in the UKTL. DzR are undoubtedly one of the best UT clans in the UK, and the EED side which is also a top-notch UT team has 3 Irish members, two of whom are on the first squad. But where are the Irish Q3 squads? Are any of them taking part in UK leagues?

Irish ladders will be a bit of fun. But wouldn't it make more sense to try to make them into UK & Ireland ladders? We're getting internalised and smaller, just as the UK scene is exploding in size. This approach might have been exonerated somewhat when Team.IE went over and won the Nations out of the blue... but anyone expecting to pull another victory like that out of the bag is living in lala-land. And at the end of the day, sorry to all the QW-ers and ex QW-ers, but the ongoing sportsmanship of DzR, HIV, DF and EM in the UK did a million times more for the long-term profile of Irish gaming than Team.IE's one win ever did.

(This turned into a rant longer than I intended, and strayed off the point a bit. I wish the best of luck to the IGN leagues; but I do think that there are a lot of people here who need to look at the bigger picture if they want Irish gaming taken seriously.)

Ja,
    Rob

--
    [EED]Shinji -=*=- shinji@electricdeath.com
    Site Editor, http://www.utsystem.co.uk

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Some good ideas and work going on here. I applaud the ladder and hope it is successful but someone hit the nail on the head when they said something about people getting bored being beaten by Koopa. In other words there will always be a small core who rise to the top. Is this good or bad? I don't know but I'm actually favoring the clan ethic for the first time in years and I agree with Shinji in alot of what he's saying. I've been slagging Q3 for a while now but it's only been tongue in cheek. I think we should avoid any discussion on the 'Which game is better?' issue and get playing. A very good point that about the Irish Q3 clans - Why aren't they involved in the UK leagues? They aren't taking away from the Irish scene but adding to it.
    On another note why not take the initiative on the International scene and organise International games now. We could initiative a 5 nation compo for both games. Why wait for England to do it? O.k. maybe they have better facilities but hey it's just a thought.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

HIV are in a uk q3 league, and so are KCD and DF (I think). And good luck to them cos q3 could suck a golfball through a garden hose, its that bad smile.gif

As for EM's 'sportsmanship', weren't they like the mosted hated clan in the UK Tribes scene as per yer own admission to me in the pub Shinji? Windups and all are fair enough, but you said yourself they were despised - doesnt sound all that sporting to me :P

Some good points raised there tho - but as for a small core rising to the top, that's bound to happen cos naturally some people are better than others. With a 'lose rating for no games' system, they will have to keep up a high standard to stay there, but I couldnt see Koopa, for example, being very put out at having to play two or three games of QW a month smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Castor Troy (edited 13-03-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

lol
    oh conor, what did they do to you?
    smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Yep, a lot of the UK Tribes really detested EM, mainly because they didn't understand the concept of "sarcasm" and "extracting the urine". Tribes was (and still is) a bit like that... Oh, and they didn't like the idea of an Irish Tribe winning the UK Tribes League either! biggrin.gif

However, although the UK Tribes had a go at us, the fact is the EM was a very well known team, that ex-EM members still get along very well with other people from the Tribes scene... and that while everyone was throwing flak at us towards the end of the UKTL season 2, half the UK had applied to join us by that stage on the quiet....!

So KCD, DF and HIV are in the UK Q3 leagues... Fair play lads. But doesn't this smack a bit of the ex-Q2 people (yes, I know KCD is about half-and-half or something) taking the initiative to get up and go playing abroad - AGAIN? Where are our celebrated QW clans and players? Are they afraid that if they played in the UK they'd have to face real competition at Q3, rather than running around playing the same half-a$$ed Irish clans every week? (/sh1tstir)

Ja,
    Rob

--
    [EED]Shinji -=*=- shinji@electricdeath.com
    Site Editor, http://www.utsystem.co.uk

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement