Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better then Leagues...

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Who said these would be Irish only, I think it would be kewl to have other players and other clans in them too.

Also, one thought I have had is that we should have two ladders for some games.
    Perhaps called "Fun" and "Profit".
    "Fun" is for messers and people who just want to knock about.
    "Profit" would be for those who want to win.
    You could enter either or both.

Or else we have a div1/2 or pro/am and promote and demote people? or this might be just too complex...

/me will think about it.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

These ladder things require beaten-players to register their loss, do they not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭creative

Sounds good Tom

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

There are two other ways, both with their problems:

1. Record scores from certain servers automatically (impractical, unworkable and somewhat undesirable)

2. Have the winners record their victory. You would presume that the winners would be only too happy to record their win, but this could be abused by people recording wins that never happened... That would become obvious to us very quickly (say if the person just boots up to the top of the ladder with 15 consecutive wins against Ser and Koopa) we'll just delete the account, but it hard to control too...

This is something we will have to think about...
    Anyone got any strong views on this?

Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

"Where are our celebrated QW clans and players? Are they afraid that if they played in the UK they'd have to face real competition at Q3"

Shinji, PS have beaten both KCD and HIV easily. We arent afraid of the UK in the slightest but nothing is more annoying then being beaten because of ping and despite what anyone says the pings to UK are just not good eneogh to let you play competively (on modem anyway)

I really look forward to the day when PS have 4 lpbs because I reckon we could take most English clans to school. I'm not being big headed its just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Jedi

Thats it i'm getting ISDN. I fed up with this ****e ping. Just rang too late to turn back now.

Jedi (hehe)

God please let surf no limits come in quick or else I'll be ****ing broke. smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Dev there's no solution right now. However when Orange Smoothie get their ngWorldStats implementation for Q3 done, all will be well.

Currently UT supports this out of the box, it's the best solution to insuring that games that have been registered on the system actually took place as described.

In fact, all the winner/loser would have to do is paste the URL of the ngWorldStats match record into a field in the system, and your code could extract all the necessary data itself (who played, who won, what the score was etc etc).

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Anyone else interested in an AOE2 ladder? It's better than Starcraft in a lot of ways and more strategy is involved than by just doing a zergling rush to win. Reply back if you are interested and maybe a 1v1 or 2v2 ladder can be started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

El_Pres...

Yup, PS have beaten HIV and KCD... Se7en have been kicking other clans over here around the shop as well.. But yet it's HIV and KCD who are playing in UK leagues, and the likes of PS and Se7en seem to be doing nothing but talk up a storm about how they're better than UK sides. There's something wrong with that equation, don't you think?

I see your point about pings, but in all fairness, it doesn't apply half as much now as it used to. Only 5 minutes ago in #quake.ie Butcher mentioned that dialling ocean gets 120-150 pings to UK servers off a Pace 56k... is that really so bad?

Ja,
    Rob

--
    [EED]Shinji -=*=- shinji@electricdeath.com
    Site Editor, http://www.utsystem.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

shinji in q3 clan wars especially, ping makes a huge difference as machinegun is the most used weapon, which is **** hard to aim on modem

its just like in quakeworld clan wars, modem wars meant nothing because on lan shotgun rushes totally changed tactics.. on modem whatever team got "into position" first had practically won the game, while on lan games could go very differently

most of the q3 players that i know just prefer playing on lan for one day to figure out tactics rather than playing modem with 200 ping for a week.. modem wrecks your tactics for lan, it doesnt matter who your opponent is..

• Advertisement

... which would be a great argument, Sam, except that I don't see you lot getting your a$$es over to LANs in the UK either.

Oh, and Blokey (who won the CPL qualifier in TPF a few weeks back) is a modem player. Doesn't seem to have wrecked his LAN play.

Ja,
    Rob

--

[This message has been edited by Shinji (edited 13-03-2000).]

By the way, Tom, I think the ladder is a fantastic idea. I think it'd definately generate alot more enthusiasum etc. Especially if Hecate's info could be implemented. The only worry I'd have would be one I adopted after playing Warcraft2 ladders on me old Mac. 50% of the time you'd play someone who wouldn't register the result. It just ruined the whole thing for everyone. Then again, better off with a ladder than without.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

are you saying koopa that 3 or 4 hours on a lan is better than 3 hours a night over 5 days...

I have to disagree, tho I freely admit koops you have played more quake than I prolly ever will.

And Blokey from UNR was the best player in q2 in the UK and is the best q3 player in the UK, winning the CPL qualifier easily if the truth be told. And is a modemer who plays with a 150-200 ping every night.

Hardcore modem players need to be that bit more tactically aware, it should not take them ages to ajust to a low ping, that is whey there is normally at least half a day warm up to big tourneys.

While I admit we are all not blokeys, I do feel the modem arguement is blowen out of proportion. It may well have been qw problem, as I did not play qw I dont know, all I know is that its not a massive problem in q3 and ut.

Modems do indeed suck compared to digital connects, no one doubts that, but you can tweak to **** www.lagless.com and try different ISP's.

Shinji

Your right, I dont think there has been any major anount of Irish players going to a British LAN since Rapture (*snigger*)

But maybe it could work the other way round...

Prehaps some British players would consider coming to one of our LANs?

Maybe even the MIGHTY EED?

They could give us a good wh00ping and shut us up eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

ok ive nothing against blokey, but thats just the cpl qualifiers.. itll be interesting to see how he does against the likes of kane, timber, etc. actually in the cpl..
    also, how much lan does blokey play??

vaggabond i didnt mean 3-4 hours, one day of lan would be around 8-10 hours.. id say you'd get better at lan games after playing 8 hours of lan duelling than 4 hours daily on modem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

I think el pres and shinji should have a duel
    in doom2 on the first level. On second thoughts, its probably too much like quake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Yes Chubby, I am.

No Chubby, I'm not. rolleyes.gif

El Pres:

It'll happen, and soon enough. EED have been talking about coming over for a long while (it's just a matter of them getting their a$$es in gear); other clans may well come over as well, if a large and prestigious enough event were organised... and a large and prestigious enough event will be/is being organised... smile.gif

However, lets face it, the UK clans all coming over here to face the Irish is kinda a case of the Mountain coming to Moses, isn't it? After all, other than Rapture, Ireland has no reputation whatsoever in Quake. You might as well tell the top UK clans to go play in Azerbaijhan because they have some l33t teams, honest...

Until Irish gamers get more seriously involved in UK/Euro Leagues, Ladders and Lans, Irish gaming will not be taken seriously.

Ja,
    Rob

--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭DEATH

Well Mr Koopa I Propose that you the "said" mr "koopa" should retire to your susposed hidden "secret" lair to plot and perhaps even "plan" certain said events to perhaps "construct" a better "said" course of action and perhaps "arguement" but with that said i believe that your "said" points in previous "posts" would perhaps prove to be a better basis for your "said" previous statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

man i must have had my head stuck in a hub , this is ****ing class tom ( and whoever is involved with it ). it WILL promote play , and if u dont play for a while u have the fun of climbing all over again. the prizes are also a *****in idea. btw sam is not invincible he can have bad days and im not forgetting u ser u muppet smile.gif. im up for it anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

An idea to avoid ppl making up winning results on the ladder:

Its very easy for both players to send a short email with simply the time and opponent. Both players send a mail to a certain account. Because of the numbers of games you wouldnt check this account unless there was some dispute. It would be ez then to verify that the match took place, if say the mail topic was the 2 players names.
    Maybe this is a stupid idea, perhaps not viable.
    /me shrugs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

This is good reading, keep it up biggrin.gif

www.gibworld.com/chaos
    Ps 0wns U

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Shinji, you're wasted here, get into politics. wink.gif

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

or maybe you could et someone to admin a game?
    anywaym shinji is a cow in disguise adn doesnt even have 4 udders....
    and he fancies the red laughing cow from that stupid dairylee or whatever comercial
    maybe some serious thought should be put into holding a '5 nations' lan over here.
    q3 and ut at once, same venue, same time, same bat channel?
    it would have to be a very big venue though like the RDS main hall or something. but man, it would be a blast to help organise that.
    we have the man power.
    we have the promoters
    we have the pulling power
    and we have the quakeworld 5nations title belt dangle as bait wink.gif

Shinji

Excellent... I look forward to seeing it happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

Playing over the net consistantly over time makes you a much better player on whatever medium you're connecting with. The Uk is now open to Irish players LPB and HPB alike. There's no doubt in my mind that quake3 is a total lpbs game, i'm lucky enough to be one myself but i've found that the UK quake2/quake3 leagues have been the most rewarding leagues i've ever played in, and leagues like the ukccl make any league that was ever created in this country look like a farce.
    Join a Uk clan, get your team to play in the uk, it's fun whether you're hpb or lpb, fun, fun. Yes it's ****e for hpbs, and Blokey is nothing on a modem compared to what he is on a lan, but in the UNR v SS games i've played in he's held up to any lpb i've seen but to my knowledge is literally the only hpb good enough to play in the division 1 lpb league. That shouldn't stop people when there's fun n games to be had, it doesn't stop one of the uk's best players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

"... which would be a great argument, Sam, except that I don't see you lot getting your a$$es over to LANs in the UK either.
    Oh, and Blokey (who won the CPL qualifier in TPF a few weeks back) is a modem player. Doesn't seem to have wrecked his LAN play."

Modem in q1 and q3 wrecks LAN play, UT is different.

Blokey is a Q3 player. He plays for UNR. The CPL is a Q3 competition. Sorry, what was that about UT?

Did some tests this evening... buyandsell.net dialup gives me 40 pings to Gameplay.com servers on ISDN, 90-ish on modem.

Ja,
    Rob

--

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

Is that the best you can do? Well Koopa is a MODEMer and I'm sure he's won a hell of a lot more competitions than Blokey has (France, Scotland, Northern Ireland etc) ...and hes ****ing saying LAN is better than MODEM.....so I think I'd listen to him before I'd listen to your ****e.

Oh eh... smile.gif)))

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement