Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better then Leagues...

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The beaten player should register their loss, the winning player will (presumably) be waiting to see their victory recorded (and their change in rank).
    This is one area where a dim view will be taken of non-input or claims "it wasnt a ladder game". Any of that monkeying about and the person will just be excluded from the ladders.

Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Bunny,

Koopa plays qw, and is a damn fine qw player everyone in the world agree's. He has taken part in server big tourneys, but alas failed to get the chance to play in the really big tourneys for the big money where some people think he would have done well. I have no idea if he ever played the likes of Death Row, CLan 9 or Demonic Core or any of that lot. To the bes tof my knowledge he has not begun playing q3 seriously yet (if he is going to)

Blokey used to play q2, for UNR and the UK team and now plays q3 professionally, for UNR, and still has not gone to ISDN (tho its on the way, roumer says!). He is off to play in the next big pro gaming event against the likes of Hakeem, Timber etc etc.

They play differnet games. Both top players in their respective games.

Now lets get back on to the fight in question and off how l33t blokey is. Some people think your LAN aim is affected by modem play and some disgree. I dont think either side is going to convince the other.

We were supposed to be discussing Ladders are we not?

Roll on another attempt to get some life and activity into this community, for lots of games, not just the various flavours of quake

[This message has been edited by tHE vAGGABOND (edited 14-03-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

nice one bunnors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

Is there any possible way to block this muppet-avenue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Ser

lol?

man, blokey has been playing longer then me, and much more.

best in UK?
    timber is for sure the best player to be living in UK at the moment...Zzz

some of you ppl know 0 about anythink.

• Advertisement

shinjip, u talk the biggest **** ever

the comment u about these clans (whos names i forgoten againt alredy) have done more then team ie?

lol?

team ie was known all over the world for the win at rapture.

every QW player over the world, saw the demos, and team ie players are very well known.

i agree with koopa, maybe reform the team.

we only suck now due to having modems. i dotn play modem, havnt even tryd it once in quake3. ever. but still im a member of the best pro-quake3 clan in europe?

nuff said...

gg, pld?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

vaggabond most of the top QW players in the world were at rapture, clan 9, sk,and Z all had members there
    team ie even played team europe twice i think, we beat them one game and lost one..

the americans pulled out of the duels totally after being destroyed by kane in friendlies, so i dont think clan deathrow were really in the league, and clan demonic core??

[This message has been edited by Koopa (edited 14-03-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

Playing on a MODEM screws up your LAN play. This is true for Quakeworld and Quake3. However I dont know if its true for UNREAL TOURNAMENT..........OKAY?

The real reason the Irish gaming scene is ****e is because we are too scared to play on english servers, isn't that right Shinji?

[This message has been edited by Bunny (edited 14-03-2000).]

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ah Buyandsell.net... I wondered when they'd raise their heads in this argument...

God wouldnt it be nice to go over to the UK again and kick ass at a Q3 event...

DeVore.
    ps: I've solved the problem, when you register for a ladder the email you give will be emailed when a game is recorded involving you. Everyone is kept up to date that way and can raise objections accordingly. I like Sonics idea too and might ask people to to do that too if things get sticky (how did we get onto this topic from "ladders")

just noticed something..

"Some people think your LAN aim is affected by modem play and some disgree. "

i didnt say lan AIM, i said it messed up your tactics, what you expect the opponent to do, what weapons to go for, etc.. the whole game is based on this, whether youre duelling or playing wars.. on modem armour is worth something, on lan armour is worth a lot less, especially vs a good player

although it probably does take a few games of lan before your aim is at 100% after playing a lot of modem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Right...

Beast
    Jedi
    MindPhuck
    Sickboy

I suggest 7 and PS, I suggest 7 and PS form an lpb team between them and go play in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Predator

well i better add my two bits.
    Roite modem play does affect yer lan play
    i have been playin q3 on modem since it came out and had my first taste of lan q3 at trinlan and boy did i suck. I got raped , even by the ppl that i bet(if u can follow me:P)Its a lot different on modem u have to aim a bit ahead of where ull think theyll be specially with shotgun and i wasnt expecting what i got on lan.
    Also maybe irish gaming would take off like in england and other countries when we get sponsership so some company will pay for isdn or cable and help pay for big events ? have ye taught about that ? all those big lans in far off lands are sponsered.
    While we have to rely on ppls houses and have difficulties tryin to rent out halls for 24hrs.
    Also dev good luck with yer ladders but oi reckon they wont really take off.:/ Lpbs will dominate and ppl a) prolly dont care and b)prolly dont have time :/
    we all remeber the last ladder ppl took part for a bit and then it died.
    G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I'm not going to argue the "modem spoils your LAN play" thing any more. I'm not a particularly good player myself, and I'm merely going on hearsay from people who are top Q3 players. Nobody said they weren't DIFFERENT play styles, btw, just that they were complementary rather than conflicting play styles.

Ser : the Team.IE thing at Rapture was a single, isolated event, and it's about the ONLY thing that Irish QW ever did on the international front. It's worth remembering that the QW scene, especially by that point, was a small subset of the wider gaming scene. The clans I mentioned (whose names you have forgotten already) play/played Q2, Tribes and UT, on an ongoing basis, in UK leagues and ladders. EM and the now ex-EM contingent show regularly for UK LAN meets. I can guarantee you that overall, these clans have done more for the profile of this country in gaming than Irish QW, arguably the game we were strongest at, has ever done. It would help a LOT if you started thinking outside the QW box. This "go over play one tournament and be kings of the world" mentality has got to go.

I like that idea of putting together an LPB team from PS and Se7en to play in the UK. OK, so it isn't exactly in keeping with the spirit of the thing - I do believe that all Irish clans should be playing abroad, not just a select all-star squad - but it's certainly a start.

Ja,
    Rob

--
    [EED]Shinji -=*=- shinji@electricdeath.com
    Site Editor, http://www.utsystem.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

The only reason why Se7en are not in the UK leagues is because we missed our boats and we were too busy concentrating on the Irish scene.

Also, to point something else out, Se7en have 5 lpbs and a possible 6 with Mickah coming back to play for us. This gives us no problems whatsoever fielding a team to the uk or anywhere. Im just waiting for the
    next seasons to start.

Maybe if the other teams who are playing 'internationally' would concentrate on the home grown scene, they wouldnt have got their asses owned so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Strange that my name was mentioned in that team.

Jimmy...

thats good news MP, it will only be good for Irish gaming in general if you, and others like you play at a higher lever, like Irish rugby players plaing for the provinces in the european cup and Irish soccer players playing for man u and not shelbourne. Play at a higher level and you and your peers will improve. That is my point, not saying you are some way inferior or ****e at quake, but you can get better playing at a higher standard week in and week out (no offence to the teams in the IQCL)

Ser, I accept many of your points, but timber (and indeed sujoy) does not play in UK leagues as far as I know, but with clan 9. The lads we mention play in leagues and stuf every night.

re: rapture - a great win, no one will argue with that, But you have to admit that no one out side of ireland expected team IE to win b4 the event, I remember reading eurogamer and it saying we were outsiders as they really knew nowt about most of the team bar you, as you played for clan UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭creative

I think there is nothing to improve you LAN tactics/skils/aim, than argueing the point back and forth on the boards. l33t discussion skills ya'll!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ahh creative, you get killed if you type to much in a game.
    they should all have their binds with this discusion in it and see who gets bored first.
    they could all talk the tactics instead of playing and then wed see who wins, depending if its modem player or an isdn player.
    i bet the isdn player would win every time coz he can get replies in faster.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

I do think Jaden should get his ass over to the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

This muppet wrote:
    "the Team.IE thing at Rapture was a single, isolated event, and it's about the ONLY thing that Irish QW ever did on the international front."

Hibs played in the first 5 nations event and played top english clans. Team.ie went to Northern Ireland Twice, won both times. Went to France (got coverage on radio, newspapers, just about every major quake page) We won Rapture with 2 modemers and 2 people who didnt have computers.

" It's worth remembering that the QW scene, especially by that point, was a small subset of the wider gaming scene."

Without the Irish Quake Scene, there'd be no boards, no big lans, no decently large skilled playerbase, no big pub meets, no general organisation, no international team....THERE'D BE NO ****ING SCENE IN THIS COUNTRY TO EVEN START WITH.

"The clans I mentioned (whose names you have forgotten already) play/played Q2, Tribes and UT, on an ongoing basis, in UK leagues and ladders. EM and the now ex-EM contingent show regularly for UK LAN meets."

Members of CT, nD, GI, INC, etc have been playing on foreign servers for years, on an ongoing basis, joining many top foreign clans. Irish CA players are some of the best in the world. Koopa is one of the best known duellers in England. Ser is one of the best known War players in the world. etc etc

"I can guarantee you that overall, these clans have done more for the profile of this country in gaming than Irish QW, arguably the game we were strongest at, has ever done. It would help a LOT if you started thinking outside the QW box. This "go over play one tournament and be kings of the world" mentality has got to go.""

Shinji, this "we play some mickeymouse modem games in the UK and we don't come last, we must be the kings of the world" mentality has to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Is this, that thread on the boards where there's a misunderstanding?

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

pld

we play some mickeymouse modem games in the UK

Quake 2, Tribes and UT can hardly be considered mickey mouse in all fairness! Far from it IMHO but thats me!

Bunny, I take many of your points to, and while I might not agree 100% with them I do see where you are coming from.

Lets move this on, and focus on the ladders, we could argue about this forver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

hey vagga ye missed mentionin eed there

****, I did did'nt I

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Right, Bunny, before you flip your lid and start just trading silly insults... (ok, you've already started, but hey)... I am *not* trying to urinate on Team.IEs achievements from a height. What the Team did was mightily impressive, especially Tom's managing to organise them to do it!

However, it was not an achievement over a prolonged length of time; and since Rapture, all of the people involved seem to have been content to sit back on their laurels all nice and smug and consider their international reputation made.

Balls to that.

Do a straw poll in #barrysworld on Quakenet, a channel full of hardcore gamers, and out of all the people there, only Bigfoot knew who had even won the last 5 Nations. After telling everyone it was Team.IE, ask who was on the team. Response... "Ummmmm, Devore?" from a few people (Bigfoot knew all the lads tho). I asked a couple of UK based PC games journalists (who do actively cover FPS games, before you whinge - and these people do represent the opinions and knowledge base of most "joe punter" pc gamers) and the most common response I got was "Uuuuh what's Rapture '99?".

So you went to Belfast (all of what, 100 miles up the N1?) twice, and layed 0wnerage. Well done. You went to France, and Koopa won a few duels against top players there. That again was a hell of an achievement. Rapture was the crowning glory, even if it was a bit late in QWs day. But the fact is, those are the achievements of the ENTIRE IRISH SCENE since it's inception when Q1 was launched! When you consider how many years that is, it doesn't look like much, to be honest.

That's because of the lack of consistent involvement by Irish players on the International scene. Irish Quake players instead choose to battle each other constantly, an small pool of players, and occasionally leave the island, go off and win/lose a game somewhere, cause a minor ripple, and then come back home for another 9 months until Devore (inevitably Devore because he's the only one with the enthusiasm and the patience to organise it) arranges for everyone to go off again and for Ireland to pop up briefly on the world map once more.

Now, that list would look a hell of a lot better if you could say, Well, we won the Five Nations, but INC also won the UKCL, and DK were runners up in whatever, and an Irish side laid waste to the opposition at Fusion, and the Irish duellers came out top at i2... Do you see what I'm getting at here? Is this sinking in? Or am I just talking to a brick wall that's stuck back in the QW internalising mentality?

You're losing the head over how there'd be no scene without the QuakeWorld crowd. Uhhh. DUH! QuakeWorld came FIRST, (hence the "2" in Quake2) so it's only natural that that scene established itself. But do you honestly have the arrogance to think that had there been no QW scene worth talking about here, Irish Q2, Tribes, Q3 and UT players would never have sorted out clans, LANs, drinking sessions, leagues...?
    Irish CA players are some of the best in the world.

... But who knows that? Anyone? Anyone at all outside of this island?

You mention CT, nD, GI, INC etc. How well known are these clans in the UK? Are they anywhere near as well known, outside of the uber-uber-hardcore QW contingent (all 3 of them), as the likes of HIV, DzR and EM? I very much doubt it...
    Shinji, this "we play some mickeymouse modem games in the UK and we don't come last, we must be the kings of the world" mentality has to go.

EED has a large Irish contingent, and is considered one of the top clans in the UK at Q3 and UT. DzR are almost entirely Irish and they are probably the best UT clan in Europe. HIV are currently ranked 4th in the UK in the (still very active) Q2 scene. EM were one of the top 2 Tribes in the UK.

You were saying? If you want to call that "not coming last in a few mickeymouse modem games", then you're only displaying childishness and ignorance.

I didn't set out to attack anyone with this, merely to suggest that Irish Q3 players should look at the bigger picture and start competing to make a name for themselves and for the gaming scene in this country. Seems there are a few sacred cows that need to be slaughtered along the way - although the positive responses from El_Pres and Mindphuck, who are probably among the most active Q3 players in the country right now, are really encouraging. It'll be great to see Irish teams as strong as Se7en, and hopefully a PS LPB side (you never know) playing in the UK and carrying the Irish flag high next season.

Ja,
    Rob

--
    [EED]Shinji -=*=- shinji@electricdeath.com
    Site Editor, http://www.utsystem.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

My fingers would be very tired after all that. So would my eyes so i sidnt read.

So we are going to have ladders then? Kewl!

ok, i dont think you know all the facts here, maybe because we didnt think it was a big enough deal to go mentioning to everyone.. but bunny was in UK clan CP, von was in CP, in fact half of CW were in CP(actually i think blokey was in CP too), ser played for 4K, i played for 4K, pred played for 4K, just to name a few

as for "hardcore" players, i would never have heard of eed if it wasnt for you, naturally as i didnt play the same game as them.. actually if it came to that, id say very few non-QW people would even know about clan [9] if they hadnt taken up quake3, i doubt many magazine writer types would even have a clue what the red annihilation tournament was, who came second in it, and they probably wouldnt know who kane or lakerman or timber were except for the fact that they play q3..

on the other hand, ask timber who won the 4nations, ask thresh who came second at red annihilation, and ask lakerman who kane is.. im sure they wont have any trouble answering those questions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭H-K

ok i wasnt gonan say nethin, but i read shinji's thing there:

Ive heard of EEM HIV whoever, cos all i ever read on the board is HIV this EM that well rape ye this etc etc and names beign dropped everywhere.D-K would say nothing on the boards for the most part...

Ya shouldnt go on saying we never played in England when we DID. DK actually played more international Quake than any clan to date, we used to play 4K, KOD, HC, lots of others, including DC and the rest.On a regular basis.

Whats more, we actually WON the first season of the UKPL, u mightnt thing much of it, but its the only league we entered where we had relatively equal connects.
    Thats not to mention Lorcan, who played with HC for many seasons, pred played for 4k in his hay day, i played for some uk clans.

We actually knew a lot of the CP HC etc lads quite well, but no one has a clue what we were up to, exactly how many people on the boards could give me information on say DTX or WZ, even tho they played all the time and had some class players.

Also, Davey, along with Lorcan raped many good english clans with their 100 average pings...they werent like big shot lan winning players or big money nerds, we were just like an english clan, playing english competition.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement