Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better then Leagues...

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I played on topsid once.
    if thats any consellation.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

omg I actually agree with H_K.
    I'm going to have to go lie down.

I dont agree with some of the points being made here, but **** it, I'm nearly at the Blade level of posts on the new boards!

mmm may post more when not drunk.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

But what are you doing to the Irish Gaming Profile abroad? You suck!...look just change your nick or something....maybe try binding keys to weapons...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Bunny, I await with great anxiousness the next wonderfully structured and well thought-out argument that you present.

H-K : I'm glad to hear that DK played in the UK; it's something I didn't know before. Then again, I don't see why you seem to be criticising other clans for making a song and dance about their accomplishments in the UK - surely if you do something well, you are entitled to tell people? If DK do well, they should tell people about their success, rather than keeping all quiet about it. What's the point in having all the instruments if you don't make any noise?

Ja,
    Rob

--
    [EED]Shinji -=*=- shinji@electricdeath.com
    Site Editor, http://www.utsystem.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

U is being a toTAL f00l!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

Shinji, I dont need a well thought out structured argument....you're just wrong, but listen...its okay, you're new, people make mistakes, I pardon you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

oh yeah, as for QW players not playing on far servers, i remember a certain ldc-slaanesh playing a certain well known australian player on an australian server in ROCKET ARENA(!!) with a 650 ping, and BEATING him.. like that was impressive

and playing and LOSING games doesnt get your name well known, i remember going down to limerick last year and playing against clan [9] off a college connect and getting 100-300 ping to sweden, mostly 300, against clan 9 who were all on 13 ping maximum, i dont think anyone will remember that.. "wow look that clan, theyre the ones who played clan 9 with 300 ping and lost 200 nil or something"

its a waste of time playing serious games like that on **** connects, those games mean nothing, theyre no use as "practice", so you may as well have some fun playing lan with some friends instead or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

Team IE not playing much after rapture has nothing to do with "being smug or resting on laurels". More to do with Rapture being the final QW lan in the UK. Most top UK players (aerotus, caustic, treznor etc) stopped playing QW after it.

This was the team's status after the lan.

Beast - No computer
    Von - Broken computer
    Koopa - College, rubbish connect
    Bunny - No computer
    Ser - No connect
    Tomb - Stopped playing for college

Why go home and play on modems with 200 pings and lose 300 nil to people we beat on LAN. The one thing that made me lose motivation for playing on modem was finding out that many supposedly top class players were actually not very good on LAN and clearly relied on having a faster pc, lower ping and bigger ego than everyone else while playing online. I now spend more time in the pub til I get a good pc.

We recorded no demos (1 or 2 at most) at rapture cos we are not interested in posting them all over the place, a la Sujoy or someone, to try make the team look l33t. Maybe we're too smug to post demos. Except Ser.

Shinji is a games journalist allegedly, so why wasn't he at the biggest LAN event of last year in Britain? Eh? Or at Trinlan?

His pig ignorance of the competitive gaming scene is alarming, all things considered. How many other national teams or clans travelled abroad to play without being paid to do so? While every team we played could sit in their rooms and practice every night with 30 pings, we had to cart pc's all over the country for a few hours lan praccy and organize everything weeks in advance. He has no idea how hard it is to get such a bunch of wasters as team ie organized enough to go to another country to play a game. He can ask Dev what it was like.

Off topic or wha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Poor Blade must be shaking, his record post count looks like its gonna be beaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

I think maybe it's time for us all to go and live in England. You big ****, you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 EED_l33t35t

Hi, My is EED_l33t35t, if you havent heard of me you MUST be crap. Bu teven the lamest of you will however have heard of my clan...EED. My other clan members go on about it a lot too.

Bunny...Koopa....never heard of you....you must be crap....stupid Irish players with a stupid irish mentality......when will you ever realise that you're nobody till you play with a crap connection to england everyday ......and if your nice to me i could organise a few trials to my clan.....BTW thats EED for those in the cheap seats. Dont know if you'll cut the grade though. And what about this beast fella....if that is his real name. Id' beat him with keys only!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

To quote shinji
    Irish Quake players instead choose to battle each other constantly, a small pool of players

funnily enough, thats why the standard of qw & q2 was higher in ireland, as there was a small bunch of fanatics and not too many poor players around. if you are continually playing against good players, it improves your gameplay. thats on an individual level, for clans, you need to play against as many different clans as possible.

i've no doubt that with q3/ut it'll b the same, with cheap installs for isdn (and i think dsl is just around the corner atm, will know more next week) the number of lpb's in ireland will greatly increase. we've the choice of numerous isp's to get good cons to the uk and europe, there are no excuses anymore. yes sometimes you will lose games due to a dodgy nite of uk-ie cons, but thats life.

and shinji, DK have achieved more than any other irish clan in the uk, they were the first clan to win something and at the moment, the only clan to win something. DzR look like they'll soon change that with the way they are playing in the UT leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Okay, I'm tired of clicking through 3 pages of irrelevent posts...starting a new topic, 'Ladder Suggestions', maybe this time postings will keep to it.

Does anyone actually have any suggestions for the implementation of this ladder site section? I'd prefer some input from ALL of you people before I release it from my puter, rather than no-one having any input, (that would hardly be fair now, would it? *smile*).

Ta...

Lucutus of Borg

[This message has been edited by Lucutus (edited 15-03-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I must say I find this whole thread quite the laugh, quite the battle of the egos.
    As someone who playing none of the quake games, I can safely tell you that you're all completely unknown outside of you respective little ponds. Few people outside of quake will have ever heard of HIV, DZR, EED, CW, 4K, KOD, HC, etc etc, at least almost no-one I’ve ever talked to has.
    And that I would say the majority of online players aren’t that interested in knowing you either.

Cop yourselves on people.

Now I must go sharpen my Headmucher Axe of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Mister 'EED_l33t35t'

Say what you want to say, and dont be so lame and hide behind an alias.

Rev - very true, outside of the quake community no one knows even what goes on, and would not know thresh if he bit them in the nose! Most ppl here would not know what all these punters like Doomer and Lakerman and all them even look like (cept if you met them at rapture or some event or another)

Can I ask again that we all grow up and move on! QW is in the past, sorry, but it is! So lets stop fighting over how l33t something a year, 2 years and older are..

Time to move on...to ladders maybe!

[This message has been edited by tHE vAGGABOND (edited 15-03-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Logged in #Quake.ie, about 10 minutes ago:

<Shinji> Only if I can get moderator privs, and get to edit all Bunny's posts to say "I am a llama. I am a llama.

There we have impartial journalism.....

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

I'm sure Irish players would play in the U.K. if they wanted to. I don't see anything stopping them. What's this all about? Are EEM that old Q2 clan? They aren't that well know are they? I thought they quit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

This is getting a bit silly.

Dev, I just realised I never responded about the ladder idea.

I think its a great idea and will be playing in it from day 1. Also sorry for my part in derailing your post smile.gif

El

Von: Your arrogance is quite amazing. You assume vast importance for Rapture (FYI, I did give that victory considerable coverage in the various mags I work for) when in fact, it was pretty much the last gasp of the near-dead QW scene. You trying to fling muck at me as a journalist because I wasn't present at an event which was only of interest to a very small minority of people in the first place just indicates that you are very, very out of touch with reality when it comes to what is and isn't big in the gaming scene. Then again, you're not alone in that amongst the people arguing here - a lot of whom (and you know who you are) didn't know who Blokey (winner of the UK CPL qualifier, much to XSReality's dismay - they had tagged ex-QW people to win, when in fact the top 3 places went to ex-Q2 players Blokey, Luke and Billox) was, didn't believe that the Barrysworld dialup was down...

Rev. Hellfire raises the point that very few people outside the Quake/UT communities know of these clans and people at all. This is my point exactly - that is about to change. Mainstream games magazines are starting to get wise to regular coverage of online gaming, focusing on the key players and teams. GamePlay.Com (recently valued at over half a billion pounds, by the way) is working on a deal with Sky to broadcast important games and events live, possibly on Sky Digital. The prize money is getting bigger, the stakes are getting higher, and Irish players should be in on the ground floor if they're really as good as we all seem to think.

Ja,
    Rob

--

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

mebbe it wound be better if this whole thread was deleted, as its getting silly now with ppl reporting what ppl say on IRC, we all could spy on everyone on IRC and post ****e comments ppl say from ppl chatting up bots and downward!

Just delete this and get the real discussion going on the new thread, the one about features for the ladders.

• Advertisement

So whats your main point again? You think we're lazy?

[10:58] <Regi> shinji - we want more column inches for boards.ie
    [10:58] <Regi> give
    [11:01] <Shinji> lol
    [11:01] <Shinji> Only if I can get moderator privs, and get to edit all Bunny's posts to say "I am a llama. I am a llama." @{
    [11:01] <Shinji> :P
    [11:02] <Shinji> ^^ journalistic integrity

Quote it all if you're gonna quote it at all, Jaden you hoe wink.gif

Ja,
    Rob

--

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Pfffff.

What's the point if it's in context?

smile.gif

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

This thread is about to be closed

1) its gone off topic see Lucutus "Ladder topic" to get back on track

2) A number of people have asked that it be closed.

3) Its starting to get personal.

Vexorg.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement