Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"fifth cheapest out of 14 European countries"?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No I don't welcome the move because they are just throwing crumbs.

It's a stalling tatic - the increase in line rental means that eircom BB customers are being subsidised by non-BB customers (>90%) so for the average user the price has actually gone UP.

Yeah that bit about using line rental to pay for BB rollout, didn't the govt already give them subsidised fibre etc. surely part of the €492m? could have been used for BB investment..

As long as they look like they are doing something then the pressure is off them and the politicans (and comreg?) can pat themselves on the back.

Please NTL, rollout telephony over cable ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Lads get back on topic please or ill have to start deleteing/moveing topics in order to clean up the thread

You can make your own topic to discuses if this is a good or bad thing or if excitisting eircom broadband users will be upgraded to 1 Meg but this thread is for compeering prices against other Eu countries.

I swear Boards is amazing for topic drift :p Form the price of broadband in Holland to a long post explaining a funny name for eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

sorry for staying off topic but there is no hope of going to 1mb, the starter is radsl the 1mb service is the normal dsl and its not just a matter of flicking a switch to turn radsl into a 1md service. If theres a price drop it will apply to all starter customers old and new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Kristok
    sorry for staying off topic but there is no hope of going to 1mb, the starter is radsl the 1mb service is the normal dsl and its not just a matter of flicking a switch to turn radsl into a 1md service.
    And your source for this is?

No doubt, there will be some RADSL customers whose lines won't be able to sustain a 1MB signal. I have no reason to believe that this will stop oreillycom charging them for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭cmdrpaddy

the incumbent is still the "default" choice of Sean Citizen who just goes with whoever is most familiar

The problem with this is that in a country like belgium cable internet access (NTL) was available a good while before Belgacom supplied ADSL. Most communes had TV supplied by certain cable companies and these companies were generally cheaper and provided a better service than Belgacom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

ComReg made a presentation called Broadband in Ireland to the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Communications, Marine and Natural Resources last June. I've attached one of the graphs in that presentation. And sure enough, if you round all the other prices up to the nearest Euro, Eircom slips in there at the "fifth cheapest in Europe". What do you think? Is this the source of McRedmonds dodgy claim?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Huh ?
    So against MAY last year we are now the ffifth cheapest.
    Except
    - the Denmark figure includes line rental.
    - And it only lists incumbants.
    - And I'm sure some of the others have dropped prices too.
    How does it compare to current prices when you include line rental ????

Note: In Italy you can get Govt grants for BB

Also if you are into irony page 31 pointing out how we should be ahead of EU average for BB uptake based on our other use of technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

The thing that really makes me laugh is the fact that ESAT are right next to Eircon on the chart and it's quite evident that ESAT are cheaper:p. Why was ESAT included when it's not the owner of the lines?.

Advertisement