Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless network = dire

• 12-01-2004 6:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭

Just got a linksys wireless G access point and a wireless card for the PC.

Installed the card, started and configured the access point (while both items were sitting about 2 feet apart) and it worked perfectly. Nice connection speeds and no problems.

Proceeded to move the access point out into the hall (for a gradual test of signal strength) and the signal died, completely. This is about 10 feet away, through a wall but still, it's just a normal wall, not made of lead or anything.

So, we tried changing channels cause the manuals suggest it. We did and the signal jumped to full strength (with access point still being in the hall). Cool! We started surfing the net and after about 5 seconds the signal drops to 1% power then dies altogether!

I'm assuming wireless cannot be that crap. We must be doing something wrong.

Are Linksys considered bad in the wireless world? What could possibly be the problem seeing as we are so close and only 1 wall seperates the access point from the wireless card.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

any interference around the place eg tv, cordless phone etc

but be sure to check everthing
    but it sounds like your equipment is faulty!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

This should be in the wireless forum .... but in answer to your question ... keep changing channels ... if a link is working fine and suddenly stops, that points to interference ... could be a cordless phone, even next door, baby monitors, audio/video senders ... lots and lots of stuff use the 2.4Ghz band, and there is bound to be some close to you or possibly going over the power limits...(this is why I opted for 802.11A gear) .... move around and change channels, test in a friends house if you think its faulty hardware

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I have a linksys wireless router and 2 54g linksys cards...and discovered after ages of fiddling that one of the aerials that came with the card is ****e. Replaced it and hey presto total house coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

i have a linksys wireless g router and have the pc and xbox connected to it and have no problems with it, the xbox is connected with a wet-11 bridge and the pc is connected with a wusb-11.

i had the pc upstairs and have now moved it downstairs and have 100% signal strenght and 100% link quality ( drops to 97 % now and then ) in both locations, i have a base station and 5 wireless handheld phones in the house and have not had any probs as yet , maybe as the others have stated you might be getting interferance or have a faulty kit.

if you have any other wireless devices in the house unplug them and try plugging them in one buy one to locate the problem , i have my devices set to channel 11 sorry i can't you out with your problem but i have found my linksys set up to be very reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭useeme

ive just set up a wireless network, and am playing around with it, but i notice that the remote for the telly interferes, i also suspect that my neighboure cordless phone is interfering also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

Interesting. Probably a stupid question but does the remote only interfere when it's used and how does that interference manifest?

We have a set of cordless phones that operate on the 2.4ghz range but we'd unplugged the base station for them when we were testing. Not sure if we turned the actual handset off though, maybe that might be the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Are Linksys considered bad in the wireless world?

Yeah stay away if possible, never ever use in a business environment, out of the box the most unsecure networks around.

Thanks joePC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭useeme

its only when the rc for the tv,dvd,hi-fi is used, and i suspect when next door use there cordless phone my signal strength drops or dips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Moving the antennae a little bit can make a big difference to signal strength and signal quality. I’ve found that Linksys’s products have inferior ranges and ping times compared to Netgears!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

Thanks guys. Will try moving the antennae around and test it. If that fails then I'll return the linksys and get something better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement