Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake 1 for XP

Options
  • 12-01-2004 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭

Hey all, just wondering if any of you can help. I have a copy of quake 1 that i bought years ago for my old win95 machine, and was looking to relive the glory days of sucking ass at quake, but cant run it on XP. Anyone know if theres a patch available or anything? Thanks. Oh and i heard something about FuhQuake a while ago..what is that, something like Jdoom?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

there are plenty of JDoom style patches, FuhQuake is the best that i've tried...
    its well worth seeking out.

if you want an authentic quake representation, without all the fancy open gl/direct 3d gubbins.
    do a google for winquake.
    if you can't find it i'll upload my copy...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

MoreQuakeworld.

Fuhquake is for losers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Okay well im d/ling win quake..ill let you know how it works out for me, cheers :)

Holy crap is fuhquake really 99mb??? Jdoom and the model pack was only like 11mb combined!

there's a smaller version of fuhquake without all the models & stuff... i think it's something like 5mb...

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭BoobeR

shouldn't this be in the quake forum??
    oh well.. i suppose not as many people would reply considering not as many people go there :confused:

• Advertisement

Yeah im downloading a small version now..its 4.31mb. Hope it actually works..anyway cheers again :)

Originally posted by tman
    there are plenty of JDoom style patches, FuhQuake is the best that i've tried...
    its well worth seeking out.

if you want an authentic quake representation, without all the fancy open gl/direct 3d gubbins.
    do a google for winquake.
    if you can't find it i'll upload my copy...

*claps slowly* That was seriously hilarious. Really. Winquake? A f*cking siesmic surveying program? Nice one, you knob.

Anyway, Fuhquake works fine..alot better than WIN-F*CKING-QUAKE did, thanks for the help all. Anyone know if you can download the new skins etc seperately?

perhaps if you clicked a link lower down the list... like this one... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by tman
    perhaps if you clicked a link lower down the list... like this one... :rolleyes:

Sorry..thought youd given me a dodgy filename just for a laugh
    /appy-polly-loggies
    Stupid programs with the stupid same names..*grumbles*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by Deadwing
    *claps slowly* That was seriously hilarious. Really. Winquake? A f*cking siesmic surveying program? Nice one, you knob.

Anyway, Fuhquake works fine..alot better than WIN-F*CKING-QUAKE did, thanks for the help all. Anyone know if you can download the new skins etc seperately?

What are you, 10.. never heard of WinQuake?

Matt

• Advertisement

Argh. Okay..ive got fuhquake running..but god dammit..itll only run in 640x480, so its got enormous black borders around it..and you cant change the resolution without going into the command line. Anyone know how to actually get the command line to work?? i read the fuhquake manual..and it says to type -width (600) -height(800) or whatever into the console. I guess im doing it arseways cause whenever i type it in it just comes up "Player: -width (800)....etc etc" you get the picture. anyone know what to actually type to get the damn thing to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

u msunt be typing from the command line, can you make a batch file to pass those arguments

ive no idea. im pressing the ~ key to bring up the console and typing it int here, is that right? All this hassle to play an 8 year old game...*L*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

COMMAND LINE!
    Not console.

Try typing

C:\quake\fuhquake.exe -width 800 -height 600

in run. (change as applicable)

Or make a batchfile/shortcut/whatever.

Originally posted by Giblet
    COMMAND LINE!
    Not console.

Try typing

C:\quake\fuhquake.exe -width 800 -height 600

in run. (change as applicable)

Or make a batchfile/shortcut/whatever.

THANK YOU!!!!!!
    *gives it a try*

Ah well, i give up. When i try typing int he command line it tells me im missing gfx.wad. *sigh*i guess im missing files cause ionly d/l'ed the 4mb version and not the 99mb one. thanks anyways!!

Advertisement