Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland to play Brazil at Lansdowne road

• 12-01-2004 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

Link

No ticket info yet.....

Hopefully soon, Should be good.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

oh where going to get our asses spanked by them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

oh where going to get our asses spanked by them

I fear you're right but if its a nice frosty February evening, they may not fancy it too much.

ah well lets just hope its not as bad as 4-0 or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Anyone got ticket info on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Just had a really bad nightmare like thought.

Imagine Kaka coming up against Gary Breen. Oh my god :) I'd nearly go to the match just for that match up although I presume Kerr will be using this as another test for players liek Delap, McPhail, Miller, Reid, Thompson etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

There's always something special seeing Gary Breen come up against, say Figo when we played portugal. Nonetheless it will be an intersting match, we usually do alright against better sides. (....well most of the time, anyone remember that 7 - 0 loss to Brazil about 20 years ago?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

This is great news. Brazil and the Chech Republic will give us a chance to see the lads play against the best in the world. They may be beaten 5-0 by Brazil but that won't really damage the confidence to much as its only a friendly and they probably won't expect anything out of it but if we beat Brazil confidence will be sky high. The last time we played in 1987 we beat them 1-0 so there is a chance. :)

I have not been looking forward to a match like this at Lansdowne since the Holland match. The players can only learn from this match, there is not enough experienced players in the squad so we would probably get slaughtered by France if we didn't get experience against the best. After all these big freindlies the squad will head off to America for a tournament where we can give all the players a chance to impress. There will be about 6-8 friendlies before we start the qualifiers so it will give the lads a lot of time to gell and get to know each other.

No matter what the price I am heading to Lansdowne next month. :)

i dont know i mean if their beaten badly it could very well destroy moral with has to be low at the moment (then again they played well aginst other big boy countrys) its a risk :dunno:

but ya dont know some of theis new guys are good if they play well that night might get a draw or even a 1-0 win ...if brazil score 2 though its over

Originally posted by bizmark
    i dont know i mean if their beaten badly it could very well destroy moral with has to be low at the moment
    There is a lot of time to get moral back up as they will be playing a tournament in the US agianst the likes of Scotland. I also can't see us getting slaughtered as Brazil aren't very good travellers.

ya ah well it will be a good test for the newer lads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

what are you talking about, it'll destroy moral!! the only irish players that won't be delighted when they see this match are wasters with no ambition like stephen "ah no, sure i'll just play reserve football all my life" mcpail

they're in a win-win situation
    lose, even by alot, and everyone will say "well Brazil are the world champions"
    win or draw, they'll be heros

i'd prefer gettin beat by brazil 5-0 than useless 3-0 wins against canada any night of the week

i said a big defeat "could" destroy moral witch could be pritty low already.....no matter wither its a frendly or not being beaten 5-0 by any team would be a blow

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I don't think Brazil will win heavily. IF they win it will be one or two goals max. It's hardly the world cup final, and even if it was, Ireland have a fair record against the biggest teams in recent years. It's a nothing game for Brazil and I'd be surprised if they don't treat it as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Excellent News. Feck worrying about Kaka running at Breen, just the thoughts of Thierry running at him is already sending me into a panic !!!!!!

Jaysus wouldn't mind seeing this game :) And remember Ireland normally play better against the big teams !!!!

Gandalf.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Hopefully we'll be able to get tickets. I have a few contacts in ticketmaster so hopefully they'll be on sale through ticketmaster.

The demand for this game is going to be huge. We need Croker now! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

w

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

when is gaa congress??is this match being fixed because the fai know something we dont? they did only beat wales 3-0 when they were at a similar "builing"stage a few years back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

I dunno it could be a decent match. A lot of young players will be given opportunities and if you can't inspire yourself to a big game vs Brazil then you shouldn't be playing football really should u

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Cant wait, going to get tickets the second they go on sale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

how many of the big clubs will release the brazilians for this game in fairness!!! imo it will be very much a reserve brazil team with one or two big names!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Great. We can play a world class team in our non-world class stadium. They will be impressed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

If what usually happens is anything to go by those with block bookings for the Ireland matches will be offered tickets first, they can take quite a few if I remember properly, then the remainder go on sale to the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by woosaysdan
    how many of the big clubs will release the brazilians for this game in fairness!!! imo it will be very much a reserve brazil team with one or two big names!!!

yeah true. Its in the niddle of the season

Originally posted by woosaysdan
    I was listening to Fran Rooney on Sky Sports News and he said that part of the deal was that Brazil would bring their strongest possible squad. When they played Jamaica in a friendly in the Walker stadium they brought all their best players and when that is part of the deal teams usually live up to their word (eg. Derry -v- Barcelona). There is also a break of club fixtures between Sat/Sun-Sat/Sun and their is a few more matches on the same day, Portugal -v- England, Wales -v- Scotland to name a few. So every team should have no objection to releasing their players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

It may well be the middle of their season but in fairness most of the team play in the european leagues. Would be great to get to see how the defence stand up to Ronaldo :)

how much is it costing the FAI to bring brazil to ireland? i think it cost wales £440,000 to play them 3 years ago!!! and they werent world champions then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

I hope I can get a few tickets for this game...........

<crosses fingers>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

all you lads that can go to the match need to take your digital cameras with you!!

I just can't wait to see how Duff plays against Cafu. IMO Cafu (even though he is old) is better than any RB in the premiership so Duff will have a hard task on his hands.

Finnan -v- Kaka
    Carr -v- Ze Roberto
    Cunningham -v- Ronaldo
    O'Shea -v- Rivaldo
    Duff -v- Cafu
    A. Reid -v- Carlos
    Miller (prob. inj.)/Kavanagh -v- Emerson
    Delap -v- Giberto Silva
    Keane -v- Lucio
    Morrison -v- R. Junior
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

heres hopin keane can bag another goal
    repeat the preformance in 1987

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    I just can't wait to see how Duff plays against Cafu. IMO Cafu (even though he is old) is better than any RB in the premiership so Duff will have a hard task on his hands.

Finnan -v- Kaka
    Carr -v- Ze Roberto
    Cunningham -v- Ronaldo
    O'Shea -v- Rivaldo
    Duff -v- Cafu
    A. Reid -v- Carlos
    Miller (prob. inj.)/Kavanagh -v- Emerson
    Delap -v- Giberto Silva
    Keane -v- Lucio
    Morrison -v- R. Junior
    :D
    I'm most likely being biased when I say this but I think that, when you look at the line ups there. Ireland look fairly equal to Brazil. With the exceptions of the battles between Finnan and Kaka and Cunningham and Ronaldo.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

You're right, you are being biased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭DEG viper

keane and duff have the ability to destroy the brazilian defence who are better at going forward than defending

yeah but carlos, kaka, ronaldo, rivaldo and ze roberto will also have the ability to do the same to us!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭irish life

Originally posted by DEG viper
    keane and duff have the ability to destroy the brazilian defence who are better at going forward than defending
    I wouldn't under-estimate Lucio!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

Early Feb in Dublin a'int that nice..saying that they will not fancy the hard tackling but should still get some great exibition stuff from the Globetrotters!!Am I glad I block booked tickets for all those crap matches/friendlies now:D

The cost to bring Brazil to Dublin was $600,000 (€470,000). Lets hope the FAI don't make up for this by raising ticket prices AGAIN.

I was just thinking, the official top 5 players in the world are:
    1. Zinedine Zidane (France)
    2. Thierry Henry (France)
    3. Ronaldo (Brazil)
    4. Pavel Nedved (Czech Republic)
    5. Roberto Carlos (Brazil)

All those players will be playing in Dublin (Maybe not Zidane and Henry if they don't get the stadium sorted out) in the next year. At least something good came out of us failing to qualfy for the European Champs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

Yeah and next years number 1 Duffer will be there too:cool:

Advertisement