Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

V.92/V.44 with Lucent/Agere WinModem

Options
  • 12-01-2004 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭

I have a "Mars2" (1646) chipset based Lucent/Agere 56K WinModem. This works fine in V.90/V.42bis mode with the latest driver from Agere (v8.30). However I would like, if possible, to get V.92/V.44 for the faster connect time and better compression. From what I've read elsewhere the Lucent/Agere v8.12 driver was the last one to support V.92/V.44 for this chipset with all later drivers only supporting V.90/V.42bis for the "Mars2" (1646) chipset and V.92/V.44 for later chipsets such as "Mars3.x" (1648 etc.). The only earlier driver that I can find is v8.10 which ostensibly also supports V.92/V.44 for all chipsets including "Mars2" but I still only get V.90/V.44bis when I use it. Anybody know what I need to do to get V.92/V.44? I'm connecting to UTVinternet (free) which I believe supports V.92/V.44 (if it doesn't then there's the quick answer... :) )

I would appreciate any advice that anybody can provide.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Might get a few ideas from last weeks thread...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76561

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Thanks for that. I'd seen that topic and it simply seems to confirm that UTV do support V.92 (I'm assuming on their free service as well as UTVip?) but I'm just wondering if there's something that I need to do with my setup to get it working in V.92/V.44 mode.

I should have mentioned that I'm checking the MyVitalAgent modem logs to see how it connects and I always "only" get V.42bis - which I guess implies V.90 - rather than V.92. I'm assuming that a V.92 connection will (may?) result in V.44? Maybe I'm mistaken...

To be honest I'm probably flogging a dead horse (dial-up) here in trying to squeeze out marginal performance improvements (by way of V.92/V.44 versus V.90/V.42bis) but it's the only horse that I have right now... ;)

Advertisement