Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new phoneline

• 12-01-2004 9:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭

Just got a new phoneline hooked up with Eircom. The phoneline was never activated in this apt so its not in the data base for dsl testing. Can they run the test if I call them or will I have to wait until some random time when they run these tests? I am on an enabled exchange in Salthill Galway BTW.

☀️ 7.6kWp ⚡3.4kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

you'll be waiting up to 4 weeks for a line test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Also if you can help it go with IOL or UTV dont give your money to the monopoly; every € you give eircon God kills a kitten - think of the kittens:(.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    Also if you can help it go with IOL or UTV dont give your money to the monopoly; every € you give eircon God kills a kitten - think of the kittens:(.

LMAO, think i'll use that as a sig. :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

hehe, was just thinking that myself :)
    So you seriously have to wait 4 weeks after line activation before EirCON will test your line?
    This seems abit of a joke, surely if you go to Esat and try order DSL things might speed up abit?

Originally posted by Cabaal
    hehe, was just thinking that myself :)
    So you seriously have to wait 4 weeks after line activation before EirCON will test your line?
    This seems abit of a joke, surely if you go to Esat and try order DSL things might speed up abit?

Yeh, seriously 4 weeks. Well it was seriously about three and a half weeks for me I suppose but the lines in a specific area are tested every 4 weeks.

During that three and a half weeks I rang UTV who said they couldnt do anything until line test results were made available to them AND if I did put an order through before my results were in it could fupp the whole process right up.

So long story short, get a good book and wait patiently like a good fella.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

An Eircom Agent/Reseller such as the 3G store at the bottom of Eyre Square or CK Electronic above Compustore on the Headford Rd can get his line tested within 24 hours.

M

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Got my modem today from UTV. Just under 2 weeks. I'm in shannon.

Originally posted by Muck
    An Eircom Agent/Reseller such as the 3G store at the bottom of Eyre Square or CK Electronic above Compustore on the Headford Rd can get his line tested within 24 hours.

M

Thats a turn up for the books

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

The Database is updated on a Thursday and it is finished on a Monday basically sometimes it can take 24 hours But normally Tuesday morning a is a good indicator if you call them before Thursday evening

call 1800 512 128

Or PM me your Number

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by Muck
    can get his line tested within 24 hours.

This sounds about right, or atleast a similar setup to how BT operate in the UK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by rymus
    Thats a turn up for the books
    What, eircom insiders getting preferential treatment over competitors? You're not surprised at that, are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

When i placed the order for phone line they said 3 working days. I just called them to see if its live, now they say "oh heavens no, it takes 10-15 working days". I have a bad feeling about all this :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

plug in a phone and dial 199000 , see if you get an answer and write it down.

then I'll tell ya what to do next

Originally posted by Ripwave
    What, eircom insiders getting preferential treatment over competitors? You're not surprised at that, are you?

I took it to mean, if you pay a visit to your local eircom rep in a 3G store they'll test the line for you... Obviously my optimism ran riot once again. Glad to know it's still the same as it always was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Thanks Muck, Im in New York at the present time making things even more difficult for myself. :mad: I didnt want to come back home until the broadband is done, but my rent will be due in feb so looks like I may have to lol

Advertisement