Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the XBox Bulletproof?

Options
  • 13-01-2004 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

I knew the xbox was big and chunky, but I didn't think it'd be bulletproof ffs!

It may just end up saving your life someday though :D
    Robert Preston Kersey, a 34-year-old from Anne Arundel County across the pond in Maryland, who found himself so fed with the noise of his flatmates' gaming last Friday night that he burst into the lounge just past 2am in the morning and shot the cause of their merriment, a familiar black games console marked with an X...

Amazingly, police claim the 9mm gunshot didn't even penetrate the bulky Xbox, and that nobody was injured at the scene, but nevertheless Kersey has been charged with two counts of reckless endangerment and one count of destruction of property, so presumably the Xbox didn't exactly survive the incident unscathed.

Original Article: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=53995

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Read that months ago but it's a good story.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Wouldn't blame him to be honest.
    The muppets should've been wearing headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

"don't play xbox, it'll cause gun-toting loons to shoot in your general direction"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

The xbox supports dolby digital 5.1, why the hell would you wear headphones?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

It was prolly late at night, a bit of consideration eh?

• Advertisement

I know yeah. It was a joke.

Albeit a bad one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Faust

Could you imagine people being shot at and then after they get up pulling an x box from under their shirt and saying "Thank god i was wearing my x box" hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Or underfunded police forces going up against riots with an xbox strapped to one arm as a shield, and a controller in the other as a whip/bludgeoning weapon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Faust

Originally posted by TheSonOfBattles
    Or underfunded police forces going up against riots with an xbox strapped to one arm as a shield, and a controller in the other as a whip/bludgeoning weapon :D
    haha great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Wouldn't it have been a more logical solution to just use a pair of ear plugs? Wouldn't have landed him with a lenghty jail sentence.

Originally posted by Thorbar
    Wouldn't it have been a more logical solution to just use a pair of ear plugs? Wouldn't have landed him with a lenghty jail sentence.

He can get off lightly by blaming Max Payne or Jerry Springer or something for influencing his activities, because ~obviously~ if he hadn't played that game/seen that chatshow he would only have stabbed the housemate in the eye with a fork instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Strap an xbox to your arm?! The damn thing would prob tear ur arm from the socket....

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

I use it as a pillow

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

prob make microsoft more money selling it as armour rather then a games console...

And the award for the most ignorant post on this thread:
    Drum roll please..............
    And the winner is..............
    BlitzKrieg!!!

Originally posted by Seifer
    BlitzKrieg!!!

Hmm, methinks that joke backfired. You came across a lot worse tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Well that proves it violent computer games cause real-life violence :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Originally posted by Seifer
    BlitzKrieg!!!

:confused:

award for most pointless post goes to /\

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

i dont believe it myself, i need pictures or something, i mean he shot the ****in thing its just to ott.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by weemcd
    i dont believe it myself, i need pictures or something, i mean he shot the ****in thing its just to ott.

I'll remind you this is AMERICA we're talking about. You know the place where guns come free with your bank account, violence is shown 24/7 by tv channels in a ratings war, the goverment/news media keep the people in fear with scare tactics which have no factual foundation most of the time and people vote for george bush. Anything is possible over there ffs.

Originally posted by weemcd

They're Americans.
    Go figure.

Also, the bullet more than likely hit the hard drive.
    Otherwise I don't see how the bullet wouldn't have ripped straight though the case and the motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

I'll remind you this is AMERICA we're talking about. You know the place where guns come free with your bank account, violence is shown 24/7 by tv channels in a ratings war, the goverment/news media keep the people in fear with scare tactics which have no factual foundation most of the time and people vote for george bush. Anything is possible over there ffs.

someones a fan of bowling for columbine, but you write like this is your own opinion why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Senor_Fudge

its possible id say 9mm are known for their low velocities and have been seen not to penetrate doors

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

It also depends on the angle of impact. If it was a low angle then the bullet could have bounced instead of penetrated.

Also, can we leave the debate about Americans and guns for Politics and/or Humanities? I'd like to get through the weekend without having to ban anybody.

Originally posted by ARM
    its possible id say 9mm are known for their low velocities and have been seen not to penetrate doors

It's more to do with the Parrabellum-shaped bullet.
    Like throwing an egg against a wall.
    Perfect for close-quarters fighting as when the round hits the target it mushrooms out leaving a larger entry and (sometimes) exit cavity.
    Pretty useless for armour piercing though.
    Leave that to the FN Five-Seven and teflon coated rounds :)

Originally posted by amp
    Also, can we leave the debate about Americans and guns for Politics and/or Humanities? I'd like to get through the weekend without having to ban anybody.

Grand.

Besides which, I'm not really a Micheal Moore fan, I've seen Bowling for Columbine once, it was good, but not life changing or anything. Most of what I said above is more from friends I have in America than from that, and from what they've told me tbh. Not strictly my own opinion, but i'd be inclined to believe them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭axel90

I've opened my xbox and inside the plastic box is lined with metal, it also has the hard-drive an bulky dvd drive protecting the motherboard, it doesn'y supprise me it survived. If the console had wheels it could be used as a armoured personnel carryer for pygmies

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

9mm bullets dont have the best of velocities, there the type of bullets being used by Air Marshalls, so they probably wouldnt pierce the aircraft, yet will happily rip through a skull!

• Advertisement
Advertisement