Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ignorance needs fixing...

• 13-01-2004 12:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

Finally the funds neccessary have become available to break away from dial up and join the ranks of broadband. My father wants eircom but their web page has scared me off with their 'it's faster, gives us money, magic makes the internet faster..' attitude. Any help in terms of the performances of the various providers available(DL speeds, pings, caps etc)?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

IOLBB seems to be the best balance at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Well if you can get UTV they are about the same(as IOLBB - €ircon are THE worst dont touch them) except their cap is only for downloads so you can upload all you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

if you want good pings stay well away from utv im told.
    Download rates and caps utv+iol are similar. (all 2nd hand info)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by phlematic
    Finally the funds neccessary have become available to break away from dial up and join the ranks of broadband. My father wants eircom but their web page has scared me off with their 'it's faster, gives us money, magic makes the internet faster..' attitude. Any help in terms of the performances of the various providers available(DL speeds, pings, caps etc)?
    What's your phone bill like (excluding internet calls?) If you make more than €20 a month in local and national calls, you'd be very hard pushed to beat the new IOL/ESAT - bundles €65 for broadband plus "all you can eat" local and national calls, or, even if you don't make that many local and national calls, bundle 3 is also a minimum of €65 but your ordinary local, national, mobile and international calls all count towards that.

Technically, there's not that much to choose from between the alternative providers - the basic product is the same, but there are some differences in how each providers own network is configured. Unfortunately, there's circumstantial evidence that oreillycom don't treat all DSL users equally, and delays are more likely if you get DSL from someone other than oreillycom. (Even oreillycom customers have seen 3 week delays in getting DSL, but for most customers of all 3 main providers, this isn't too muchof a problem).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Simple bit of info
    Eircom monthly cap - 4GB
    Esat monthly cap - 8GB
    Esat is also cheaper, please don't go with EirCON, atleast for the kittens sake
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

UTV cap - 8GB

note that your iol limit of 8gb includes traffic in both directions, whereas utv only includes downloads. Then again, if theres a woman in the house it's well worth the new iol bundle... you know how these women tend to go on for hours :D

*waits for a feminist attack*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

just a quick question there
    what is the difference between pings and actual download rate(throughput)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by jank
    just a quick question there
    what is the difference between pings and actual download rate(throughput)!
    They have almost no relationship to one another. You can download at 50KB/S on a connection with crap pings. You can get great pings and have crap downloads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

for example... I'm on UTV and although it's apparently the worst for pings, I get 50k+ while downloading. Personally I'd take download speed over uber pings though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

A ping represents the time it takes a small signal to get to a distant location and return. It's important for gaming.

Download speed represents how much information you can get at once. When someone can dowload 'faster', it would probably be more accurate to say they download 'bigger.'

• Advertisement
Advertisement