Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish WISP to shut up shop

• 13-01-2004 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I got an e-mail today from Irish Wisp telling me that they will be ending there service within 2 to 4 weeks because of the amount of complaints from users , the clogging up of the 2.4Ghz freq and the company is now making losses .

I after just connecting 6 months ago am seriously pissed after paying a startup fee of approx E350 and it seems we will get none of it backing.

Just wanted to see what others think of this!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by fraggel
    I got an e-mail today from Irish Wisp telling me that they will be ending there service within 2 to 4 weeks because of the amount of complaints from users , the clogging up of the 2.4Ghz freq and the company is now making losses .

I after just connecting 6 months ago am seriously pissed after paying a startup fee of approx E350 and it seems we will get none of it backing.

Just wanted to see what others think of this!!
    That's a bummer!

Did IrishWisp get 3.5GHz licenses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

The first casuality in the broadband price wars. I believe they did get a 3.5ghz license, but they probably just cannot afford to swith over to the new technology, as if they are making losses already, how can they possibly afford to pay out even more money? I nearly went with them as my broadband ISP, looks like i was lucky to fail that los test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

IrishWISP didnt recieve any 3.5ghz spectrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭jmcc

Seems to be a replay of the whole ISP scene as it was between 1990 and 1997 but on a far faster timeline. Expect more WISPs to fail and some to be bought out.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by fraggel
    I think that the complaints and the clogging up of that frequency range go hand in hand ... 3.5Ghz shouldnt have this problem .. so a better quality of service and fewer horror stories to put off new customers (I hope) ... the only interference in that range should be from other WISP's ... hopefully this will be a rarity and not commonplace, they should be able to undercut €40 RADSL, if they cant then they are fucked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭Poz3D

There won't be a problem with interference on 3.5ghz because every company leases a frequency spectrum from ComReg. This means they have a chunk of frequency to use only for themselves. This guarantees no interference and if other wireless companies cross over into reserved spectrum, they must cease their operations.

I don't think it's important for wireless companies on 3.5ghz to undercut €40 RADSL pricing. The idea of 3.5ghz licenses is to bring broadband Internet to areas which can't get DSL. I don't think it will win many customers in the big towns, but it will pick up quite a few customers in the outlying areas.

Advertisement