Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for an app

Options
  • 13-01-2004 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭

I've been looking for a program that copies a folders contents into another folder, automatically and does it constanly or as much as possible. Basically I'm working on a project, and I want to back up the files immediatly onto another computer's folder.

EG,

COMPUTER1
    COMPUTER2
    FOLDER1
    FOLDER2

I save a file *.doc into Folder1, and then immediatly a copy of it goes to Folder2

Any ideas what app can do this?

:dunno:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You can get expensive ones that sync files across a network by exchanging only the changed bytes rather than the full file.

you could try an xcopy /d batch file running continuously (messy - slow inefficient - but two lines long.)

thingy.bat
    xcopy c:\*.* x:\*.* /s /m /d /h /r
    call %0

Windows server OS's have replication - but not meant to replicate large folders - but the hooks are under the bonnet somewhere.

Fastfind - might alert you when a new file is created though..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Windows server OS's have replication - but not meant to replicate large folders - but the hooks are under the bonnet somewhere.

yeah m8, I was on a site today trying to set that up. DFS its called but the folder I'm trying to make a duplicate of is over 100gigs :eek:
    anyway, DFS didnt work to well so thats why I'm looking for a third party software solution

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you want it nice and easy with the added advantage of proper remote storage THIS little puppy will do it, and from as many locations as you like, all intelligently so it's always up to date.

if you want to do it with 2 of your own pc's only and are paranoid about transfering your files over the net, there are a whole bunch of utils at download.com that will do the job depending on your exact requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Ando, DFS should handle 100Gb files without any problem. I'm assuming you've got a couple of 1000Mbit NICs though when you are trying this?

No point in using a 10/100 card....you'll be there till u die!

Have you tried writing an application in C# that'll copy the files as soon as they've changed using the OnChange event?

From MSDN:
    System.IO.FileSystemWatcher

Definition: Listens to the file system change notifications and raises events when a directory, or file in a directory, changes.

HTH,

Colm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭ando

thanks colm but I'm not a programmer :rolleyes: I know what your on about, but I would'nt have a breeze on how to write the app

• Advertisement
Advertisement