Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call of Duty toughness

Options
  • 13-01-2004 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

Ok, I am at my wits end. I have GIVEN UP trying in Call of Duty. Its impossible.

Level: Veteran
    Army: Soviet
    Mission: Claim and defend the big house in the city that overlooks all the streets

I seriously have single-handedly killed about 500 German soldiers. My team-mates are next to useless. I am overrun. Tanks seem to kill me any time I try to get to an anti-tank gun.

Anyone else pissed off at that point? I can't go on at this rate...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

a ) Make sure you have the PPsh;
    b ) Stay on the 2nd/3rd floor.
    c ) Quick save a lot, especially after each tank blown up. Took me ages to get that level done as well, pretty much fluked it. I stayed by the main stairs, and between the bots and me shooting anything coming up those stairs, I got through it

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

I finished this excellent game also on veteran level just before Christmas. Its been a couple of weeks but here are my memories of that level:

From what I can recall it takes three or four shots to take out a tank but the anti-tank rifles have a good rate of fire - keep pumping away. If you find you are getting blown away just as you reach the anti tank rifle - just wait outside the room for a few seconds until the tank has fired and then go in and grab the rifle. You only need to take out two tanks, one on 2nd floor and one on 3rd floor but once you have taken out any immedately threatening tanks you can play with the anti-tank rifle if you want. Don't hang around too long though there is nothing to be gained by shooting more than the nessecary two tanks and they will just keep coming.

Once you have shot the required number of tanks find a corner and hide. Keep away from windows for obvious reasons and find somewhere you can cover all possible entrances. I hid at the top of the ramp to the cellar. Just shoot anyone who comes near you and eventually re-enforcements will arrive. OK so I'm a coward - perhaps I should give back my Order of Lenin medal but as Kermit the frog once said "War is Heck".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I think the problem might really stem from the rest of my team getting blown away during the capture of the building. I think there's one left! Taking on about 500 German soldiers by yourself isn't easy.

Thanks for the tips though - I was trying to take out ALL the German tanks, which meant I was running up and down the ramps like a motherf*cker! That might make things a wee bit easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

"Pavlov's House" is insanely difficult. Took me ages to get past it. Your team mates are not useless, since they will in actual fact stop flanking runs by the enemy. Keep your PPSH, and lift either an mp40 or the one with the sickle ammo magazines (can't remember the gun model). The latter had a far better penetration on the enemy then the mp40 and was more likely to drop them with 1/2 shots but it was also in far shorter abundance than the mp40. If you get the chance, use your grenades as well.

Stay around the 2nd/3rd floor as suggested. There are a few spots on the 2nd floor which are great for stopping the first few hoardes of germans, then fall back and let your team-mates take care of those entries and get to the 3rd floor.

This level is, as I mentioned before, insanely difficult. I found a greater chance of survival with the few team-mates left was to move between one or two positions, covering the largest possible amount of choke-points. Shoot through the floor holes, etc too. Use yoru grenades on germans coming in the lower floors, etc.

Don't go onto the top floor with tanks around because they WILL flatten the floor, although getting to the top of the stairs is safe enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

I too found this impossible..and gave up for 2 weeks.
    then one night I camped in a bathroom..throwing nades down stairs..and then ran upstairs and cowered behind a door..the Germans..due to a bug were all on other side of wall..(pathing issue I suppose)......so I crawled around and mowed them all down like the annoying scum they are.
    I spent ages on that one level...Rest was fun and a little too quick..
    liked the area near end where Tank had to be destroyed by planting a bomb on it was nice using the cover.
    Nem/DemonBaby.

• Advertisement

I always thought that the last level in the Reichstag was very disappointing end to the game; especially considering in reality it was a savage urban battle and last stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

yeh thats thats an insane level, what i resorted to was on the 2nd floor just where the plank of wood which is the stairs i camped and just sat, that way as the germans ran up the stairs i can kill them with ease and also as they pop out from the doorways, but it took ages still as i had to reload at the right time and a lot of the time they just kept coming, and i was on my own, everyone else was dead

cant quite remember how i took out the tanks, probably plenty of running

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I think the point is that at the toughest level you get no health packs - the level needs to be done without any top up. I have played it on Normal and at the highest level and only the highest level is a challenge.

In fact the whole experience is lost if you dont play the toughest level - the game is only average otherwise. So for those yet to play - dive in and play in at the top.

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Originally posted by regeneration
    I always thought that the last level in the Reichstag was very disappointing end to the game; especially considering in reality it was a savage urban battle and last stand.

i have to agree - i was very disappointed in this level
    i though the bridge and pavlov's house were great - tough but great

but the last level was waaaay to easy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Actually now that I think of it I remember the Bridge being much harder than Pavlov's house

hyzepher

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Vassili Zaitsev

Yeah although the last level was pretty easy it was still very very good and i am so pissed off at listenin to people still say medal of honor is brilliant and better than COD. not one level in medal of honor comes close to stalingrad and the building level which has caused many a sleepless night.

I have to say, I though the intro to Stalingrad was one of the best levels of any game I have ever played. No weapon, loads of German machinegunners, planes attacking you, bombs going off, and the Soviet commanders killing their own retreating men - it was incredible all round. Think I was playing on pure adrenaline for about an hour...

Absolutely it set a bench mark for future WW2 titles but i doubt it can be beatin.

I love ww2 and I love ww2 games, but please please please Mr. developer persons, stop making ww2 games! Let's just call CoD the zennith of ww2-ness and leave it at that. The games market is flooded at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I think for that level, after id blown up the tanks..i crouched in the corner of the bathroom and shot at anything that passed the door *L* cowardly..but worked

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Originally posted by mr_angry
    I have to say, I though the intro to Stalingrad was one of the best levels of any game I have ever played. No weapon, loads of German machinegunners, planes attacking you, bombs going off, and the Soviet commanders killing their own retreating men - it was incredible all round. Think I was playing on pure adrenaline for about an hour...

Stalingrad was something else. Did anyone actually manage to pick up a gun in the first Stalingrad level? Is it possible?

I dont think it is possible as i stood over many a dead russian. but the level is so short i doubt u would even use it.

Nah, its not. I think that is just a "feature" of the level.

In the end, I was left on my own again, and I stood on the final staircase, randomly blowing away the hordes of Nazis trying to rush up. The bodies were stacked about 6-high in the end! Worse yet, the first time I did it, I hit Quick Load instead of Quick Save! How devastating do you think that was?

I finished the game shortly afterwards though - I can see why people though the Reichstag was a bit of an anti-climax, but you have to appreciate that the Nazis were a spent force at that stage. I quite enjoyed the "overwhelming victory" element of it.

Have to find something else to play now though! *sniff*

Originally posted by mr_angry

I finished the game shortly afterwards though - I can see why people though the Reichstag was a bit of an anti-climax, but you have to appreciate that the Nazis were a spent force at that stage. I quite enjoyed the "overwhelming victory" element of it.
    It was inevitable victory, but it wasn't overwhelming. For instance, the last remaining king tiger tank (might haven been a different tank, I can't recall) in Berlin camped infront of the Reichstag and took out numerous Russian tanks before being blown away itself. Presumably the garrison there was pretty strong too; that would have been much cooler an ending. Kill the camper tank while dodging the last fanatical remains of the nazis... :D
    The ending is still 10 times more satisfying than MOHAA's frankly insulting ending all those years back. "Game Over" my arse :P

Advertisement