Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software DivX Player for your PS2

• 13-01-2004 2:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

sorry if this is old news, but I only just found out that they have got a working Divx player for the PS2 now.

bad news is you'll need a chipped ps2, or know how to do the knife trick to swap discs (at your own risk obviously) or some other way of booting a cd-r (i'm sure there are other ways).

I'd been checking every now and again to see if it was up and running, and just checked back and it looked like it was up and running.

with a little bit of fiddling I got the right gear burnt to CD and ran my first tests and I have to say I'm very impressed overall.

it's not got a real polished look yet as it's still very much in the beta stages, and occasionally the audio goes out of sync (a quick pause unpause seems to fix it OK) but apart from that little niggle it works a treat.

from what i can gather from the rather sparse docs that came with it it uses the XviD codec so it can play pretty much any DivX as long as it's either divx 4, 5 or xvid (maybe others work, but I don't know i didn't try many yet) with mp3, ogg or pcm sound, so there is plenty to play with for now.

i suppose those of you who don't know its out there will want the links now won't you. :D

PS2 Reality Media Player - you'll need winrar to open it, but i'm sure you know where to get that. :D

easy to burn, just copy the files from the ps2 directory (some may look like shortcuts, but they aren't) into nero or some other burning prog. and burn it to a cd as mode 2 disc at once and boot your (modded) ps2 as normal for a cd-r.

you should ge tthe menu up and you can either run the player from the cd or copy it to your memory card if you have the spare space to do so.

that's it, burn some divx's to cd or dvd and you're there.

on my wanderings i also found out they are fairly close to getting a working ps2 emulator for the pc now, with some (patched) games loading and allowing limited playability in the emu. things are finally moving on. :ninja:

edit: The Knife Swap Tutorial will tell you how to do the swap trick, but you'll still need a gameshark or action replay to get it working, although i think (someone correct me if i'm wrong) the ps2 will read burnt dvd's without as long as it's not a game (i.e. dvdr movies), so if you can borrow the game shark you might be able to install the player on your memory card and then use it without if you have a dvd burner. <- not 100% sure though, so make sure before hand.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

on second thoughts, it looks like you'll need to install the MC Loader too, which is a real pain in the hole, so back to square one with either owning an action replay / game shark or having a chipped PS2 I'm afraid, but still well worth the effort, and another good reason to have your PS2 chipped. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

well i have ps2 chipped and it didnt work for me.
    maybe they chipped it wrong the ****ers .

how did you do it? what happened when you tried?

I tried once doing it exactly how they said on the website and it didn't work, i just got a blank screen, but someone on a ps2 forum suggested copying the files over to nero and just burning them as a mode 2 iso dao, and it worked a treat.

then i just did the same with the divx file and it played fine.

what modchip do you have? a slong as it plays your normal cdr/dvdr's it should work if the files were burnt in the right way.

if yopu're still stuck I'll run you off a copy of my working boot disc and if you're in dublin i can meet you or post it to you otherwise if you're not local.

thinking of it, what happened to that community spirit forum we were supposed to be getting going?

I'm going to have another play with it tonight and burn another (better quality) DVD RIP DivX movie I made myself and see how that goes.

I'm feeling very clever at the moment, I have managed to get almost perfect quality recordings from my 10 quid TV card with a little tweaking too. all i need now is a bigger hard drive for recording and I'll be set. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Vide mind elaborating on how you got the better quality recordings from your TV card? I've a hauppage winTV card and am getting lines, to do with interlacing I think, appearing. But only when I'm recording. I've a decent enough machine so it's not that I think. Also I'm using the hauppage software, were you using something else?

hey vibe thanks for the help.
    i think i followed the guid exactly or something and it didnt work.
    My chip does play most backups but wouldnt play shinobi or something,
    BUT i didnt use nero, il try that.

• Advertisement

ok /OT for a minute, but it's my thread, so :p

I use the following:

PC Spec: P4 1.5ghz, 256mb RAM, 3x 20gb 5400rpm HD's (and a 40gig full of my mp3's in a USB enclosure) with an optowrite +/- DVD burner.

One drive for boot and data (2x partitions) and the other 2x20gb's for capture (will be gettign an 80gb 7200rpm as soon as I can get my mits on one.

Capture Device: WinTV PCI (old card, but has been OK. got it second hand off ebay for a fiver, so not complaining).

Capture Program: FlyTV 2000

Capture Drivers are PicVideo MJPEG video codec with detail set to 10-12 in settings, all others default. (get 2-3 hours per 10gb of HD space with sound set to CD quality PCM 44100Khz and switch it to mono which is all the WinTV will allow). the trick is to record with the frame size set to 768 x 288 which will give you an image twice the width of a 4:3 capture. the picture looks very weird until you run it through the resize filter in VirtualDub which I'll get to in a minute.

Once you have it captured you can compress it in Virtualdub (I don't capture in VirtualDub for many reasons as I prefer FlyTV for the job) I use the DivX 5.x codec and Lame MP3 codec for the audio and video and the resize filter to change the resolution back to 384 x 288 which fixes the image to the proper aspect ratio with a little cropping top and bottom to get rid of the picvideo logos.

then you're done.

resources for all I've learnt (only in the last few weeks) are here:

http://www.tv-cards.com/messageboard

http://www.aussievideosearch.com/

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/capture

and a few others around the net which I'll add when i get home if i can find the links.

OK back on topic again, PM me if you need any more info about capturing and I'll do my best to help. maybe even start a thread if there's enough interest in it. I have a shed load of capture/converting tools which I'm happy to share if needed to go with the advise (all legal of course).

Placebo, I'll either send you a disk, or even make a CD image for you and email it (it's only about 2 or 3mb) to you if you like and you can burn it yourself that way.

other than that I can give you the exact settings i used for nero and you can try it that way and see if it works for you.

we'll see anyway.

are you in dublin btw?

hey man thanks alot for the help.
    i will try nero after my exams and let you know how it goes, last exam is on 23rd .
    yeah i`m in good old dublin.

Thanks once again.

Advertisement