Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chipset driver slowing down pc?

• 13-01-2004 4:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Just installed 2000 over Xp( disc shagged) and I thought i'de update all drivers. So i installed a newer intel chipset driver and now the machine is slow as shiit. Before I updated that driver (and after installing win2k)Colm Mcrea Rally 3 ran quite well but now it really stuttery. Even without that, the general performance of the machine has gone down since i installed Win2k.
    The only difference is that windows is now running from a 5gig partiton on a 30gig hd whereas before it my hard drives where just "whole" ie no partitions.
    I've dl'd all the windows updates but no improvement.

Any of you more informed people have any ideas as to the cause of this?

I really though a fresh format and reinstall would speed up my already lagging system.

P4 2.0 oc'd to 2.5
    1gb ram
    845 chipset
    ti 4200 64mb gfx

cheers
    Wavey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

when i went from ME to 2k i had slow down on my machine, basically windows 2k was slower for me then ME and xp sloved that problem

just a though might not be relevant, you say you have windows installed on a 5gig partition, is this partition nearly full, is it possible the hard drive is struggling to find space to read and write to? i think that happens when hard drives are nearly full.

data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Thanks for the reply Data. The windows partition is 5gig with 1.66 gb free.

So did you notice an improvement in speed with xp as opposed to 2k?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Same thing for me when going from ME to Win2k on one of my boxes - Win2k just expects more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yeah iirc XP seemed faster to me than 2k when i switched to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement