Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ME to XP

Options
  • 13-01-2004 6:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I am going to change from ME to XP and was looking for the best place to buy XP (cheapest) the full package. Have seen it for €270 on komplett.ie and for £160 on amazon.ie. Has anyone seen it any cheaper?

AL.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Why?, do you have a good reason to?, if not dont bother there is nothing new in XP and for that price:eek:, the reason would afto be VERY good.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    there is nothing new in XP...

Nothing new?
    Its alot more stable OS then ME will ever be no matter what you do to it, generally BSOD's happen way to often

Is'ent that good enough reason for anyone to upgrade from the ****e OS that is WinME?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

id definatley get rid of me its brutal . I wouldnt pay for XP microsoft have enouh money do you not know anyone who could maybe give u there back up copy of it

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

If you are a student you can walk into a computer store and get the Student rate on software.

All you have to do is prove you are a student, ID card or something that proves you are currently in college, and you get a great deal on Software.

If you are not a student, get a mate who is to buy it for you.

Student Rate

Funny, in Compustore the student package is 69 euro more....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by Jokah
    Funny, in Compustore the student package is 69 euro more....

Hmm strange that.. I'd imagine its just a mistake, its properly ment to be €100 more

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Get rid of ME!! It has to be one of the worst OS ever! XP Pro is miles better. I'm sure someone you know will help you out with locating one. Legit of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I've run ME for 2 1/2 years on one of my PCs never had ANY prob - not one blue screen; I could never understand this constant whine about the evil ME......it was quite happy for me:dunno:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Everytime i went to my gf's house there was something seriously wrong with her sister's ME machine. If i had my way i'd convert her straight over to Linux, but that's for another day's rant. I upgraded her to XP and it works fine now. No probs, and i don't have any headaches anymore either. Yippeee!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

ME is Sh*te!
    As long as you've got plenty of RAM XP will be fine!
    Win2K Pro is the best tho IMO!;)

Back up your opinions damnit

• Advertisement

Agreed with all of the people who used ME and hated it.

Windows ME, or "Many Errors" as it was known among its haters, drove me nuts and I nearly never used a computer again. Frozen screens, not recognising hardware when it was installed.

I remember I did a complete fresh install of ME on a brand new Hard drive, after it crashed on my old drive.

What happened??? The computer froze and crashed after 5 minutes of use on the new drive using the latest drivers etc....I burned the ME CD in the garden and bought XP that day.

Driver problems were annoying to. Horrible Horrible program.

I use Windows 2k at work and XP Pro at home. I don't have any software problems anymore.

:D

Sorry SJones but I agree with what Jokah said.
    Also it had problems with the AV which I was using! Machine would crash if I hit a key b4 2 minutes had elapsed after startup. ie I had to wait for 2/3 minutes every time windows had loaded before I could use it!
    I have 2K and XP at home now and am delighted with both!

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

OfflerCrocGod i can only assume you are using your machine for MS word or something..
    :D ME is the most terrible os I can think of with multiple problems.. its only win98 with some facial work.
    AlanC get XP and burn ME.
    I think Maplin have an OEM version of XP for about €140 maybe cheaper now.
    They dont sell it directly from the shelves you will have to ask someone in there for it.:cool:

why are you sorry, i said ME sucks monkey nuts.

Originally posted by sjones
    why are you sorry, i said ME sucks monkey nuts.

The WTF would you be askin me to back up what I was sayin???:confused:

(And BTW. Its Gorilla Nuts sonny!)

Well it's kind of useless saying something is "Sh*te" as you put it, without giving reasons. There's no point in posting comments like "Windows ME is sh*te". The majority of computer users know this, it actually goes without saying tbqh, but you should give us YOUR reasons as to why you think it is ****e, how did it fail for you? hense making this thread informative, and actually useful.

I do support for about 20 to 30 business's of all sizes and anywhere that has used ME has been nothing but trouble. the best fix has always been to upgrade to XP pro.
    ME is halfway between 98se and XP but worse than either of them IMO.

It's like someone in Microsoft was half way through the programming of Microsoft ME and he decided to go make himself a cup of coffee.

When he came back from this break, his boss was waiting saying "i hope that product is ready for tomorrows launch".

He goes "sure boss its ready".....and he hands over a half ass!ed program that has so many flaws and glitches in it, you would have rather have a Gremlin running around the house causing havoc instead of working on a computer running Microsoft ME.

Thats my opinion of Windows ME. Pathetic.

I couldnt have put it better myself jokah! A half ars*d effort at an OS!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Why not have a go at Linux, something easy like Mandrake 9.2, give it a go, whats the worst that can happen.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bazH
    Why not have a go at Linux, something easy like Mandrake 9.2, give it a go, whats the worst that can happen.

Could be like one of those Dr Pepper adverts.... :)
    Though seriously currently Linux is a viable option for alot of people as its become alot more user friendly for the average joe and if you can install windows from a CD why not give Linux a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Because most people who don't know about Linux also don't have friends who would have or for that matter, know about Linux either. And who's gonna spend what... 70 quid(?) on the retail when they're probably gonna end up with an fatal X error when they install it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Originally posted by Jokah
    It's like someone in Microsoft was half way through the programming of Microsoft ME and he decided to go make himself a cup of coffee.

When he came back from this break, his boss was waiting saying "i hope that product is ready for tomorrows launch".

He goes "sure boss its ready".....and he hands over a half ass!ed program that has so many flaws and glitches in it, you would have rather have a Gremlin running around the house causing havoc instead of working on a computer running Microsoft ME.

Thats my opinion of Windows ME. Pathetic.

I was working out in MS when ME was going through testing, it was even a joke in Microsoft, just someones pet project, was gonna be dumped at one stage but they thought it would put too many noses out of joint

All I can say is Wow....

Unbelievable. :eek: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

it should be classed as a virus instead of an os, makes your pc slow and unreliable

sisters pc had it, i had great fun one day when her son unplugged the mouse and keyboard while it was running. plugging them back in left them usless, so i pressed the power button, it went into hibernation, preseed it again it restored from hibernation in the same useless state it was in, so pulled out the power cable while it was running, reconnected, powered back up, scan disk, quit that, no sound, re-installed sound card drivers, bloody os wasted 30mins of my life

wonder could i submit winme to norton for their next difinitions update

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

I'm not sure about an Me -> XP upgrade, but an Me -> 2000 upgrade gave me nothing but hassle, so I highly recommend doing a clean install, rather than upgrading over Me.

I'll second that, An upgrade appears to work well for a while but is never as successful as a clean install!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Downgrade to Win98 - cost €0 !

It's no longer end of life so there will be patches.
    I'll say it again - it breaks down more often than 2K but is easier to get going again if you've backup up..

BTW: when you upgrade you inherit problems possibly including some you didn't know you had. Cavat - some scanners only work with 2K if it's an upgrade over 98. Also winmodems may not besupported by 2K or XP.

Might try searching for drivers for all your hardware first, I've found XP to have better driver support then 2k, but install wise
    Better off doing a format and reinstall

• Advertisement
Advertisement